Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis ascending...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 12:02 AM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I also don't like having to do business in a Hyundai dealer, .
exactly

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...gnosis-repair/
Old 04-16-24, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Ugh!

To be fair there are many similar stories on the Mercedes forums!
Old 04-16-24, 08:32 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

The service was bad and he got a run around.

But, the car was involved in a previous accident.

Did he disclose that when he took his car in for service?

This may have been why it was so hard to track down the problem and how a piece of foreign debris ended up where it was never supposed to be.

That doesn't explain the bad service and why they went down the diagnostic path they did, they were clearly lost. Lol
Old 04-16-24, 01:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Just out of curiosity I looked up C&D's LS500 and G90 comparison and truly, I want to know where these delusions of grandeur come from lol

LS:

G90:
Wow that's slow to 100 and 130! My slower car is 14.3 sec to 130 and the faster one about 1 second less.
Old 04-16-24, 02:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 488 Likes on 323 Posts

Just out of curiosity I looked up C&D's LS500 and G90 comparison and truly, I want to know where these delusions of grandeur come from lol
At the end of the day, the delusions of grandeur come from the hip pocket.

The all new 2022 2nd generation G90 still with paltry sales of only 1,138 units/year USA, and only 1,288 units last year.
Even the old 2017 1st generation G90 sold 3-4 times better!
Genesis G90 Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

Meanwhile, the long in the tooth 5LS first released late 2017 with some minor refreshes is still doing 2,237 units last year.
Lexus LS Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

I almost purchased the Hyundai Genesis nee Genesis G80 back in 2015, and that car debut with a whopping 35,000 units in its first full year!
If the Lexus 5LS poorly understood what consumers want in a full size luxury sedan, then Genesis G90 misunderstands what the market wants even more.
Old 04-16-24, 03:37 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
At the end of the day, the delusions of grandeur come from the hip pocket.

The all new 2022 2nd generation G90 still with paltry sales of only 1,138 units/year USA, and only 1,288 units last year.
Even the old 2017 1st generation G90 sold 3-4 times better!
Genesis G90 Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

Meanwhile, the long in the tooth 5LS first released late 2017 with some minor refreshes is still doing 2,237 units last year.
Lexus LS Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

I almost purchased the Hyundai Genesis nee Genesis G80 back in 2015, and that car debut with a whopping 35,000 units in its first full year!
If the Lexus 5LS poorly understood what consumers want in a full size luxury sedan, then Genesis G90 misunderstands what the market wants even more.
Nope, it's always been a dealer allocation/production/supply deal like all Genesis products as I've explained to you in a dozen different threads prior lol. The G90 currently only has 351 new on sale currently in the US while the LS has 403.

I guarantee you the G90 will outlive the LS, which likely won't be alive after this generation.
Old 04-16-24, 03:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're looking at sales figures in a vacuum. For one sales of sedans and especially luxury sedans are much smaller now than they were 10 years ago, so comparing the two doesn't make any sense. Lexus also has a huge dealer network from which to sell the LS and Genesis doesn't have that. You have a lot of built in buyers who just always buy a Lexus LS that Genesis doesn't have.

The sales figures don't 100% tell you the relative quality and appeal of each vehicle. I can tell you as a 4 time Lexus LS consumer, the G90 is a much better Lexus LS than the LS500.
Old 04-16-24, 03:45 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Speaking of sales, there's 94 new LS's leftover last year still on sale nationwide, but only 39 G90's. For reference the 7 Series which outsells them both combined only has 53 leftover. No surprise if Lexus pulls the plug on the LS.

Last edited by Motorola; 04-16-24 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-16-24, 08:50 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Nope, it's always been a dealer allocation/production/supply deal like all Genesis products as I've explained to you in a dozen different threads prior lol. The G90 currently only has 351 new on sale currently in the US while the LS has 403.

I guarantee you the G90 will outlive the LS, which likely won't be alive after this generation.
There is only so much stock, because there is only so much production, because there is only so much demand for the poor all new 2022 G90.
Genesis has produced many more G80's/90's in the recent past.

I almost purchased 2015 Hyundai Genesis.
Back then, Hyundai debut with 31,374 in its first full year in 2015!
Hyundai Genesis Sales Figures | GCBC (goodcarbadcar.net)

Even after name change to Genesis G80, it still amassed a solid 16,214 in its first full year in 2017.
Genesis G80 Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

However, we can't compare today's G80 sales with sales back in 2015-17.
We must compare today's G80 sales with the likes of 7ES, E Class and 5 Series.
Lately, G80 selling a disgusting 4-6k.
Genesis G80 Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

ES selling 39-51k/year USA.
Lexus ES Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

5 Series amassing 20-44k/year USA!!!
BMW 5-Series Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

Recently superseded E Class amassed a whopping 21-51k/year USA!!!
Mercedes-Benz E / CLS-Class Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

Whether we compare G80/G90 sedans with cheaper competitors like Lexus 7ES sedan, or more expensive competitors like E Class and 5 Series sedans, G80/90 sales are not good.

