Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis ascending...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 11:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts
Default Genesis ascending...

great interview with genesis u.s. exec showing their slow but steady progress, now outselling infiniti and on a good path.
obviously they've got a long way to go though to catch a brand like lexus.

https://carbuzz.com/genesis-achieved...d-since-lexus/
Old 04-06-24, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I hope they do well! They are trying to do it right.
Old 04-06-24, 12:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

The products are very good but still well below Germans in performance.

Their main obstacles to growth in US are
1 - poor dealer experience with few locations
2 - pricing that is way too high for purchase and leasing programs that are not competitive.

I really like the GV80 coupe and will give it some consideration when replacing our X3. It’s supposed to be available 4Q 2024.

I wish Lexus would offer the type of SUV products Genesis has.
Old 04-06-24, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

poor dealer experience with few locations
Although you obviously don't want to have to deal with a shoddy dealership, IMHO too much is made of the so-called "poor" dealer experience with Genesis products being sold out of selected Hyundai shops. First, Lincoln, with a similar plan, seems to be doing just fine selling out of selected Ford dealerships, and, Second, Genesis products are good enough that they often sell themselves regardless of where they are sold. i will admit, however, that both Lincoln and Genesis could use more dealerships.....not having enough locations certainly does not help.

Still, in my area, there are three Genesis dealerships within reasonable driving distance. Two of them are large, modern, spacious, and beautiful Hyundai/Genesis shops (Chantilly, Springfield), with the third one (Alexandria) not so much...it is an old, dated shop in a densely-crowded area.

Same with Lincoln...but there are only two within reasonable driving distance. The Ted Britt Chantilly dealership is large, spacious, and modern, like the Chantilly Hyundai/Genesis shop next door. The other one (Ourisman in Alexandria) is basically just an old Ford shop with a Lincoln nameplate on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-06-24 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-06-24, 02:04 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

[QUOTE=RNM GS3;11701679]The products are very good but still well below Germans in performance.

To add to the dealer experience. In my area the closest Genesis/Hyundai dealer has absolutely no idea how to converse with someone who wants a 60-80k Genesis. My experience mirrors the online reviews of our local dealer. Until these issues are resolved Genesis may hit a roadblock trying to increase sales.
Old 04-06-24, 02:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although you obviously don't want to have to deal with a shoddy dealership, IMHO too much is made of the so-called "poor" dealer experience with Genesis products being sold out of selected Hyundai shops. First, Lincoln, with a similar plan, seems to be doing just fine selling out of selected Ford dealerships, and, Second, Genesis products are good enough that they often sell themselves regardless of where they are sold. i will admit, however, that both Lincoln and Genesis could use more dealerships.....not having enough locations certainly does not help.

Still, in my area, there are three Genesis dealerships within reasonable driving distance. Two of them are large, modern, spacious, and beautiful Hyundai/Genesis shops (Chantilly, Springfield), with the third one (Alexandria) not so much...it is an old, dated shop in a densely-crowded area.

Same with Lincoln...but there are only two within reasonable driving distance. The Ted Britt Chantilly dealership is large, spacious, and modern, like the Chantilly Hyundai/Genesis shop next door. The other one (Ourisman in Alexandria) is basically just an old Ford shop with a Lincoln nameplate on it.
No, he's right about the poor dealer experience. As a luxury consumer I can tell you that going to a Hyundai dealer is absolutely a barrier for adoption for me.
Old 04-06-24, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, he's right about the poor dealer experience. As a luxury consumer I can tell you that going to a Hyundai dealer is absolutely a barrier for adoption for me.

Be that as it may, chances are that in most cases (perhaps not all), a Hyundai/Genesis shop would not have your vehicle tied up for a week. That seems to be a big complaint you had with Mercedes.
Old 04-06-24, 06:47 PM
Eren
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as products I'm interested in, I'd take Infiniti over Genesis all day everyday. They don't offer a luxury 4x4 SUV and the Q50 > G70. And if I had to buy a CUV I'd take the CX-90 over the GV80. Give me that smooth straight 6 over the V6.
Old 04-06-24, 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Be that as it may, chances are that in most cases (perhaps not all), a Hyundai/Genesis shop would not have your vehicle tied up for a week. That seems to be a big complaint you had with Mercedes.
From a buying perspective I mean. Buying a high end car is an experience, and the surroundings you are in make a big difference how that experience feels.
Old 04-06-24, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eren
As far as products I'm interested in, I'd take Infiniti over Genesis all day everyday. They don't offer a luxury 4x4 SUV and the Q50 > G70. And if I had to buy a CUV I'd take the CX-90 over the GV80. Give me that smooth straight 6 over the V6.
No way...Infiniti has nowhere near the vehicle lineup that Genesis has. CX-90 is nowhere near as nice a vehicle as the GV80 either. The only vehicle Infiniti sells I would even consider is the QX60.
Old 04-06-24, 07:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The products are very good but still well below Germans in performance.
genesis doesn't have 'M' like cars, yet.

but the bmw i4 m50 does 0-60 in 3.7 as does the genesis gv60 performance trim so there's that.

plus not all luxury buyers place performance high/

genesis has a plan for that. my local hyundai dealer has almost finished their new entirely separate genesis dealership. this of course will be key to genesis' overall dealer experience improving.

2 - pricing that is way too high for purchase and leasing programs that are not competitive.
this makes me laugh. what comparisons are you making? by the time you factor in german brand option lists vs. just about everything included with a genesis, the latter is a bargain.

Originally Posted by Eren
As far as products I'm interested in, I'd take Infiniti over Genesis all day everyday.
now that's funny. g80 compared to what? gv80 compared to what? ancient QX60? gv60 compared to? crickets.

They don't offer a luxury 4x4 SUV
if you mean body on frame then that's true, but the gv80 is definitely a luxury 4x4 suv.

Buying a high end car is an experience, and the surroundings you are in make a big difference how that experience feels.
some (like me) couldn't really care less, in fact i'd rather buy it with my phone.
Old 04-06-24, 08:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
some (like me) couldn't really care less, in fact i'd rather buy it with my phone.
We have seen though with Genesis' struggles, it is an issue. If I could buy it with my phone that would help, but I can't I still need to go to the crappy Hyundai dealer.
Old 04-06-24, 08:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

We have seen though with Genesis' struggles, it is an issue. If I could buy it with my phone that would help, but I can't I still need to go to the crappy Hyundai dealer.
agreed and they're working on it as i said. the article explains their plans and approaches.
Old 04-06-24, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
genesis doesn't have 'M' like cars, yet.
No, not exactly like the BMW M-Series or Mercedes AMG, but the 3.3T G70 sedan, with the turbocharged V6, is pretty close.
Old 04-06-24, 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, not exactly like the BMW M-Series or Mercedes AMG, but the 3.3T G70 sedan, with the turbocharged V6, is pretty close.
Nowhere near close

Quick Reply: Genesis ascending...