Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 05:01 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Fuel cell vehicles are no cooler than a hybrid or a plug in hybrid. They work the same, only difference is the gasoline engine is replaced with a fuel cell and the tanks are swapped
A car that sucks in O2 and pees water is not cool to you?

Like I said, if I was in CA I'd be one of those poor schumcks buying a H2 car. Just so I could amaze my friends about it!

Would help if the thing were hybrid and it could exist partly on gas. That's where Toyota made a mistake...it did not do what it did earlier that made gas hybrids so popular. I think that's hard to manufacture though (someone correct me)

There was an attempt to make a hydrogen plugin though by Ford:

https://greencarjournal.com/alternat...in-our-future/

There also currently is a niche manufacturer trying to do the same:

https://energy.revozero.com/

Old 04-09-24, 05:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
Like I said, if I was in CA I'd be one of those poor schumcks buying a H2 car. Just so I could amaze my friends about it!
"Amazing my friends" is a pretty weak reason to pay $50-70k for a Corolla, IMO.

Would help if the thing were hybrid and it could exist partly on gas. That's where Toyota made a mistake...it did not do what it did earlier that made gas hybrids so popular. I think that's hard to manufacture though (someone correct me)
There's no room. The H2 tanks are HUGE, and already consume too much space that would otherwise be part of the interior. That's why, despite being the size of an Executive class sedan or a short wheelbase S-class on the outside, the Mirai is classified as a Compact car by the EPA. Now you want to add an engine, transmission, additional electric motor, exhaust system, and a gas tank. You're left with a 2 seater the size of a long-wheelbase S-class with no trunk that costs almost $100k and has to be fueled at two different stations.

Last edited by geko29; 04-09-24 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-09-24, 05:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

]Man landed on the moon in 1969 with a spacecraft powered by a hydrogen fuel cell.

An excellent point, although I would also point out that was 1960s technology and not what we have today. Today, the average new vehicle in the American market has more computing power in its electronics than the central computer in the Saturn V rocket that went to the moon.
Old 04-09-24, 05:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29

There's no room. The H2 tanks are HUGE, and already consume too much space that would otherwise be part of the interior. That's why, despite being the size of an Executive class sedan or a short wheelbase S-class on the outside, the Mirai is classified as a Compact car by the EPA. Now you want to add an engine, transmission, additional electric motor, exhaust system, and a gas tank. You're left with a 2 seater the size of a long-wheelbase S-class with no trunk that costs almost $100k and has to be fueled at two different stations.
The new CRV plug-in fuel cell and gas plug-in co-exist. Space works fine

/
earlier. what do you mean a mistake? It is not hard to manufacture a hydrogen fuel cell car.

A car that sucks in O2 and pees water is not cool to you?
haha. Lol

QUOTE=mmarshall;11703550]An excellent point, although I would also point out that was 1960s technology and not what we have today. Today, the average new vehicle in the American market has more computing power in its electronics than the central computer in the Saturn V rocket that went to the moon.[/QUOTE]

The space shuttle was powered by fuel cells so it could operate in space I think there were 4 fuel cells. They used this for 40 years.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for quoting my post FOUR TIMES in your reply. pwi is an issue.

i'm sure rolls royce is disappointed to know your feelings about their spectacular car.

did you even watch the video? or this much more thorough follow-up.

https://youtu.be/EEXieo06ta8?si=Wwtlp3HkqmL3R2V_

from what i can tell, the TWO instances in Canada of someone driving over something big in the road (one was ironically an ice EXHAUST), damaged the battery COVER, but the cars were still drivable, could still be charged, etc. nothing to see here, but because of confusion by dealers and insurance and obvious liability concerns they leaned to battery replacement or, because of the huge price to do so, writing off the car. regardless, it was ultimately an insurance issue, so the customers didn't end up paying anything.

hyundai (and other ev makers) are going to have to provide better answers / policies, but as much as you hate them, their ev's are going to continue to be sold. the new kia ev9 will be a huge hit for example.

another simplistic question. why do you drive planet destroying vehicles? why do you use electricity, produced there in hydroelectric dams, probably killing millions of fish? why do you exhale co2 killing the planet? why get out of bed?

55 years ago and still no hydrogen consumer cars except in minuscule numbers.

and still irrelevant.
It’s difficult to cut and paste on iPad.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-09-24 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-09-24, 05:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

The Rolls Royce EV at the Toronto Auto Show was such a let down
thanks for quoting my post FOUR TIMES in your reply. pwi is an issue.

i'm sure rolls royce is disappointed to know your feelings about their spectacular car.

