Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis ascending...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 10:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nowhere near close
I've driven a 3.3T G70. It's not that far off....and a lot less expensive than an M3 or C63 AMG. Proportionally, not quite the brute power, but definitely more bang for your buck.
Old 04-06-24, 10:45 PM
Eren
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way...Infiniti has nowhere near the vehicle lineup that Genesis has.
Never argued otherwise. But they will get there. Genesis also doesn't have a flagship SUV a la the QX80. Do you know where else Genesis is lacking at? Having an actual dealer network.

CX-90 is nowhere near as nice a vehicle as the GV80 either.
That's a stretch. The CX-90 has a smoother powertrain that's been in the CX-60 for a while now with no major issues. Better build quality as well. OTOH look at all the issues owners have experienced with the GV80.

The only vehicle Infiniti sells I would even consider is the QX60.
It is a great CUV. But as far as sport sedans or luxury 4x4s, Genesis isn't even close.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
now that's funny. g80 compared to what? gv80 compared to what? ancient QX60? gv60 compared to? crickets.
Would you mind reading my post again? I said in the vehicles I would consider. QX60 actually has better fuel economy, more interior space, and is more reliable than the GV80. The Ariya has more range, better build quality, and a nicer interior.

if you mean body on frame then that's true, but the gv80 is definitely a luxury 4x4 suv.
By 4x4 I mean an offroader. The GV80 is a CUV.
Old 04-06-24, 10:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've driven a 3.3T G70. It's not that far off....and a lot less expensive than an M3 or C63 AMG. Proportionally, not quite the brute power, but definitely more bang for your buck.
the 3.3T G70 is an M340i competitor, it's nowhere near the M3's competition.

Old 04-06-24, 11:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
genesis doesn't have 'M' like cars, yet.

but the bmw i4 m50 does 0-60 in 3.7 as does the genesis gv60 performance trim so there's that.

plus not all luxury buyers place performance high/

genesis has a plan for that. my local hyundai dealer has almost finished their new entirely separate genesis dealership. this of course will be key to genesis' overall dealer experience improving.

this makes me laugh. what comparisons are you making? by the time you factor in german brand option lists vs. just about everything included with a genesis, the latter is a bargain.

now that's funny. g80 compared to what? gv80 compared to what? ancient QX60? gv60 compared to? crickets.

if you mean body on frame then that's true, but the gv80 is definitely a luxury 4x4 suv.

some (like me) couldn't really care less, in fact i'd rather buy it with my phone.
Most luxury owners place importance on performance. Genesis will never be close to Germans when it comes to ICE powertrains but with EVs things can be closer. They have a long way to go from prestige factor.

Go build X5 and comparable GV80.
The powertrain on X5 is leagues above same goes for X3 vs GV70 etc.
Genesis does have great interiors but the cost is not substantially less than German brands.

NY auto show had Genesis Magna models which are their M / AMG cars. Will be cool
to see this develop as Hyundai has done cool things with “N line”

The dealers and the personnel need a ton of help.
They need to copy Lexus model.

Infiniti is a shell of its former self, truly sad how brand was mismanaged from mid 2000s success with G35 and FX35/45 models.
Acura has some cool models now.
Lexus is happy milking Toyota fwd platforms.
Really no serious competition from Japan right now.
Old 04-07-24, 01:10 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

I've got a friend who purchased a GV70 last year, I was also in the market for a SUV. I was pretty impressed w the styling, interior and specs. I road in it briefly. When I did my homework, in the end I chose a Lexus. I am a Toyota fan and have been for years. I keep my vehicles for 10 to 15 yrs. When I spent a considerable amount of time reviewing the Genesis/Hyundai forums it was obvious that the drive train components were the same as the Hyundai. There were enough lingering complaints of design issues which led to reliability issues and that was the aspect that had me going back to Lexus/Toyota. Yes, I realize there is a 10 yr warranty, but I keep my cars beyond 10 yrs in general. If I were to keep the car for just a few years as many folks do, I likely would have gone Genesis, but the long term Hyundai reliability and continuing "not so great" dealer treatment when problems arose weighed heavily in my buying decision.
Side note: there are plenty of folks who have had good luck with their Hyundai vehicles, I did not want to take a chance on luck. I also realize there are some Toyota product years which had significant reliability issues such as oil burning issues w the Gen 3 Prius for example as they racked up miles starting at over 100k miles
Old 04-07-24, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Then you have never driven an M3 lol. They aren't in the same stratosphere. The G70 compares well to the IS350 or M340i but is absolutely nothing like an M3.

