Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 09:46 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
On another note, I just saw this vid that explains why H2 is not exactly the cleanest solution (at least right now). I'm a booster of H2 (simply because it tickles my science fiction bone), but now at least I have to admit that there might be problems to this technology when it comes to providing clean solutions due to its sourcing (just like batteries). I'm not blind or a total fanboi, and I can pivot to criticize stuff I at first supported with less information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zklo4Z1SqkE
Sorry for another double post ya'll, for some reason I have no reply button in my browser for some reason today so multi-quote doesn't work, I have to quote each post to reply.

Anyway, I've watched many of Sabrine's videos over the years and she is good but I find I disagree with her often, as do many others do too.

I won't go in too deep here but I've been waiting for 30 years for transmutation thru light aka manipulating the aether via electro magnetic radiation..
Every couple years I take a look online to see what's new and how far they have come and I looked last night and there is some exciting stuff.

H2 has a lot of pluses if nuclear energy was abundant by simple electrolysis.
Problem, as the video mentions, is the volatility with Hydrogen as an H2 gas form and also the low density requiring high pressures to store it in any meaningful amount.
Definitely doable if things were different but is still a stop gap.
(i don't buy into the green stuff, story for another day, not here.).

The way I see it, the tech will move two ways, towards a solid fuel source and towards better electrical storage.
IMO, a carbon atom is most efficient in holding H atoms(proton/electron pairs).
Combine with a metal and possibly a salt and light, get a reusable proton pumper solid electric fuel source.

Just theories and been waiting many years to see it, maybe it will be in this lifetime...We will see..

That's all I have on that for now.
Old 04-14-24, 10:07 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is supposed to be a thread about hybrids and all the talk is about electric vehicles why is that?
1. Maybe because hybrids are electric vehicles too? You know, Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs).

2. Plus, PHEVs that Toyota pushed out to their various models are also EVs.

3. I also remember some people chiming in about BEVs or zero emissions vehicles and how Toyota is wrong (*points to you*), although BEVs are already in the OP as it was mentioned that hybrids could be stepping stones to full electric.

Not sure how H2 came into the equation, but I think because Toyota is exploring that as a counterpoint to non-FCEV (HEV/PHEV/BEV)

Old 04-14-24, 10:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I don’t consider any non plugin vehicle an EV, electrified maybe, but unless you have the ability to truly run it on electricity, it’s not an EV
Old 04-14-24, 10:13 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by Margate330
I won't go in too deep here but I've been waiting for 30 years for transmutation thru light aka manipulating the aether via electro magnetic radiation..
Every couple years I take a look online to see what's new and how far they have come and I looked last night and there is some exciting stuff..
Hmmmm...that sounds like complete SF

Originally Posted by Margate330
H2 has a lot of pluses if nuclear energy was abundant by simple electrolysis.
I think the source of the H2 is the main problem, and storage and leak are side problems that can be solved easier. To me, it matters where the H2 comes from in the long run. I don't think adding another layer to the energy chain to cars (by using fossil fuels to make H2) makes sense.

I have not as much problem with nuclear as some people.

Old 04-14-24, 10:18 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t consider any non plugin vehicle an EV, electrified maybe, but unless you have the ability to truly run it on electricity, it’s not an EV
Well, that's your definition. And in the end it's semantics. Like BEVs, HEVs and PHEVs also need to use electric batteries as integral parts of their vehicle propulsion and function. It's a part of their identity. Strip out the traction battery of any one of them, and they're just ICE vehicles.

An HEV can also run on electric-only for around a mile at low speeds.

Old 04-14-24, 10:19 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 727 Likes on 455 Posts

1. Maybe because hybrids are electric vehicles too? You know, Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs).
So let's look at that, because this wasn't a term Toyota used until relatively recently and they only started using it deceptively as they had/have no actual electric vehicle strategy.

Go back and look at the press release launching the gen 2 Prius, without doubt the most iconic.

Absolutely zero mention of hybrid electric (directly or indirectly), and very little focus on the electric component in the powertrain.

It was sold and marketed as a hybrid vehicle. It's only lately Toyota started using this (and other deceptive terms like self-charging hybrid) because they are trying to polish the turd and get onto the EV bandwagon by association (and misrepresentation).
Old 04-14-24, 10:22 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
100% supports my definition. If you can't hit your vehicles top speed in EV-only mode, if you can't get maximum acceleration in EV-only mode and/or you're only able to get an EV only range around or less than the average driver's daily requirement you're not driving anything I'd define as an EV.
Old 04-14-24, 10:45 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by swajames
So let's look at that, because this wasn't a term Toyota used until relatively recently and they only started using it deceptively as they had/have no actual electric vehicle strategy.....It was sold and marketed as a hybrid vehicle. It's only lately Toyota started using this (and other deceptive terms like self-charging hybrid) because they are trying to polish the turd and get onto the EV bandwagon by association (and misrepresentation).
Regardless of the source, it's not just Toyota using that term (HEV).

Government does too:

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric

All-electric vehicles—also referred to as battery electric vehicles (BEVs)—plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), and hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) all use electricity to improve vehicle efficiency. In colloquial references, these three vehicle types are sometimes called electric cars, electric-drive vehicles, electric vehicles, or simply EVs
rive vehicles, electric vehicles, or simply EVs
So does pretty much all other sources. For example:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...rs-11617986782

When it comes to types of electric vehicles (EVs), the choices people can buy go far beyond those powered by batteries alone. These days, they can find all types, including options that rely on fuel cells or combine a gas engine in hybrid and plug-in hybrids. Generally speaking, there are several main types of electric cars we’ll talk about...

Even companies associated with plug in charging consider HEVs to be just another type of EV:

https://www.evgo.com/ev-drivers/types-of-evs/

So, how random anonymous posters on a forum decide which is an electric vehicle and which isn't due to their personal biases, does not actually matter to me.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-14-24 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-14-24, 10:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

May as well merge EV Chat with Car Chat at this point.
Old 04-14-24, 10:49 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
May as well merge EV Chat with Car Chat at this point.
No! DaveGS4, if you're around please don't lol!
Old 04-14-24, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Well, that's your definition. And in the end it's semantics. Like BEVs, HEVs and PHEVs also need to use electric batteries as integral parts of their vehicle propulsion and function. It's a part of their identity. Strip out the traction battery of any one of them, and they're just ICE vehicles.

It’s not only my definition. Hybrids are not eligible for federal or state EV tax credits or special EV perks like parking and access to HOV lanes, PHEVs are. CL also does not consider hybrids EVs.
Old 04-14-24, 11:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Even companies associated with plug in charging consider HEVs to be just another type of EV:

https://www.evgo.com/ev-drivers/types-of-evs/

So, how random anonymous posters on a forum decide which is an electric vehicle and which isn't for themselves due to their personal biases, does not actually matter to me.
Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs)Low-emission vehicles that use an electric motor to assist gas-powered engines. All energy comes from gasoline.
Electric vehicles don't use only gasoline.
Old 04-14-24, 11:13 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Old 04-14-24, 11:44 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

So, how random anonymous posters on a forum decide which is an electric vehicle and which isn't due to their personal biases, does not actually matter to me.
Very easy my friend.

I'm not obligated to go along with anyone's definition on anything, I don't care who says it. Lol

Especially when things continually get "redefined" in our society until all meaning is lost and we aren't talking about the same thing anymore. Lol

I think a Hybrid can be more accurately described as an electric assist but not to be confused with an EV.

Phev seems to be somewhere in the middle and a true hybrid, again, just IMO. 🤖. 🤓. 🛻