Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 02:51 AM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Level 2 at home was a game changer for me. 4k+ miles between fuel fill ups. I have almost 19k miles and I may be on my 4th tank of gas. 1st tank was 3,325 miles. Next tank was 6,500+ miles. 2 road trips. So maybe 5 tanks including the tank from the dealership. I wish there were a way you could tell. I bet Toyota has a way of knowing.

I keep my level 1 charger in the car.
you know that fuel degrades in the tank right? I would not buy a car where a tank of fuel has been sitting there for 3000 miles.
Old 04-13-24, 05:02 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
you know that fuel degrades in the tank right? I would not buy a car where a tank of fuel has been sitting there for 3000 miles.
Pressurized fuel tank I think, like mine. Supposedly prevents quick fuel degradation, although it is recommended you use HV mode once in awhile.
Old 04-13-24, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
It doesn't degrade that fast.
Old 04-13-24, 11:40 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
A modern sealed tank can sit a very long time without issue
Old 04-13-24, 02:35 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Originally Posted by asj2024
Pressurized fuel tank I think, like mine. Supposedly prevents quick fuel degradation, although it is recommended you use HV mode once in awhile.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
It doesn't degrade that fast.
Originally Posted by Striker223
A modern sealed tank can sit a very long time without issue
Over my 1yr of ownership I suspect my gas engine turned on twice while in EV mode. I would notice my HV range would be 1 mile less than before. I’m not totally sure when it happened, I assumed it happened at some point (the transition from EV to HV is very seamless unless you put your foot down and you will instantly notice the extra power from the gas engine). Maybe it’s some type of technology built in that allows the engine to turn on for a short period of time

Knowing that I go long periods of time between fill ups, I will use non ethanol gas. She drives the R4P on weekends. Plus she drives so much, she will run thru all of the EV range and dip into some gas. For months I drove around everyday solely on EV range with 1 mile of HV range, never dipping into the HV range. That kept her from driving all over the place. Finally I got tired of hearing “when are you going to put some gas in the Rav” so I keep gas in it so she can drive her little heart (ev range and gas range) out.
Old 04-13-24, 04:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 488 Likes on 323 Posts

Make sure you fill up at least once every 3 months, otherwise oxidation causes the combustion efficiency to fall.
Old 04-13-24, 04:16 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Make sure you fill up at least once every 3 months, otherwise oxidation causes the combustion efficiency to fall.
Thanks will do.

I’ve thought about maybe refueling to half tank which would cause me refuel more frequently.

I honestly don’t remember the last time I put fuel in it. 🫣 I just reset trip A whenever I do.
Old 04-13-24, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

With plugins, it's just one more thing that people have to do. It might have been a long day, they're tired, all they want is to go home, watch some TV and have dinner. Park the darn car and get on with life.
this is absurd. it takes my 5 seconds to plugin my ev.

Also, there is the point that MANY MANY people don't have easy access to home chargers. So, something more to worry about, charging outside the home.
agree that ev's for those who can't charge at home really aren't a great fit.
Old 04-13-24, 11:25 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is absurd. it takes my 5 seconds to plugin my ev.
1. Perhaps for you, but it's STILL much easier not to have to worry about doing this at all.

2. It takes more than 5 seconds. Have to pull into the garage, walk to the back, unlock the cover, unwind and maybe plugin the connector system, remove the caps on both ends, plug it in, check to make sure things are right. At least a minute or two, can be more.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agree that ev's for those who can't charge at home really aren't a great fit.
One survey found 78% of people said they had no access to charging at home. That's a big chunk of potential buyers.
Old 04-14-24, 12:35 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I been thinking a lot about this thread and I can see how hybrids are attractive to people who drive a lot of miles.

What I like about the hybrids from Toyota is the battery pack is accessible under the back seats.

That's in the older Lexus', not sure about the newer ones.

For people like myself who don't drive a lot of miles, a hybrid doesn't get me excited

Ok I'll just say it.
I think Toyota is doing what they should with the hybrids

If and when the whole world moves to full EV, then and only then can I see it worth their time to go full EV but not until then.

More likely scenario is they will drizzle out some PHEVs and maybe some EVs but it won't be bread and butter for a while.

I don't see why they get such a hard time.
If someone wants an EV, gosh there's LOTS of choices. Lol
Old 04-14-24, 06:19 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by Margate330
I don't see why they get such a hard time.
If someone wants an EV, gosh there's LOTS of choices. Lol
Yep. Though the startup BEVs are starting to fall like dominoes. Fisker is probably gone for now, Lucid is in trouble, so is Rivian, Canoo, and Lordstown too. All of them not making money and just a tip away from bankruptcy. Even the first mover Tesla is resorting to staggering price cuts and current vaporware.

But that still leaves you with choices from traditional carmakers, who have not abandoned the BEV space even if they are losing money on it or not making good enough money. One of my brothers has bought the Kia EV9, which has also won some awards.

Funnily enough, Hyundai (and Honda) now seems to have bought the "self-charging" moniker for its HEVs that Toyota had been mocked for earlier. Personally, I'm fine with the name...I mean, the battery does "self charge" using regen lol

On another note, I just saw this vid that explains why H2 is not exactly the cleanest solution (at least right now). I'm a booster of H2 (simply because it tickles my science fiction bone), but now at least I have to admit that there might be problems to this technology when it comes to providing clean solutions due to its sourcing (just like batteries). I'm not blind or a total fanboi, and I can pivot to criticize stuff I at first supported with less information.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-14-24 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-14-24, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

1. Perhaps for you, but it's STILL much easier not to have to worry about doing this at all.

2. It takes more than 5 seconds. Have to pull into the garage, walk to the back, unlock the cover, unwind and maybe plugin the connector system, remove the caps on both ends, plug it in, check to make sure things are right. At least a minute or two, can be more.
No, its not because you replace plugging the car in with getting gas outside your home. It takes 5 seconds, we do it every day and so does bit. A minute or two? LOL set a timer and stand in your garage and see how long 1 or two minutes is, its a LONG time. You just grab the plug, plug it into the car and thats it.

One survey found 78% of people said they had no access to charging at home. That's a big chunk of potential buyers.
Thats not logical when 77% of people in America live in a house and not an apartment.

Yep. Though the startup BEVs are starting to fall like dominoes. Fisker is probably gone for now, Lucid is in trouble, so is Rivian, Canoo, and Lordstown too. All of them not making money and just a tip away from bankruptcy. Even the first mover Tesla is resorting to staggering price cuts and current vaporware.
How are you not a billionaire with the ability to see the future?
Old 04-14-24, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So I made a video. Getting out of the car, grabbing the charger, and plugging it in. Its slightly slower than normal because I am holding the phone, filming, and using my left hand. 1-2 minutes? Not quite lol. No plugging it into the wall because its left plugged in for use multiple times a day, nothing to check and make sure it works...because it just works...and when you walk around the front of the car normally you see the lights come on. You also get a phone notification that charging has started.

Anti-EV people tout this as being some arduous thing that you have to do, but its no big deal and it becomes automatic as part of the process of parking and getting ready to drive your car, you don't even think about it.
Old 04-14-24, 09:25 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Anti-EV people tout this as being some arduous thing that you have to do, but its no big deal and it becomes automatic as part of the process of parking and getting ready to drive your car, you don't even think about it.
So easy a caveman can do it!
Old 04-14-24, 09:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

This is supposed to be a thread about hybrids and all the talk is about electric vehicles why is that?

Quick Reply: What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?