Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

‘Battery materials will become a national security issue. America is a self sufficient country. Why would you want to go from the world’s largest petroleum production and some of the most wealthiest companies in history to relying on battery materials from Africa?. This sets America backwards. Hydrogen production solves all this as there are two oceans on each coast.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-08-24 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-08-24, 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
‘common sense. America can be energy self sufficient with either gasoline or hydrogen. Eventually Tesla will build hydrogen cars. Relying on lithium and mining from a country on the other side of the world sets America backwards.
think about this. America, Canada, I think, Russia, and maybe a country or two in Europe can be self-sufficient on a number of factors such as agriculture, manufacturing, and energy. Why would you want to rely on on a mined resource from the other side of the world for your energy of cars? That sets America backwards. China is not a self-sufficient country. Hydrogen will absolutely win as it will become a national security risk
but why would America want to rely on a resource from outside of North America? Like I said, the United States is a self-sufficient country. Taking away your energy independence, is backwards when it comes to national security either do it with gasoline or do it with it hydrogen gas.

The American and British and Canadian gas companies will convert if you force them to
you really might consider backing away from the keyboard once in a while and do some research once. here you go:

World's Largest Lithium Reserve Discovered Beneath California's Salton Sea

https://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodities/Worlds-Largest-Lithium-Reserve-Discovered-Beneath-Californias-Salton-Sea.html

or this:

A Caldera in Nevada Now Has the Most Lithium in the World.

According to a new report, the world's largest lithium reserve is nestled along the Oregon-Nevada border in an area known as the McDermitt Caldera.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...nd-in-nevada/#

Originally Posted by LeX2K
* I know hydrogen is the most abundant thing in the universe this is meaningless. There are asteroids out there that contain 100's of tons of gold just as useless, existing doesn't mean available.
that's true. and funny.

There are all kinds of different experiences. Quiet is harder to do in an EV than it is in a ICE so it costs the manufacturers more $$ which just means the buyer pays more
nonsense. cars have basically 3 noise sources... engine, road/tires, and wind. eliminate the enging noose (ev) and the other 2 become more noticeable.

i saw you wrote that quiet is boring... tell that to rolls royce.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
My V8 truck was louder than both hybrids and the PHEV, but the LX 570 was the most quiet out of all them at 75mph. The truck was the loudest vehicle and it has stock exhaust and tires.
again, it's about more than just the engine. an lx570's v8 will lope along quietly at 1500rpm at 70+mph and the car has a lot of sound proofing.

It is just cheaper to develop and bulld a ICE hydrogen car than it would be a full BEV car of the same size. Even cheaper if you redevelop a gasoline engine to hydrogen in parallel
pure nonsense or at best, pure speculation.
Old 04-08-24, 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

ou really might consider backing away from the keyboard once in a while and do some research once. here you go:

https://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodit...alton-Sea.html

or this:

According to a new report, the world's largest lithium reserve is nestled along the Oregon-Nevada border in an area known as the McDermitt Caldera.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you really might consider backing away from the keyboard once in a while and do some research once. here you go:

https://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodities/Worlds-Largest-Lithium-Reserve-Discovered-Beneath-Californias-Salton-Sea.html

or this:

that's true. and funny.

nonsense. cars have basically 3 noise sources... engine, road/tires, and wind. eliminate the enging noose (ev) and the other 2 become more noticeable.

again, it's about more than just the engine. an lx570's v8 will lope along quietly at 1500rpm at 70+mph and the car has a lot of sound proofing.

pure nonsense or at best, pure speculation.
The Rolls Royce EV at the Toronto Auto Show was such a let down

or this:

that's true. and funny.

pure nonsense or at best, pure speculation

Look how expensive it is to fix your EV

ou really might consider backing away from the keyboard once in a while and do some research once. here you go:

https://oilprice.com/Metals/Commodit...alton-Sea.html

or this:

Why would you went to destroy the Earth with mining?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-08-24 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-08-24, 07:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

that's true. and funny.
I have the perfect solution but for some reason we are not doing it, go to Saturn and mine all the hydrogen we need.

Let's be real here hydrogen economy will always be the future that never happens. It makes no sense to produce a gas using electricity, compress it, ship it, pump into tanks, then pump into tanks in a car. Then use that to produce electricity to drive the wheels. This is so dumb. And there will never be hydrogen pipelines at least with oil it can be moved very long distance in pipelines. Also oil can be stored indefinitely hydrogen leaks out of everything you put it in.

It gets worse as has been pointed out before hydrogen acts like a secondary greenhouse gas. Now imagine the devastation of a large scale storage facility exploding it could happen there have already been hydrogen fueling stations that blew up. The level of stupidity using hydrogen as transport boggles the mind.
Old 04-08-24, 07:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

]Man landed on the moon in 1969 with a spacecraft powered by a hydrogen fuel cell.
Old 04-08-24, 07:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Man landed on the moon in 1969 with a spacecraft powered by a hydrogen fuel cell.
Very specific use case battery tech at the time was poor. If fuel cells are so wonderful why doesn't your phone use one. Or your lawn mower, or your cordless tools.
Old 04-08-24, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

It is just cheaper to develop and bulld a ICE hydrogen car than it would be a full BEV car of the same size. Even cheaper if you redevelop a gasoline engine to hydrogen in parallel
You're ignoring the investment necessary in the infrastructure...