Look how expensive it is to fix your EV
did you even watch the video? or this much more thorough follow-up.

from what i can tell, the TWO instances in Canada of someone driving over something big in the road (one was ironically an ice EXHAUST), damaged the battery COVER, but the cars were still drivable, could still be charged, etc. nothing to see here, but because of confusion by dealers and insurance and obvious liability concerns they leaned to battery replacement or, because of the huge price to do so, writing off the car. regardless, it was ultimately an insurance issue, so the customers didn't end up paying anything.

hyundai (and other ev makers) are going to have to provide better answers / policies, but as much as you hate them, their ev's are going to continue to be sold. the new kia ev9 will be a huge hit for example.

Why would you went to destroy the Earth with mining?
another simplistic question. why do you drive planet destroying vehicles? why do you use electricity, produced there in hydroelectric dams, probably killing millions of fish? why do you exhale co2 killing the planet? why get out of bed?

]Man landed on the moon in 1969 with a spacecraft powered by a hydrogen fuel cell.
55 years ago and still no hydrogen consumer cars except in minuscule numbers.

Hydrogen engines have existed for decades.
and still irrelevant.
Old 04-09-24, 05:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

That has a fuel cell OR a gas engine. Not both.
Old 04-09-24, 05:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

You had no idea they already existed. In twin turbo V12 hybrid form that is from Aston Martin in a racing spec designed for endurance
. There is no way batteries can supply every vehicle need on the planet and batteries only store energy unlike hydrogen which can actually create electricity.
A carbon free world will not occur with just batteries
That isn’t true. I’m well aware those engines existed.
Old 04-09-24, 05:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That has a fuel cell OR a gas engine. Not both.
yeah. Not saying both in same vehicle but both in the sense that Honda is able to manufacture either or on the same assembly line as well as regular gas

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-09-24 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-09-24, 06:13 AM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Future of energy is nuclear fission. If it can power a sub for 30 years, at smaller scale should be able to power any car for its lifetime. https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/n...-possibility/#
Fallout? Haha
Old 04-09-24, 06:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

yeah. Not saying both in same vehicle but both in the sense that Honda is able to manufacture either or on the same assembly line as well as regular gas
Right. But the ask I was responding to was to make the Mirai a hybrid that could run on gasoline as well as Hydrogen, depending on what was available.
Old 04-09-24, 07:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Right. But the ask I was responding to was to make the Mirai a hybrid that could run on gasoline as well as Hydrogen, depending on what was available.
I get what you mean now
Old 04-09-24, 07:55 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Hey, I have insecurity issues.

There's no room. The H2 tanks are HUGE, and already consume too much space that would otherwise be part of the interior.
Yeah I figured that, more's the pity. I also am wondering why the fuel is so expensive when H2 is already being produced in huge quantities for other commercial uses (in 2018, 10 million metric tons were produced in USA alone)

This is why H2 is perfect for larger vehicles that don't necessarily care as much about volume used, but care about longer ranges, faster refueling times, and lower weight.

Old 04-09-24, 08:00 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Now THIS is interesting...a plug in H2 car

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-au...ectric-vehicle

Why couldn't Toyota do the same?

Old 04-09-24, 08:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Now THIS is interesting...a plug in H2 car

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-au...ectric-vehicle

Why couldn't Toyota do the same?
Toyota absolutely can

Hey, I have insecurity issues.

Yeah I figured that, more's the pity. I also am wondering why the fuel is so expensive when H2 is already being produced in huge quantities for other commercial uses (in 2018, 10 million metric tons were produced in USA alone)

This is why H2 is perfect for larger vehicles that don't necessarily care as much about volume used, but care about longer ranges, faster refueling times, and lower weight.
what is the cost of H2 now ?
Old 04-09-24, 08:30 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Toyota absolutely can
what is the cost of H2 now ?
So, according to this the non-green H2 is $0.98 to $2.93 per kg...

In fact, H2 is actually the cheapest fuel around according to some sites, more than gas even.

IF you use the gray H2, and IF the infrastructure is there to get it to the cars.

The cost of Mirai fueling at the pump right now is $36/kg!!!! The MIrai tank hold 5.6 kg of fuel, so to fill up you'd need to spend more than $200.

If the cost of that was 10x less at $3.60/kg, then things would turn out different. That price is still above the highest cost of gray H2, so can add in transport costs, etc.

https://about.bnef.com/blog/green-hy...end-of-decade/

“Gray hydrogen, which comes from natural gas, costs $0.98-$2.93 per kilogram to produce. Blue hydrogen, or hydrogen produced with fossil fuels but subject to carbon capture, costs $1.8-$4.7 per kilogram. And green hydrogen, which is produced by running an electric charge through water, costs a whopping $4.5-$12 per kilo. In every single market we’ve surveyed, green hydrogen is more expensive than its gray counterpart.”

Last edited by asj2024; 04-09-24 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?