Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your Car is Spying on You

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24, 11:32 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There has got to be a work around.... I have no problem using my cell phone for navigation if I need it rather than the Lexus screen. I DO however want to be able to stream music from my phone Qobuz/Tidal music services.
I have NOT linked my Android phone to the Lexus system yet..... there has got to be a work around....
Other than hands free phone and navigation , what else am I missing by not linking up my phone to the Lexus system ? I guess I could put music on a flash drive and play thru the Lexus head unit.....
Old 03-16-24, 12:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Just link your phone.
Old 03-16-24, 03:33 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just link your phone.
Please provide your proof that you have found that this is safe for keeping personal info out of the system....since you are not bothered by everyone knowing your driving habits I sorta doubt you can substantiate this..... just saying
Old 03-16-24, 04:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
Please provide your proof that you have found that this is safe for keeping personal info out of the system....since you are not bothered by everyone knowing your driving habits I sorta doubt you can substantiate this..... just saying
Who cares? Nobody wants your personal info...quite frankly you're not that important. They want demographic data they can sell.

Google already has access to everything in your phone and is monetizing it anyways. The idea that you would use your phone for navigation to avoid people spying on you is ridiculous, why do you think Google Maps is free? Because they use it to mine data on your behaviors and they sell that data. Toyota is WAY less interested in your demographic data than Google, thats Google's whole business model.

If you want to be sure nobody has access to this stuff you need to stop using smartphones, the internet in general, etc.

I just can't imagine having so little to worry about in my life that I even gave this a second thought . If some company wants to know what music I listen to and how often I drive to Whole Foods they can be my guest.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-16-24 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-16-24, 06:25 PM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Everyone is aware that with one keystroke Google, et al know who and where you are. This discussion all centers around companies harvesting your coordinates, accel/decel rates and how THEY classify them as "rapid" in either direction and selling their “Telematics Exchange,” for a profit.

By the way, like you, SW17LS, each member is entitled to have their own views and concerns. If they don't happen to match yours, that's fine. You seem bent on intimidating and belittling anyone who doesn't share your OPINION.

Old 03-16-24, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not trying to “intimidate” anybody, I just think it’s really silly, and I’m entitled to my opinion. What you describe is not what the poster I replied to was talking about BTW, he was talking about using his phone and being afraid to connect it to his car because of Toyota using data off of it.

You didn’t try to belittle mmarshall for disagreeing with you? Come on lol

Bottom line is if you truly want to not have anything like this recorded you need to just get off the grid.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-16-24 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-16-24, 07:32 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default Swls

Yup. U r entitled to your opinion. We've read it several times. You don't care. The thread and question is.. what can be done to not have your personal info compromised. Some of us do give a damn. You don't. So, if that is your only contribution , You don't help the concern of those of us that do. No need to minimize our concerns as you have attrmpted. That's my opinion that I am entitled to. And I am trying to be as tactful as possible. Period....
Old 03-16-24, 07:54 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

I used to commute 100 miles one way to work and I always used google maps. Soon after I started seeing ads on YouTube videos from businesses that I would pass along my commute. I learned about incognito mode and used that ever since. I want to say it helped some, I could be wrong.

Old 03-16-24, 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yup. U r entitled to your opinion. We've read it several times. You don't care. The thread and question is.. what can be done to not have your personal info compromised. Some of us do give a damn. You don't. So, if that is your only contribution , You don't help the concern of those of us that do. No need to minimize our concerns as you have attrmpted. That's my opinion that I am entitled to. And I am trying to be as tactful as possible. Period....
All you can do is not use these services, that’s all you can do. You can do that or you can make yourself feel better about this information being shared

The whole reason why Google, Apple etc developed these services is to gather information. So, if you use them you’re not going to be able to stop them from doing so.
Old 03-16-24, 08:48 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default Anyone computer savvy have any thoughts on VPN

For those that care about restricting there private info to insurance or other companies while driving, any thoughts on a VPN's effectiveness in 2024?
Old 03-17-24, 04:21 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrocks
Everyone is aware that with one keystroke Google, et al know who and where you are. This discussion all centers around companies harvesting your coordinates, accel/decel rates and how THEY classify them as "rapid" in either direction and selling their “Telematics Exchange,” for a profit.
2 things on this one:

1) Android Auto and Apple Car Play don't work like that. They don't tie into the CANBUS and harvest your car's data. They're screen projection technologies. They present an interface on your infotainment, and accept input from it. They also don't give a car that doesn't already have connectivity, access to the internet.
2) They don't need data from your car anyway. GPS knows your location and speed at all times. So if they wanted to define "rapid acceleration" and "hard braking", they already have all the data they'd need to do so.

So the previous suggestion of using the phone without linking it to AA/CP actually accomplishes nothing except for being inconvenient.
Old 03-17-24, 05:56 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Yup. U r entitled to your opinion. We've read it several times. You don't care. The thread and question is.. what can be done to not have your personal info compromised. Some of us do give a damn.
I think the best one can do for now is to ask Toyota/Lexus exactly what data they gather, and what personal information they have access to. It also makes a difference if the data is anonymized, amd used for generic demographic purposes, or whether it's personalised and passed on to people like insurance companies and other commercial organisations. I don't know what the legisltion is over there, so can't comment on that, but here you have to opt in to have your data shared with third parties.

I can see why some people aren't concerned about it right now, and will accept it in exchange for convenience, but equally I can see how it could easily move in the direction of information gathering and sharing that they might become bothered about one day. One immediate concern is that the more information that's collected about a person, and the more it's shared with others, the more it becomes vulnerable to hackers, who can then use it for a variety of reasons. This already happens today.
Old 03-17-24, 09:51 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

I wonder if apps like Waze, google maps, Apple Maps share places you navigate too. They also can see how fast you travel to said places🫣. I use Waze every time I start my car. I’ll run all 3 Waze google maps and Apple Maps on roadtrips just in case 1 will get me there faster/on a shorter route. Waze is my radar detector. That and the old school way of someone flashing their lights to alert me up ahead.
Old 03-17-24, 10:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Who cares? Nobody wants your personal info...quite frankly you're not that important. They want demographic data they can sell.

Google already has access to everything in your phone and is monetizing it anyways. The idea that you would use your phone for navigation to avoid people spying on you is ridiculous, why do you think Google Maps is free? Because they use it to mine data on your behaviors and they sell that data. Toyota is WAY less interested in your demographic data than Google, thats Google's whole business model.

If you want to be sure nobody has access to this stuff you need to stop using smartphones, the internet in general, etc.

I just can't imagine having so little to worry about in my life that I even gave this a second thought . If some company wants to know what music I listen to and how often I drive to Whole Foods they can be my guest.
Everyone. Does. This.
https://www.driveresearch.com/market...t-pregnancies/
Old 03-17-24, 10:23 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

This isn't about just demographic data anymore, they are using driving habit data to raise insurance rates for people. Once the free trials expire, I won't be subscribing to any of the Lexus services.

Quick Reply: Your Car is Spying on You