Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-24, 10:56 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 472 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
Work such as this that could double BEV range would be useful

https://scitechdaily.com/stanford-li...tric-vehicles/

But even then, I have a feeling a sizeable chunk of the public will still resist it, perhaps because of political ideology, tech anxiety, or other reasons. Thus, hybrids will be with us for a long time still.
Lithium ion powered EV's have only niched, and have not become mainstream because while lithium ion is decent, it still has many issues including rarely mentioned political issues as warmongering states withold production and sales; for example, warmongering states are even witholding the production of gallium and germanium so that Taiwan and the US are limited in the manufacture of chips.

The answer is alternative chemistry batteries.
It depends how good the new alternative battery chemistries are.
If the first batch of alternative chemistry batteries aren't that great, then TMC hybrids will continue to sell well as a stop gap.
However, if the alternative chemistry batteries are a genuine hit, then EV sales will spike, and the mainstream market will transition to EV's.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-07-24 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-07-24, 01:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

if everyone could just agree that gasoline, gasoline hybrid, diesel, diesel, hybrid, battery electric, and hydrogen fuel cells, could all coexist and live together eventually, you’d get to net zero industry with hydrogen being the end solution. Different solutions for different markets until then

Spoiler

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-07-24 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-07-24, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I don't think all of those technologies can or will coexist. The infrastructure for Hydrogen vs EV for instance is totally different...I agree that gas and hybrid and EV will coexist for a long, long time to come but hydrogen isn't going to be the solution.
Old 04-07-24, 01:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
but hydrogen isn't going to be the solution.
. It is impossible for battery electric to be the solution for every person on earth for the rest of humanity. Hydrogen absolutely is the endgame solution. there’s no question about that
Old 04-07-24, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
. It is impossible for battery electric to be the solution for every person on earth for the rest of humanity. Hydrogen absolutely is the endgame solution. there’s no question about that
How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Who said for the rest of humanity? There is no "endgame solution"...new technologies will come along, might we see Hydrogen cars en masse 100 years from now? Sure but in our lifetimes EV has too big a head start to make that feasible.
Old 04-07-24, 01:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

How did you arrive at that conclusion?
‘common sense. America can be energy self sufficient with either gasoline or hydrogen. Eventually Tesla will build hydrogen cars. Relying on lithium and mining from a country on the other side of the world sets America backwards.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-07-24 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-07-24, 02:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla's not building hydrogen cars lol
Old 04-07-24, 02:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla's not building hydrogen cars lol
think about this. America, Canada, I think, Russia, and maybe a country or two in Europe can be self-sufficient on a number of factors such as agriculture, manufacturing, and energy. Why would you want to rely on on a mined resource from the other side of the world for your energy of cars? That sets America backwards. China is not a self-sufficient country. Hydrogen will absolutely win as it will become a national security risk
Old 04-07-24, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I understand that viewpoint, but that doesn't mean that all of a sudden people are going to reverse course on all of the investments made in EVs and EV architecture and chase another technology from scratch.
Old 04-07-24, 02:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I understand that viewpoint, but that doesn't mean that all of a sudden people are going to reverse course on all of the investments made in EVs and EV architecture and chase another technology from scratch.
‘but they are reversing course. Not a full reverse. But GM and Ford will now chase gas hybrids and I guarantee manufacturers will be far less confident is investing as freely into batteries and they recently did. Batteries simply do not work for everyone whereas gasoline and hydrogen can be the solution

look at the Vinfast models sitting on the lot near me. I took this today. (But a waiting list for a Toyota hybrid)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-07-24 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Fa
Old 04-07-24, 02:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Theres a difference between delaying EVs for Hybrids and trying to adopt yet another powertrain design requiring extensive nationwide architecture which doesn't exist.
Old 04-07-24, 02:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Theres a difference between delaying EVs for Hybrids and trying to adopt yet another powertrain design requiring extensive nationwide architecture which doesn't exist.
a proper electrical grid that can support 15-17 million new electric vehicles in the USA doesn’t exist either.
Old 04-07-24, 02:39 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 472 Likes on 312 Posts

I don't think all of those technologies can or will coexist. The infrastructure for Hydrogen vs EV for instance is totally different...I agree that gas and hybrid and EV will coexist for a long, long time to come but hydrogen isn't going to be the solution.
True.

You mean it is too difficult for lithium ion to be a solution.
However, solutions can be found with alternative chemistry battery breakthroughs - which surely will come in the next decade.
Old 04-07-24, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

a proper electrical grid that can support 15-17 million new electric vehicles in the USA doesn’t exist either.
But the electrical grid exists and can be upgraded. There is NO hydrogen infrastructure at all.
Old 04-07-24, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But the electrical grid exists and can be upgraded.
but why would America want to rely on a resource from outside of North America? Like I said, the United States is a self-sufficient country. Taking away your energy independence, is backwards when it comes to national security either do it with gasoline or do it with it hydrogen gas.

There is NO hydrogen infrastructure at all.
The American and British and Canadian gas companies will convert if you force them to

Quick Reply: What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?