Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your Car is Spying on You

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I wonder if apps like Waze, google maps, Apple Maps share places you navigate too. They also can see how fast you travel to said places🫣. I use Waze every time I start my car. I’ll run all 3 Waze google maps and Apple Maps on roadtrips just in case 1 will get me there faster/on a shorter route. Waze is my radar detector. That and the old school way of someone flashing their lights to alert me up ahead.
They all do it. That’s why they are free.

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
This isn't about just demographic data anymore, they are using driving habit data to raise insurance rates for people. Once the free trials expire, I won't be subscribing to any of the Lexus services.
Where has anybody shown Lexus does this? This story is about an opt in program from OnStar which has nothing to do with Lexus.
Old 03-17-24, 11:14 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They all do it. That’s why they are free.

🥴🥴🥴
Old 03-17-24, 11:25 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
2 things on this one:

1) Android Auto and Apple Car Play don't work like that. They don't tie into the CANBUS and harvest your car's data. They're screen projection technologies. They present an interface on your infotainment, and accept input from it. They also don't give a car that doesn't already have connectivity, access to the internet.
2) They don't need data from your car anyway. GPS knows your location and speed at all times. So if they wanted to define "rapid acceleration" and "hard braking", they already have all the data they'd need to do so.

So the previous suggestion of using the phone without linking it to AA/CP actually accomplishes nothing except for being inconvenient.
Correct unless you have an aftermarket system that is standalone, GPS though can be receive only

One thing you can do to help mess up their metrics is have a random browser script to intentionally generate false browsing data to mask the fact your actual stuff is via VPN etc or to just smokescreen what you actually have interests in.
Old 03-17-24, 12:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
One thing you can do to help mess up their metrics is have a random browser script to intentionally generate false browsing data to mask the fact your actual stuff is via VPN etc or to just smokescreen what you actually have interests in.
But....why?
Old 03-17-24, 12:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

But....why?
I don't like targeted ads or people having a profile on me, if I want something I'll research and decide what I want. Plus most thing I buy are so specific that ads just annoy me.....I have most everything blocked as is thankfully.

Modern commercials are just so ungodly irritating and pandering they normally make me HATE products that I would otherwise possibly consider. So I rather just not see any at all
Old 03-17-24, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't like targeted ads or people having a profile on me, if I want something I'll research and decide what I want. Plus most thing I buy are so specific that ads just annoy me.....I have most everything blocked as is thankfully.

Modern commercials are just so ungodly irritating and pandering they normally make me HATE products that I would otherwise possibly consider. So I rather just not see any at all
I totally get that, I just don't get the energy spent to try and come up with fake info. Just block it and be done with it.

Advertising is a necessary part of capitalism
Old 03-17-24, 01:25 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrocks
Will be very interested in what you gentlemen learn.
Yup, i am curious too. It probably won't change anything on my end, but will report back on it when i receive it.
Old 03-17-24, 01:31 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Sw17
you have stated you dont care about companies gathering info on you. You think people who do are silly, yet, you are obviously concerned enough to indicate you are going to check your Lexis Nexis report.....your additional posts are not contributing to the concern about agencies getting our personal info....easy to see how you have "contributed" with over 54,000 meaningful posts.....just sayin ...
Old 03-17-24, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We’re just having a conversation here, and I wasn’t talking to you. Everybody is welcome to contribute to threads and I will post in the threads I want to, thanks. If you don’t want to read my posts you don’t have to.

BTW, I have no intention of checking my Lexis Nexis profile.
Old 03-17-24, 02:09 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Correct unless you have an aftermarket system that is standalone, GPS though can be receive only
My comments were specifically in response to choosing to use smartphone navigation without connecting it to the infotainment; out of concern that connecting it would allow gathering additional telemetry information from the car.
Old 03-17-24, 02:10 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

BTW, I have no intention of checking my Lexis Nexis profile.
Well, you did reply to the following:
Originally Posted by ABC
After reading some of this over the past few days, i ordered a copy of my lexis nexus report. Curious to see what is on it.
With this:
I’m going to do the same thing just for giggles.
Old 03-17-24, 02:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I totally said that, and then I lost interest lol
Old 03-17-24, 02:57 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
Red face Sws

I totally said that, and then I lost interest lol
was that a nervous LOL or a oops... "I mis-spoke LOL".....just checking.... (let us know how you did on your Nexis Lexis report) , perhaps you can post it anonymously
: )

Last edited by Lexicon1; 03-17-24 at 02:58 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-17-24, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It was a laughing lol

Nothing was meant or implied by it!
Old 03-17-24, 03:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I totally get that, I just don't get the energy spent to try and come up with fake info. Just block it and be done with it.

Advertising is a necessary part of capitalism
All good points, I set this stuff up back when I was way more heavily into PC stuff along with my own server with remote access for storing files etc...

Most of this is just carry over from that hobby, since I was already setting stuff like that up I did the randomizer a VM related side project. It's running on 2 cores and 8 gigs continuously generating noise on the "public" side of my network. My stuff is via VPN, pain to do on phones though so if I use apps on here it's "whatever" at this point to me lol!

Quick Reply: Your Car is Spying on You