Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 05:43 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People have been chasing silence with ICEs forever, finally achieve silence with an EV and now silence is boring!
bravo!!!!👏👏👏👏
well said!!!!!
I still remember the Lexus LS430 brochure saying that Mark Levinson chose / approved of lexus hosting his stereo because of its record quiet cabin
Old 04-08-24, 05:46 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Quiet isn't harder to do in an EV than an ICE, you just have different types of noises a driver hears since there is no engine noise. For me hitting the accelerator and having silent, perfectly smooth power is way better than any engine. There is a very small % of people that are looking for engine noise in their vehicle, and those people are almost all enthusiast buyers and buyers of sporty cars.

Nothing enjoyable about the 4 cyl engine found in most cars, or even V6s. V8s and I6s have nice smooth and linear power and they often feel and sound nice...but even them give me the EV in a daily car.

In our PHEV the drive is much more enjoyable when that V6 stays off.

My V8 truck was louder than both hybrids and the PHEV, but the LX 570 was the most quiet out of all them at 75mph. The truck was the loudest vehicle and it has stock exhaust and tires.
Old 04-08-24, 05:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
My V8 truck was louder than both hybrids and the PHEV, but the LX 570 was the most quiet out of all them at 75mph. The truck was the loudest vehicle and it has stock exhaust and tires.
That makes sense.

It’s not just about the volume of noise though, it’s the quality of what you are hearing out of the engine noise. An LC500’s V8 sounds amazing, a 4cyl Camry does not.
Old 04-08-24, 06:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Quiet isn't harder to do in an EV than an ICE, you just have different types of noises a driver hears since there is no engine noise. For me hitting the accelerator and having silent, perfectly smooth power is way better than any engine. There is a very small % of people that are looking for engine noise in their vehicle, and those people are almost all enthusiast buyers and buyers of sporty cars.

Nothing enjoyable about the 4 cyl engine found in most cars, or even V6s. V8s and I6s have nice smooth and linear power and they often feel and sound nice...but even them give me the EV in a daily car.

In our PHEV the drive is much more enjoyable when that V6 stays off.
‘It is harder to do. Look up R4 and NX more sound deadening, additional dual pane window glass when you get to PHEV. It is harder to mask. Now translate that to a cheap car, it will just make everything more expensive for batteries
Old 04-08-24, 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
‘It is harder to do. Look up R4 and NX more sound deadening, additional dual pane window glass when you get to PHEV. It is harder to mask. Now translate that to a cheap car, it will just make everything more expensive for batteries
I think you are confusing making the hybrid more premium with it requiring more sound deadening. In Toyota and Lexus world, typically the hybrid is the upmarket model, so those models have more sound deadening and laminated glass etc. Why would a car that generates less noise be harder to make quiet?

What is true is that the engine note masks other sounds like road and wind noise, and without the engine note the EV can feel louder at speed, so additional steps need to be taken to seal the car well from those sounds.

Example, I am shopping the 760 vs the i7, the i7 is quieter...not because it has more sound deadening but because obviously there is no acceleration noise, and the battery pack also acts as an insulator in the floor
Old 04-08-24, 06:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think you are confusing making the hybrid more premium with it requiring more sound deadening. In Toyota and Lexus world, typically the hybrid is the upmarket model, so those models have more sound deadening and laminated glass etc. Why would a car that generates less noise be harder to make quiet?
‘No. Sorry, there is no confusion When a PHEV runs in full EV mode, it needs more sound deadening compared to the hybrid or gas model. A $20K EV will never work with a battery.as it will be far to expensive. Then you have to do aerodynamics. But a hydrogen ICE completely works
Old 04-08-24, 06:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

‘No. Sorry, there is no confusion When a PHEV runs in full EV mode, it needs more sound deadening compared to the hybrid or gas model. A $20K EV will never work with a battery.as it will be far to expensive But a hydrogen ICE completely works
That is completely illogical about the sound. I own a PHEV and I owned the same car in an ICE variant and there is no difference in the sound deadening, the new one has laminated glass but thats because its a Pinnacle, the ICE Pinnacle has the same glass. Why does having no engine sound make a car louder? When my engine comes on in my PHEV, the interior gets louder.

Explain to me how an engine that makes more noise than an electric motor makes a car quieter

Low priced EVs will work as battery prices come down. Hell, its getting really hard to find a $20k ICE car...
Old 04-08-24, 06:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
Toyota's 1:6:90 rule

https://energyminute.ca/news/toyotas...e-for-hybrids/

Given limited availability of critical mineral resources, is it better in the near term to take 90 ICE cars off the road and replace them with 90 hybrids or to use those resources to put just 1 BEV on the road?
Interesting arguments from Toyota. Of course, long term, the goal is to replace all transport with BEVs, but that progress is being severely slowed down by lack of critical mineral resources and reluctance of the masses to jump ship due to the usual complaints (range anxiety, lack of charging infrastructure, and high costs).
not this again. i bet this same talking point is pushed out and promoted by oil companies because those 90 hybrids still use gas.
Old 04-08-24, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

When a PHEV runs in full EV mode, it needs more sound deadening compared to the hybrid or gas model.
That is completely illogical about the sound. I own a PHEV and I owned the same car in an ICE variant and there is no difference in the sound deadening, the new one has laminated glass but thats because its a Pinnacle, the ICE Pinnacle has the same glass. Why does having no engine sound make a car louder? When my engine comes on in my PHEV, the interior gets louder.

Explain to me how an engine that makes more noise than an electric motor makes a car quieter

Low priced EVs will work as battery prices come down. Hell, its getting really hard to find a $20k ICE car...

I think what Jill is trying to say is that a BEV (or a hybrid running in electric-mode) is so quiet under the hood that more insulation is needed to simply cover up the road and wind noise, which is less-noticeable with a gas engine.
Old 04-08-24, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think what Jill is trying to say is that a BEV (or a hybrid running in electric-mode) is so quiet under the hood that more insulation is needed to simply cover up the road and wind noise, which is less-noticeable with a gas engine.
No, that’s what I said!
Old 04-08-24, 06:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No, that’s what I said!

It is just cheaper to develop and bulld a ICE hydrogen car than it would be a full BEV car of the same size. Even cheaper if you redevelop a gasoline engine to hydrogen in parallel
Old 04-08-24, 06:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Battery materials are limited but oil isn't seems legit.
Old 04-08-24, 07:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 472 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
He mentions the H2 stored in a solid such as a metal instead of a gas to save volume.

But then dismisses it because the energy loss to then separate the H2 from the solid- but this is where the gains in research will be.

Reason why is because the bond will be ionic and the solid should be a salt and further advancements in a catalyst for the reaction will make bulky tanks not needed anymore because the energy to pull the H2 from the salt will be miniscule and the salt will be a solid.

The H2 combustion is a dead end.

The fuel cell with raw electric output should be the goal(and probably is).

I suspect the H2 combustion was only supposed to be a stop gap, similar to batteries.

Just my theories and ideas so don't shoot me. Lol
​​​
Rather than hydrogen gas, it will be very interesting to see if they can store hydrogen in solids, then HFCEV's will have made big progress to challenge alternative chemistry EV's.
Old 04-08-24, 07:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

The more conversions from one form to another the worse your efficiency.
Old 04-08-24, 07:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 472 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The more conversions from one form to another the worse your efficiency.
True. I'm not much of a hydrogen fan.

Quick Reply: What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?