Originally Posted by Eren
Never argued otherwise. But they will get there. Genesis also doesn't have a flagship SUV a la the QX80. Do you know where else Genesis is lacking at? Having an actual dealer network.
No doubt, I have said that in this thread. The QX80 has been an ancient vehicle forever and is just now being replaced by something which may be compelling. Genesis is way ahead of Infiniti, which when you think about how Infiniti has been around for 35 years is pretty sad.

Infiniti is also in the process of CLOSING their standalone dealers and merging with Nissan. All the Infiniti dealers here are now combined with Nissan dealers.

Genesis is on the upswing, Infiniti is in a huge slide.

That's a stretch. The CX-90 has a smoother powertrain that's been in the CX-60 for a while now with no major issues. Better build quality as well. OTOH look at all the issues owners have experienced with the GV80.
Have you driven them both? I have. The CX-90's I6 doesn't feel particularly smoother in actual use, and everything about the GV80 is superior as it should be given the price difference. GV80s don't have a lot of problems at all, I do watch their forums. Genesis is neck and neck with Lexus in terms of initial quality and vehicle dependability.

It is a great CUV. But as far as sport sedans or luxury 4x4s, Genesis isn't even close.
Seeing that the growth is in CUVs and not sedans, that makes total sense.

The G80 and G90 are both excellent vehicles that Infiniti has no competitors for, and the Q50 is ancient, so I don't see where you are coming from at all.

QX60 actually has better fuel economy, more interior space, and is more reliable than the GV80.
But its transverse/FWD, if you are an enthusiast like me thats a non starter. I would only consider the QX60 as a family car my wife would primarily drive, I would never consider one over a GV80 which is a proper RWD setup with multilink suspension etc. QX60 is an RX/TX competitor while the GV80 is an X5/GLE competitor. The Ariya is a Nissan, which I have no interest in.

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
I've got a friend who purchased a GV70 last year, I was also in the market for a SUV. I was pretty impressed w the styling, interior and specs. I road in it briefly. When I did my homework, in the end I chose a Lexus. I am a Toyota fan and have been for years. I keep my vehicles for 10 to 15 yrs. When I spent a considerable amount of time reviewing the Genesis/Hyundai forums it was obvious that the drive train components were the same as the Hyundai. There were enough lingering complaints of design issues which led to reliability issues and that was the aspect that had me going back to Lexus/Toyota. Yes, I realize there is a 10 yr warranty, but I keep my cars beyond 10 yrs in general. If I were to keep the car for just a few years as many folks do, I likely would have gone Genesis, but the long term Hyundai reliability and continuing "not so great" dealer treatment when problems arose weighed heavily in my buying decision.
Side note: there are plenty of folks who have had good luck with their Hyundai vehicles, I did not want to take a chance on luck. I also realize there are some Toyota product years which had significant reliability issues such as oil burning issues w the Gen 3 Prius for example as they racked up miles starting at over 100k miles
Issue is you have traded everything about the vehicle which makes it a premium machine to go to Lexus. You have a Toyota platform, transverse FWD layout, macpherson strut suspension like economy cars etc. I can't and won't make those tradeoffs in a vehicle. I would rather have a Lexus, but only if it were truly comparable and its not.
Old 04-07-24, 08:17 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

There was this one old Hyundai dealership on this freeway near me. Then Genesis came in to share. It looked jammed and terrible. Many luxury brands are also located along this freeway. I was driving by the other day and wow they re-built the whole thing. A huge Genesis dealership that looks same or better than Lexus/Audi/BMW/Porsche a few blocks down. This is a really nice move IMO. Their cars are expensive enough and they need a nicer place for their customers.
Old 04-07-24, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Then you have never driven an M3 lol.
I have sampled an M3, but not one of the latest generation ones.