The other point is, if carmakers thought that was feasible you would see them doing that...they're not.
Old 04-08-24, 07:46 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I have the perfect solution but for some reason we are not doing it, go to Saturn and mine all the hydrogen we need.

Let's be real here hydrogen economy will always be the future that never happens. It makes no sense to produce a gas using electricity, compress it, ship it, pump into tanks, then pump into tanks in a car. Then use that to produce electricity to drive the wheels. This is so dumb. And there will never be hydrogen pipelines at least with oil it can be moved very long distance in pipelines. Also oil can be stored indefinitely hydrogen leaks out of everything you put it in.

It gets worse as has been pointed out before hydrogen acts like a secondary greenhouse gas. Now imagine the devastation of a large scale storage facility exploding it could happen there have already been hydrogen fueling stations that blew up. The level of stupidity using hydrogen as transport boggles the mind.
My friend, I was referring to hydrogen as in a proton/electron pair

That's all H is.

​​​And in that context, Hydrogen is in everything. Lol

Occuring naturally it's found in the form of H2 gas as everyone knows but is unusable without splitting it apart.
​​​

I won't go any further on it, ya'll can laugh at me that's ok. Lol
Old 04-08-24, 07:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
​​

I won't go any further on it, ya'll can laugh at me that's ok. Lol
Uh, I'm not laughing at you. Let's say the perfect solution was found to store hydrogen that doesn't solve where the hydrogen comes from. Well except my solution.

I can see a time where we have excess electricity and can use that to produce hydrogen but by then I suspect batteries will be so good no one will care.
Old 04-08-24, 08:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

The other point is, if carmakers thought that was feasible you would see them doing that...they're not.
Hydrogen engines have existed for decades.

Spoiler

it is impossible to convert/supply every single vehicle on earth to batteries. For net zero happen, you need another alternative/solution.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-08-24 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-08-24, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Hydrogen engines have existed for decades but there has never been any serious push towards their use in mainstream cars, there are reasons for that.
Old 04-08-24, 09:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I don't understand the attachment to hydrogen by some it's never proven to be viable even Toyota couldn't pull it off and they are not exactly lacking when it comes to engineering. Mirai is not a great vehicles it's expensive, slow, poor interior space and impossible to own outside of a very small area.

Not that it matters Toyota has hitched their wagon to gas hybrids, hyrogen is irrelevant to them.
Old 04-08-24, 09:58 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Future of energy is nuclear fission. If it can power a sub for 30 years, at smaller scale should be able to power any car for its lifetime.

https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/n...-possibility/#
Old 04-09-24, 12:02 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't understand the attachment to hydrogen by some it's never proven to be viable even Toyota couldn't pull it off and they are not exactly lacking when it comes to engineering
It's the cool factor. Let's face it, batteries aren't really cool (apologies to my own cars!)

But yeah, from the look of things smaller vehicles will remain fossil-fuel/battery for now.

It's in larger, long range commercial and passenger equipment that H2 might actually be more viable, probably due to the longer ranges, lighter weight, and faster refueling.

https://www.railway-technology.com/news/california-six-more-hydrogen-trains-stadler/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hydrogen-fuel-is-gaining-traction-with-truckers-20fca3e3

Last edited by asj2024; 04-09-24 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-09-24, 04:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by asj2024
It's the cool factor. Let's face it, batteries aren't really cool (apologies to my own cars!)

But yeah, from the look of things smaller vehicles will remain fossil-fuel/battery for now.

It's in larger, long range commercial and passenger equipment that H2 might actually be more viable, probably due to the longer ranges, lighter weight, and faster refueling.

https://www.railway-technology.com/news/california-six-more-hydrogen-trains-stadler/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hydrogen-fuel-is-gaining-traction-with-truckers-20fca3e3
Fuel cell vehicles are no cooler than a hybrid or a plug in hybrid. They work the same, only difference is the gasoline engine is replaced with a fuel cell and the tanks are swapped. Everything else remains the same. Toyota Crown gas hybrid of fuel cell. Honda has a new CRV fuel cell plug in. BMW has the same thing for the X5

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hydrogen engines have existed for decades but there has never been any serious push towards their use in mainstream cars, there are reasons for that.
You had no idea they already existed. In twin turbo V12 hybrid form that is from Aston Martin in a racing spec designed for endurance
. There is no way batteries can supply every vehicle need on the planet and batteries only store energy unlike hydrogen which can actually create electricity.
A carbon free world will not occur with just batteries

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-09-24 at 04:15 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?