Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Long Live the Lexus 5.0 V8

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 02:02 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I love the LC, but if you drive an LC500h, it is nowhere near as compelling as the LC500...an EV LC would not be as compelling as the V8 LC.
Yep, Sara reviewed the LC500h last week, and while she was genuinely surprised that the hybrid powertrain didn't ruin the car, her final statement was "I can't say the hybrid version is bad. It's a GREAT car...I just like the sound of the V8 version better."

Old 04-08-24, 02:25 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I love the LC, but if you drive an LC500h, it is nowhere near as compelling as the LC500...an EV LC would not be as compelling as the V8 LC.
For any sports car to be considered great, it has to satisfy all the emotional aspects. Why else would you buy a compromised vehicle that really doesn’t have much utility.

Most people buying cars in this segment put a huge amount of value on the sound of the car.

The LC500h was made for markets outside of the US that heavily tax large engines. Not sure why Lexus offers it in the US considering nobody buys them here.
Old 04-08-24, 02:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Yep, Sara reviewed the LC500h last week, and while she was genuinely surprised that the hybrid powertrain didn't ruin the car, her final statement was "I can't say the hybrid version is bad. It's a GREAT car...I just like the sound of the V8 version better."

https://youtu.be/KYQOb1gDtiI
A great video would be to blind fold a person without telling them which car they will be a passenger in - then film their facial expressions going up and down the rev range in the LC500 vs LC500h. It’s a night and day experience.
Old 04-08-24, 02:32 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Right, and that is why I get so frustrated sometimes on social media. I can't post more than a couple Instagram reels about my IS 500 without someone chiming in that it's slow. OK, wait a minute. Is 472 horsepower... slow now? And also, the IS 500 is severely tire-limited. That's a big reason why Lexus quotes the RC F as having a significantly better 0-60 - the tires. Besides, it is all top-end. Sure, as a 5.0 it has pretty good torque, but the engine was designed with top-end power in mind. That's why Lexus got Yamaha to help them design the cylinder head - well, that, and the glorious sound.
well yes 472 horsepower is "slow" now but only if you've never driven anything fast and just go by on paper numbers

oh and what size are the rear tires? the E55 is only 265 rears which are adequate with fresh rubber, but once the tires start being even slightly used up it's ridiculously easy to get some wheelspin going, even under light throttle taps
Old 04-08-24, 04:36 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 841 Likes on 350 Posts

Yes, 470+ HP and 0 to 60 in the 4.0 to 4.6 second range for these three V8 equipped Lexus cars is extremely slow. Only quicker than 99.9% of all road transport .

But this boy racer mentality "my car is faster than yours" is becoming a thing of the past now with the advent of EV's. A "decently" powered EV will destroy any ICE car , 0 to 60, 0 to 100, 0 to 150 mph. Within 10 years, we'll probably see EV equipped Toyota Corolla's and soccer mom SUV's that can accelerate faster than a modern-day Lamborghini. What does that mean? LOL.

Of course, there's alot more to cars than 0 to 60.......
Old 04-08-24, 06:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I seriously considered an LC500 and test drove it extensively. I absolutely loved it. Honestly, I don't care about its performance to 60 mph (or whatever). It handled really well for such a sizeable sedan, the engine was strong and sung a beautiful song, the interior was exquisitely detailed, and I absolutely fell in love with it. I may yet own one, but this came at the same time that the wife and I decided to save for a vacation home so I just couldn't justify it.
Old 04-08-24, 08:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I seriously considered an LC500 and test drove it extensively. I absolutely loved it. Honestly, I don't care about its performance to 60 mph (or whatever). It handled really well for such a sizeable sedan, the engine was strong and sung a beautiful song, the interior was exquisitely detailed, and I absolutely fell in love with it. I may yet own one, but this came at the same time that the wife and I decided to save for a vacation home so I just couldn't justify it.
Lol just go ahead and get it and wait for mortgage rates to come down for that second home (assuming you finance).

It’s okay to rationalize.

Our rationalization to pick up an LC500 sooner than later? LOL

We will put a decent amount down but the payment still won’t be cheap.

We are just going to pretend we are paying a mortgage on what our house is actually worth, versus the peanuts of a payment our mortgage is. That’s my rationalization LOL. These cars will be so sought after a decade from now it won’t even be funny, that too.

If you buy one we will too lol.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-09-24 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-08-24, 09:06 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

I’ve yet to sit in one let alone test drive one. But I really want one!! I passed on one few years ago because I had to sell my wife on something with a usable backseat. I even googled car seats in LC 500. It looked like a tight fit.

This time around, I’m going to come home with a LC and say “honey I’m sorry. Btw, here’s your key” and hand her the 2nd key but pray she’s not brave enough to use it.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol just go ahead and get it and wait for mortgage rates to come down for that second home (assuming you finance).

We’ll put a decent amount down but the payment still won’t be cheap.

We are just going to pretend we are paying a mortgage on what our house is actually worth, versus the peanuts of a payment our mortgage is. That’s my rationalization LOL. These cars will be so sought after a decade from now it won’t even be funny, that too.

Count me in as well!!

Just get it. Ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission. Not like you’re buying it from target or Amazon, can’t just return it once your bring it home.🤣 She will eventually get over it and love it!! Hopefully🤣

Old 04-08-24, 10:20 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

0-60 above a certain point is pointless for driving on public roads. In fact it becomes dangerous for inexperienced drivers especially young kids who don’t have the training to react quickly or when other road users are not expecting change in a cars velocity so quickly.

The problem is that this level of acceleration is so accessible without spending a fortune so we have more “accidents” waiting to happen.

Old 04-09-24, 06:05 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

I’ve really been thinking about getting a used LC lately since there’s a few under $60k. I was also considering buying a house and just getting a cheap old car like an SC430 or MR2-Spyder. The house is the more responsible choice of course, but interest rates are just so high.

If I bought an LC I’d keep it forever. I just worry that maintaining it could be pricey compared to the F cars. Those LC door handles aren’t cheap to fix.
Old 04-09-24, 06:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I would wager that it will be more compelling than a Model S but yea the current hybrid powertrain just doesnt suit the character of the car. However, if they shove a Hybrid Max from the Tundra in there, now that's a different story.
Old 04-09-24, 06:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

We’ll put a decent amount down but the payment still won’t be cheap.

Buy the vacation home now and refinance if and when rates drop. If you wait until rates drop, that vacation home will cost 5-10% more so while you saved 2% interest, you will pay more for the home. Besides dont you want to give that LC a nice vacation home too?
Old 04-09-24, 06:59 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

The LC500h would have been a genuinely compelling alternative over the V8 if it offered AWD. It's already in the LS.
Old 04-09-24, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I would wager that it will be more compelling than a Model S but yea the current hybrid powertrain just doesnt suit the character of the car. However, if they shove a Hybrid Max from the Tundra in there, now that's a different story.
Having driven both the Model S is much more compelling. The hybrid powertrain is just not a enthusiast's powertrain IMO, give me the awesome V8 or the awesome torque and smoothness of an EV, you can keep your hybrids lol
Old 04-09-24, 08:01 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Having driven both the Model S is much more compelling. The hybrid powertrain is just not a enthusiast's powertrain IMO, give me the awesome V8 or the awesome torque and smoothness of an EV, you can keep your hybrids lol
Completely agree with this. I admire and appreciate hybrids, and have enjoyed testing plug-in hybrids. But my favorite driving experiences involve either V8s or all-electric EVs (Although I also love the BMW turbo straight six in the GR Supra and all of those Porsche flat-sixes).

Quick Reply: Long Live the Lexus 5.0 V8