Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Your Car is Spying on You

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 04:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
​​​​​​Steve's right, you've crossed over to outright condescending and insulting Mmarshall.
No I'm not I'm stating the obvious everyone hides information about themselves this is a normal part of being a person. Anyone that says they don't do this are simply wrong. mmarshall used the term personal life, it's right there in front of you that means privacy.

Old 04-18-24, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

You're using an absolute and there is no absolute. Just because mmarshall and I don't care if information about us is anonymously tracked by third parties for the purposes of marketing to us does not mean we don't care about privacy and don't want privacy to a certain degree.

Let me ask you this, you are concerned about privacy how can you leave your house? You need to stay locked inside where nobody can see you or know what you are doing if you also want to care about third parties gathering demographic information about you from your car or phone. See? That is equally absurd and is taking it to the extreme in the other direction. Everybody cares about privacy to a certain degree.

As for me wanting to disagree with whatever you say, I was participating in this thread and made my opinion known long before you posted in it. I have absolutely zero interest in what you personally think about anything, and my opinions on any subject aren't impacted by you on any level whatsoever.
Old 04-18-24, 06:44 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You're using an absolute and there is no absolute. Just because mmarshall and I don't care if information about us is anonymously tracked by third parties for the purposes of marketing to us does not mean we don't care about privacy and don't want privacy to a certain degree.

Let me ask you this, you are concerned about privacy how can you leave your house? You need to stay locked inside where nobody can see you or know what you are doing if you also want to care about third parties gathering demographic information about you from your car or phone. See? That is equally absurd and is taking it to the extreme in the other direction. Everybody cares about privacy to a certain degree.

As for me wanting to disagree with whatever you say, I was participating in this thread and made my opinion known long before you posted in it. I have absolutely zero interest in what you personally think about anything, and my opinions on any subject aren't impacted by you on any level whatsoever.
That's not really true. You were all upset because he defends Musk, and believe you even stated that he was the reason you would never buy a Telsa.

Old 04-18-24, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
That's not really true. You were all upset because he defends Musk, and believe you even stated that he was the reason you would never buy a Telsa.

I don't want to drag the thread off-topic, but, since you mentioned not buying a Tesla, it's worth noting that demand for new Teslas is down significantly over last year, and Musk just announced a layoff of 10% of the Tesla workforce.
Old 04-18-24, 07:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't want to drag the thread off-topic, but, since you mentioned not buying a Tesla, it's worth noting that demand for new Teslas is down significantly over last year, and Musk just announced a layoff of 10% of the Tesla workforce.
To avoid derailing this thread post your thoughts on Tesla here

My view on privacy is we need clear disclosure on what info companies use and share. Common tactic is sell to 3rd parties get caught pay a fine. Rinse/repeat the punishment is way less than profit.
Old 04-18-24, 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not at all. I think it’s really funny the way he defends Musk, but he personally has nothing to do with why I wouldn’t buy a Tesla. I said that kind of zealotry is one reason why I wouldn’t buy a Tesla, has nothing to do with him.

Nobody I actually know in real life impacts my opinions let alone anybody on here lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-18-24 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-19-24, 01:48 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

I share some of these EV posts with my friend who owns 2 Teslas and he said someone is using Elon’s burner account 👀🤣

Last edited by BayeauxLex; 04-19-24 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-19-24, 03:53 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Not at all. I think it’s really funny the way he defends Musk, but he personally has nothing to do with why I wouldn’t buy a Tesla. I said that kind of zealotry is one reason why I wouldn’t buy a Tesla, has nothing to do with him.

Nobody I actually know in real life impacts my opinions let alone anybody on here lol
My bad. When you said (direct quote) to LeX2K "You personally have convinced me to never buy a Tesla lol.", I thought you meant he personally had convinced you to never buy a Tesla. LOL

Old 04-19-24, 03:58 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

And why would someone else's zealotry impact your buying decision? You actually look at how crazy other people are over their car or the brand and rule it out for yourself?
Old 04-19-24, 06:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My bad. When you said (direct quote) to LeX2K "You personally have convinced me to never buy a Tesla lol.", I thought you meant he personally had convinced you to never buy a Tesla. LOL
It was hyperbole…the first clue was the “lol”

And why would someone else's zealotry impact your buying decision? You actually look at how crazy other people are over their car or the brand and rule it out for yourself?
I don’t like zealotry, it just turns me off from
products in general, not just Tesla. When there is a lot of hype around something it’s just a turnoff for me. If it was something I really liked I would still buy it (I buy Apple products, as an example) but it definitely keeps me from wanting a product. I have issues with Teslas beyond the zealotry.
Old 04-19-24, 06:13 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Ok. .