The one I sampled, BTW, was poorly-built at the factory....it had a couple of significant defects in it, just sitting there on the lot. The power seat controls for the driver's seat did not work properly (some functions did not work at all), and the arm rest for the rear seat just fell out of its pocket onto the floor...it was never actually installed, just pushed in LOL.

Old 04-07-24, 04:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah none of that is what an M3 is about. It’s about performance and the G70 is not even in the same continent.
Old 04-07-24, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah none of that is what an M3 is about. It’s about performance and the G70 is not even in the same continent.
Well, I mentioned earlier that the 3.3T G70 did not have the M3 or AM'Gs brute power, but I said (and still stand by the statement) that it gives you more car for the money. The M3 and AMG are a lot more $$$$$. And, trust me, the 3.3T does get out of its own way.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-24 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-07-24, 04:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I mentioned earlier that the G70 did not have the M3 or AM's brute power, but I said (and still stand by the statement) that it gives you more car for the money. The M3 and AMG are a lot more $$$$$.
That wasn’t what we were talking about. We were saying that Genesis doesn’t have a competitor to the M and AMG cars and they don’t.

There are many other variations of 3 series too.

Saying that the G70 “gives you more car for the money” implies the two are competitive and comparable and they aren’t. It only gives you more car for the money if you don’t care about the performance an M3 brings to the table, and if you didn’t you wouldn’t be considering an M3 anyways.

Even the regular 3 Series the G70 is ancient, the 3 is a much more modern and better car.
Old 04-07-24, 10:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Well, I mentioned earlier that the 3.3T G70 did not have the M3 or AM'Gs brute power, but I said (and still stand by the statement) that it gives you more car for the money. The M3 and AMG are a lot more $$$$$. And, trust me, the 3.3T does get out of its own way.
In your opinion, since the M3 and G70 are direct competitors....what Genesis model competes with the M340i? Which one competes with the 330i?
Old 04-08-24, 06:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm a Genesis fan- I think they offer incredible value in the luxury segment. My ONLY beef with them is how frequently they change their styling. I can see myself being a customer someday, but I would lease and not buy one because it seems every 3 years the car looks outdated.

The only person in my friend network who owns Genesis has been extremely happy with them. He's had 2 GV80's, a G70 and a G80. The fit and finish of all of those have been top notch and I think their infotainment is awesome.

My only experience driving them is when I rented a G90 via Turo (2021 I believe) with the 5.0 engine and I said to my wife "this is what the LS500 should've been." Driving it was a real pleasure. I also test drove the GV80 but with the lower tier engine and I loved the car but didn't like that engine being paired with it.

Once they expand their EV offering, I could see myself becoming a customer to replace the Model Y. I also wish they had a large SUV to compete with Tahoe, Expedition, etc.
Old 04-08-24, 08:31 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Now you mentioned... I do like Genesis too but somehow haven't got enough interest (wife too) to actually think about getting one. I also realized that none of my friends/family members has one. And they have all kinds of cars. One Korean friend had a Hyundai and highly speaks about Genesis but ended up with a BMW.
Old 04-08-24, 10:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

the point of the thread and article was only that genesis is making steady progress, not that they have an m3 competitor (ludicrous and no).
obviously selling them through hyundai dealers has been bad, but they had that whole 'fire all the franchises' issue/fiasco to separate genesis from hyundai and are NOW getting separate dealerships.
the one in my town is close, and looks very upscale. i'll check it out when it opens.

Quick Reply: Genesis ascending...