Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-24, 05:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Too hypothetical a question to be answered in a hard number.
You can't seriously expect us to move to hydrogen transport without knowing how much energy it will require. You must have some idea since you say hydrogen is viable but EVs are not. What if I told you it requires 2x the amount of electricity to move an H2 car the same distance as an EV would that change your mind?

Even the EPA mostly agrees
https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=47283
This is generous to the Mirai IMO but still, a competing EV to the Mirai gets 125MPGe. At minimum an EV requires 40% less energy from the grid.
Well, obviously they all won't be (literally) charging at once, but there will definitely be times of peak demand, particularly overnight, and if and when that is also combined with very hot or cold weather when many people are also using their electric furnaces or air conditioners non-stop, which takes a lot of energy, could overstrain the system.

BTW, I am not the only one to be concerned about this matter. It is becoming more and more recognized as a potential issue....even among the most avid supporters of BEVs.
What about making hydrogen via electrolysis that won't be at peak times? Why not? What makes electrolysis special.
Old 04-07-24, 06:19 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

They are clearly making cars people want to buy.

When people stop buying them, I will start to worry for Toyota. Lol
​​​​​​
Old 04-07-24, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

​​​​​​
As with Hondas, many people still buy Toyotas today because of the nameplate and its past reputation...sometimes not thinking about what they are actually getting TODAY. Both brands, IMHO, built many of their best products in the 1990s....today they show a lot of cost-cutting in materials and design.
Old 04-07-24, 06:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

When people stop buying them, I will start to worry for Toyota. Lol
​​​​​​
I really admire the Toyota Crown line up, Toyota offers the same Toyota Crown in both gasoline hybrid or hydrogen-hybrid

Spoiler

….
Old 04-07-24, 06:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As with Hondas, many people still buy Toyotas today because of the nameplate and its past reputation...sometimes not thinking about what they are actually getting TODAY. Both brands, IMHO, built many of their best products in the 1990s....today they show a lot of cost-cutting in materials and design.
Agreed. And further to that, new Toyota's to me don't feel like Toyota's it's like I'm driving an imposter. But clearly most people don't agree with me.
Old 04-07-24, 07:00 PM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If people seriously thought hydrogen was a viable
option, free enterprise would move to create that option. The fact that it hasn’t is telling.
Only reason why EV is moving forward at all is because of the government, not free enterprise or market. Plenty of people would not be able to afford such cars if it wasn't for federal and state incentives.
Old 04-07-24, 07:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusForever
Only reason why EV is moving forward at all is because of the government, not free enterprise or market. Plenty of people would not be able to afford such cars if it wasn't for federal and state incentives.
I hardly think the relatively small tax credits are making people able to afford EVs lol. It certainly doesn’t enter into my buying decisions.
Old 04-07-24, 07:06 PM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I hardly think the relatively small tax credits are making people able to afford EVs lol. It certainly doesn’t enter into my buying decisions.
Not sure how over 14k in tax incentives is that small.

But, YMMV.
Old 04-07-24, 07:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusForever
A smart company has a solution for each market. Where there a big government subsidies, offer the technology. Where there are no regulations, offer anything that sells. Try to build all your vehicles to share parts with each type of technology.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-07-24 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-07-24, 07:22 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You can't seriously expect us to move to hydrogen transport without knowing how much energy it will require. You must have some idea since you say hydrogen is viable but EVs are not. What if I told you it requires 2x the amount of electricity to move an H2 car the same distance as an EV would that change your mind?.
Actually, there are many advantages to H2 compared to batteries.

1. It is better for reducing greenhouse gases vs batteries (see figure 1)

2. The specific energy of H2 is significantly greater than for any battery (see figure 3)

So as range increases, the weight of the battery pack increases significantly more than for H2. (see figure 4)

3. The energy density of H2 is significantly greater than any battery (see figure 5)

Therefore, the volume of battery space needed for any given range (and especially for longer ranges) is much greater than for H2 (see figure 6)

https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcell...icles-compared
Old 04-07-24, 07:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by asj2024
on Club Lexus, that’s taboo to say that
Old 04-07-24, 07:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

1. It is better for reducing greenhouse gases vs batteries (see figure 1)

2. The specific energy of H2 is significantly greater than for any battery (see figure 3)

So as range increases, the weight of the battery pack increases significantly more than for H2. (see figure 4)

3. The energy density of H2 is significantly greater than any battery (see figure 5)

Therefore, the volume of battery space needed for any given range (and especially for longer ranges) is much greater than for H2 (see figure 6)

https://www.energy.gov/eere/fuelcell...icles-compared
That document is from 2009 did you think no one would notice?

Anyway talking about H2 cars is ultimately pointless they've utterly failed in the marketplace.
Old 04-07-24, 07:59 PM
asj2024
Advanced

That document is from 2009 did you think no one would notice?
What makes you think physics has changed since that time?
Old 04-07-24, 08:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

What makes you think physics has changed since that time?
Go on record as saying battery storage has not improved in 15 years. And will not improve going forward.
Old 04-07-24, 08:41 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Go on record as saying battery storage has not improved in 15 years. And will not improve going forward.
Here's an article from 2020, and again it notes the Li ion battery type used commercially today at up to 260 Wh/kg, better but still significantly below the H2 energy density from 2009 (already up to 600 Wh/kg).

https://www.fluxpower.com/blog/what-...um-ion-battery

Btw, the energy density of oil/gas is less than H2, and we already know battery cars today weigh more than their gasoline counterparts due to the weight of the battery.

I'll also point out another benefit of H2 is that the fuel cells gives much higher ranges, AND the fuel cells last the entire life of the car.

But yes, I do agree that the problem with H2 is that not only does it have the infrastructure problems of batteries, but it also can't be "charged" at home, so it's unlikely that it will make much headway in the light vehicle arena. We will be stuck in the foreseeable future with gas and batteries most likely.

It's probably in heavy vehicles and long range ones that hydrogen may shine.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-07-24 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: What do you think about Toyota's strategy to move models to hybrid only?