Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your Car is Spying on You

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 03:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
My comments were specifically in response to choosing to use smartphone navigation without connecting it to the infotainment; out of concern that connecting it would allow gathering additional telemetry information from the car.
Ah nvm then. Yeah a SIM moving from cell to cell is a hella easy way to get a lot of info! That's what clones and burners are for....
Old 03-18-24, 11:22 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

This website indicates that Lexus shares information with insurance companies. Opt out of everything at privacy.toyota.com, I am also going to de-link all my connected car services.

https://vehicleprivacyreport.com/
Old 03-18-24, 02:06 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Only warning. Keep it civil or get booted from the thread
Old 03-18-24, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
This website indicates that Lexus shares information with insurance companies. Opt out of everything at privacy.toyota.com, I am also going to de-link all my connected car services.

https://vehicleprivacyreport.com/
I put in the VIN for my Pacifica and it came back saying that yes it shares with insurance companies, but this is what it said:

As it says it shares information so that they can sell me programs I might be interested in, it does not say information about how I drive will be sold to insurance companies for the purpose of setting my rates. It says they may OFFER me Usage Based Insurance, and I have been offered that and rejected it with no change in my rates.

I have used Chrysler's telematics systems since they became available in 2014, consistently thats over 10 years. I have never received any kind of notice about an increase in my insurance rates nor have my rates gone up any more than rates always go up over time, until this year when I had claims.

I think its important to realize that just because data is shared with these companies does not mean that it is used in the way the data was used in the case this article discusses.

Also clicking on Government tells me this:

So, basically they will respond to a Subpoena...which of course they will

Also note that this information may not be accurate. They say my car lacks all of these features and they are wrong:

This also discusses the type of information they gather, and why:

By the way this site is clearly also gathering information..

I put in the Mercedes, and it was similar...it spoke to Android Auto (still says no CarPlay)

This is why I say don't worry about cars, look at all Google collects:

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-18-24 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-19-24, 07:35 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

That Toyota link will not allow me to delete my personal data from their system, gives some bogus error message about not being able to identify me. I think its a scam to stop people from opting out. Did anyone else have any success deleting their personal data?

https://privacy.toyota.com/
Old 03-19-24, 09:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
That Toyota link will not allow me to delete my personal data from their system, gives some bogus error message about not being able to identify me. I think its a scam to stop people from opting out. Did anyone else have any success deleting their personal data?

https://privacy.toyota.com/
Sounds like a good class action then
Old 03-19-24, 12:47 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

I was blaming the recent crime spikes in NYC area, but it didn't seem to make sense that after 6 months with the car my premium jumped up without any claim or zero tickets in my whole life. It went up around $500 for 6 months.
However I did drive this car very aggressive and have taken it up to very high speeds, who knows but this is really getting out of hand. Understand though, my phone can do same thing as well I am sure.
Old 03-19-24, 02:44 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I remember getting car insurance quotes years ago that asked, "Will this vehicle be used to commute to NYC/NJ?"

I always assumed insurance on a car driven in or around Manhattan was very expensive before all the craziness.
Old 03-19-24, 02:46 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

As far as I'm able to tell from BMW's statements and website, they only provide data as explicitly opted-in to by the owner. You can see what data you've opted to share on the bmw owner website.

It looks like they're not sharing anything for me. I've got my Lexis Nexis report coming to confirm that. Ford is obviously not tracking my data because I have the old Sync 2 and no cellular connectivity. Love my dumb old truck.
Old 03-19-24, 05:22 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
It looks like they're not sharing anything for me. I've got my Lexis Nexis report coming to confirm that. Ford is obviously not tracking my data because I have the old Sync 2 and no cellular connectivity. Love my dumb old truck.
My Ranger has the newer Sync. It shows an option specifically pertaining to this sharing issue, which I have unchecked. That said, I don't think they would find much data from me, since I've only put 7k miles on it in 3 years.
Old 03-24-24, 04:42 PM
BarneyC
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexisnexis FWW

I am also a member of the Corvette Forum where there has recently been growing concern about Lexisnexis collecting and selling our personal driving info to insurance companies and presumably others.

Thought you might be interested in this:

gm announced TODAY that it is suspending data sharing (that screwed its own customers) after a highly critical NY times article and a Federal lawsuit, seeking class action status….

For many of us gm’s totally unacceptable practice of gathering driving data then selling it to data warehouses who then sell it to insurance companies costing drivers untold amounts in increased insurance premiums has been a huge bone of contention…..

gm claims data was only gathered through customer accepted Smartdriver program however numerous owners claim they never signed up for SmartDriver or even Onstar in some instances yet they discovered their driving records along with gm’s software weenie grading system were there for the asking when they contacted LexisNexis and Verisk directly….. and many drivers claim increased insurance premiums after driving gm vehicles…

my car has 85 miles on it and my insurance is very reasonable because I know where I can use my cars performance and where I can’t…. and have no accidents and no tickets on my record….

I am going to call Onstar myself before I bring my car out as well as contact my insurance company to make sure they do not use these underhanded data brokers… I’m really hoping they don’t and/or that type of data gathered without specific consent is not allowed in setting consumer insurance premiums (my state has a lot of consumer protection). I’m hoping what I hear when calling Onstar goes along with today’s announcement… for everyone’s sake….

Then there is the guy in FL who has filed suit in Federal Court and I hope everyone who drives a gm car and has seen significant increases in their insurance premiums sues the **** out of gm as it’s the only thing that will make today’s announcement stick….

Looking forward to a fun Summer of driving without worrying if I accelerated too quickly (what’s a C8 for if you don’t accelerate quickly)….

My understanding is that Lexus/Toyota is also a customer of Lexisnexis....

Barney

Last edited by BarneyC; 03-24-24 at 04:45 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-24-24, 06:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I got my letter from LexisNexis with my code to see what data they have on me.

It just gave me an error. Doesn't feel very good faith on their part.
Old 03-25-24, 06:25 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I got my letter from LexisNexis with my code to see what data they have on me.
I also got my report today. I was able to log in. It is 30 pages long, and just has my basic info (addresses I've lived at, names, businesses, etc). It was basically a watered down credit report, without the fico score. No info from any apps, app reports, no driving records or scores, etc.. which i guess is a good thing.
Old 03-25-24, 07:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
I also got my report today. I was able to log in. It is 30 pages long, and just has my basic info (addresses I've lived at, names, businesses, etc). It was basically a watered down credit report, without the fico score. No info from any apps, app reports, no driving records or scores, etc.. which i guess is a good thing.
Same for me. Only vehicle related stuff there was from my insurance company and drivers license details.

Also oddly had several email addresses listed which were kind of riffed off of ones I do / did have but were not mine. Also some at places like Netzero and Fuse I don't think I have ever had email accounts.
Old 03-26-24, 06:33 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Also oddly had several email addresses listed which were kind of riffed off of ones I do / did have but were not mine. Also some at places like Netzero and Fuse I don't think I have ever had email accounts.
Same here - mine also had a few questionable entries that i thought were odd. Not big enough for me to take action, but definitely not 100% accurate.

Quick Reply: Your Car is Spying on You