Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your Car is Spying on You

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 10:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

That’s great for you. I don’t want to drive a 12 year old car and I want a fully featured phone. People can watch me all they want
Old 04-18-24, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People can watch me all they want
Yep.....agreed. I couldn't care less who is watching. Nothing to hide.

Old 04-18-24, 12:00 PM
dvarapala
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s great for you. I don’t want to drive a 12 year old car and I want a fully featured phone. People can watch me all they want
Originally Posted by mmarshall

In that case, take those curtains off your windows, the locks off your doors, and post up your address - I want to come by and watch you.

But seriously, if you feel the benefits outweigh the costs that's your choice to make. But don't pretend that we don't have a choice.
Old 04-18-24, 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dvarapala
In that case, take those curtains off your windows, the locks off your doors, and post up your address - I want to come by and watch you.

But seriously, if you feel the benefits outweigh the costs that's your choice to make. But don't pretend that we don't have a choice.
That analogy doesn't make any sense, locking your doors to prevent things being stolen from your house is different than not using technology that allows companies to learn demographic marketing data off of you.

You do have choice, the choice is to stop using this technology.
Old 04-18-24, 02:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Emilio Mordini, philosopher and psychoanalyst, argued that the "nothing to hide" argument is inherently paradoxical. People do not need to have "something to hide" in order to hide "something". What is hidden is not necessarily relevant, claims Mordini. Instead, he argues an intimate area which can be both hidden and access-restricted is necessary since, psychologically speaking, we become individuals through the discovery that we could hide something to others.

Bruce Schneier, a computer security expert and cryptographer, expressed opposition, citing a statement widely attributed to Cardinal Richelieu,[11] "Give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I'll find enough to hang him,"
Take away your ability to keep things from others and you are no longer an individual. And you are not being honest you hide many things from others.
Old 04-18-24, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Take away your ability to keep things from others and you are no longer an individual. And you are not being honest you hide many things from others.

You are in no position to tell me (or anyone else on this forum) that they are not being honest about their personal lives.

Have a nice evening.
Old 04-18-24, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The point is, how far do you want to take it? I am not willing to give up using modern technologies like connected cars and smartphones, so if that means people will figure out demographically how often I drive to the CVS, then so be it.
Old 04-18-24, 02:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You are in no position to tell me (or anyone else on this forum) that they are not being honest about their personal lives.
Personal life? How come you have that what are you hiding? Everything about you needs to be public you have nothing to hide.

You just admitted it is valuable and necessary to "hide" things from others.
Old 04-18-24, 03:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I use Google services a lot, and I'm generally fine with having anonymous data collected to use for marketing purposes, but i also think people should be able to decide what data is collected. Part of that is deciding what services to use.

I don't like people who think we have an obligation to be transparent about our lives with everybody. I'm not a criminal or crook just because I'm not willing to open up my entire life to the government or any other interested party.
Old 04-18-24, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t feel like we should have to do that at all, I just don’t really care to be quite honest.
Old 04-18-24, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Personal life? How come you have that what are you hiding? Everything about you needs to be public you have nothing to hide.

You just admitted it is valuable and necessary to "hide" things from others.

I admitted nothing of the kind. I can't speak for others, but my point is that I have nothing to hide in my personal life. If a GPS tracker in my vehicle records every place I drive, I couldn't care less. What will they find?....mostly church, grocery stores, shopping malls, medical appointments, indoor swimming pools at rec centers, and auto dealerships (to look at and evaluate vehicles and sometimes help others shop).

I just don’t really care to be quite honest.
There...Steve hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-18-24 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-18-24, 03:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I admitted nothing of the kind. I can't speak for others, but my point is that I have nothing to hide in my personal life. If a GPS tracker in my vehicle records every place I drive, I couldn't care less. What will they find?....mostly church, grocery stores, shopping malls, medical appointments, indoor swimming pools at rec centers, and auto dealerships (to look at and evaluate vehicles and sometimes help others shop).

There...Steve hit the nail on the head.
You have NO personal life if you don't "hide" things. How you can't grasp this most basic concept escapes me.
Old 04-18-24, 04:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You’re taking the concept to an extreme
Old 04-18-24, 04:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You’re taking the concept to an extreme
You're completely discounting it because you go out of your way to disagree with everything I say. That is extremism.

People that say who cares about privacy because they have nothing to hide in fact hide many things because it is perfectly normal to do so. Personal "my personal life" means belonging to or individual. Giving up info to a company means it doesn't belong to you anymore.

Last edited by LeX2K; 04-18-24 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-18-24, 04:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

You're completely discounting it because you go out of your way to disagree with everything I say. That is extremism.

People that say who cares about privacy because they have nothing to hide in fact hide many things because it is perfectly normal to do so.
​​​​​​Steve's right, you've crossed over to outright condescending and insulting Mmarshall.

Quick Reply: Your Car is Spying on You