Even CUV/SUV GV70/80 sales are poor compared to NX and RX.
GV70/80 sales are a fraction of NX/RX.
Genesis GV70 Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)
Genesis GV80 Sales Figures | US Car Sales Figure (carfigures.com)

Just me, but I can't stand FWD-based chassis; the steering feel is horrible compared to RWD-based.
RWD-based steering is lighter, more feel/communication, tighter turning circle, less self-centering, no torque steer, more throttle steer for less handfuls of steering wheel understeer, faster steering response, and more terminal grip.
However, I must say that the FWD-based NX/RX with low-cost overheads combined with higher sales - must be making absolutely bags of money for Toyota Motor Corp.

You're looking at sales figures in a vacuum. For one sales of sedans and especially luxury sedans are much smaller now than they were 10 years ago, so comparing the two doesn't make any sense. Lexus also has a huge dealer network from which to sell the LS and Genesis doesn't have that. You have a lot of built in buyers who just always buy a Lexus LS that Genesis doesn't have.

The sales figures don't 100% tell you the relative quality and appeal of each vehicle. I can tell you as a 4 time Lexus LS consumer, the G90 is a much better Lexus LS than the LS500.
True.
You have a point there.
Sedan sales have declined.
However, we are comparing apples to apples.
We are comparing current all new 2022 G90 sedan with ageing 2018 5LS sedan, and sales of all new 2022 released G90 is more woeful than ever.

Speaking of sales, there's 94 new LS's leftover last year still on sale nationwide, but only 39 G90's. For reference the 7 Series which outsells them both combined only has 53 leftover. No surprise if Lexus pulls the plug on the LS.
Yes, they could cancel the LS.
However, I suspect LS will be replaced by full electric BEV.
Old 04-16-24, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is an old argument. Genesis is never going to have the same level of sales as Lexus, at least not for a long while. Something selling the most does not mean it’s the best at all, in fact many cars that are top sellers are not the best cars in their segment. Point is, if you actually want a true premium car on a premium platform that is RWD, Genesis is making better cars than Lexus right now. If you want the best selling car and not the best car, then that’s a different decision.

People buy brand, you see that at play here. Many people regardless of what the competition offers will just always buy a Lexus, it could be a horse cart and they would buy it. Same is true of MB and BMW, Genesis doesn’t yet have that, nor do they have the dealer network or production reach to sell 250k cars in the US. They are making great products though, and they will hopefully get there.
Old 04-16-24, 09:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

This is an old argument. Genesis is never going to have the same level of sales as Lexus, at least not for a long while. Something selling the most does not mean it’s the best at all, in fact many cars that are top sellers are not the best cars in their segment. Point is, if you actually want a true premium car on a premium platform that is RWD, Genesis is making better cars than Lexus right now. If you want the best selling car and not the best car, then that’s a different decision.

People buy brand, you see that at play here. Many people regardless of what the competition offers will just always buy a Lexus, it could be a horse cart and they would buy it. Same is true of MB and BMW, Genesis doesn’t yet have that, nor do they have the dealer network or production reach to sell 250k cars in the US. They are making great products though, and they will hopefully get there.
Yes, very true Steve.
Old 04-16-24, 10:59 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

The problem with Genesis is they don’t have a unicorn car like Lexus did with the LS400 that propelled the brand. In fact, Genesis is often overshadowed by Kia and Hyundai when it comes to EVs.
Old 04-16-24, 11:11 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

It can take many years for a brand to be recognized as a peer in the luxury realm.

If Genesis keeps making nice cars and good owner experience, they will get there over time. Imo

Even if they made a car as good as Mercedes, it may take a long time.

The legacy luxury car makers earned their brand image over decades. Just thoughts.
Old 04-17-24, 12:46 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
There is only so much stock, because there is only so much production, because there is only so much demand for the poor all new 2022 G90.
Genesis has produced many more G80's/90's in the recent past.
Not at all how it works, cars are given a production quota before they go on sale. The Palisade and Telluride spent years being supply-constrained because the factories were only made to produce a certain quota, and a certain quota was only available to the US market. Genesis decided how many G90's and G80's would be available for sale in the US market before they even allocated inventory. What does it tell you when there's more LS500's left over than G90's and 7 Series combined from last year?

If you look at sales figures only, the Highlander outsells both the Palisade and Telluride. Yet Toyota had to create the Grand Highlander to compete against the Korean twins anyway, because even they recognize that higher sales don't correlate to a better product.

Yes, they could cancel the LS.
However, I suspect LS will be replaced by full electric BEV.
Yes because the RZ has been such a success lol. Fanciful Toyota wishlists are a dime a dozen.

Last edited by Motorola; 04-17-24 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-17-24, 03:36 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
It can take many years for a brand to be recognized as a peer in the luxury realm.

If Genesis keeps making nice cars and good owner experience, they will get there over time. Imo

Even if they made a car as good as Mercedes, it may take a long time.

The legacy luxury car makers earned their brand image over decades. Just thoughts.
Genesis also needs to fast track their stand-alone dealerships. The shared dealership here has had many bad reviews which can only hurt Genesis sales.

Quick Reply: Genesis ascending...