Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car flipping opportunity - advice needed:)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 03:56 AM
VictoriaES
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Car flipping opportunity - advice needed:)

Hey everyone,

So, crazy coincidence, but several friends and family members have recently mentioned needing to sell their cars quickly for some fast cash. This got me thinking... maybe this is my chance to try my hand at car flipping!

With my husband's recent promotion, we have a little extra cash on hand and I'm not currently working, so the timing seems perfect. He's not much of a car person, so I thought I'd come to you all for advice. 😉

Here's the deal:
  • 2015 Lexus RX 350: great conditions and 85,000 miles. It's my aunt's car so I'm 100% sure she did all the required maintenance to the car and condition if perfect.
  • 2018 Honda Civic sedan with 2.0l engine and 62.200 miles on board. That's my friend's first car so it has some minor dents and scratches, but technical condition as well as the interior is well-maintained.
  • 2012 Ford F-150 with 5 litre engine: My neighbor's truck, it's a workhorse with higher mileage (around 150,000) but has been well-maintained.
I can handle basic maintenance, but I'm clueless about the flipping process.
  • How do I determine a fair buying price for these cars?
  • Where can I research current market values to set selling prices?
  • What paperwork or legal steps are involved in buying and selling?
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-11-24, 11:59 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Frankly, the questions you pose suggest you are not (at present) a good candidate to attempt flipping.

Basic market knowledge is essential in flipping anything. With vehicles, pricing information is readily available through kbb.com; edmunds.com; and the like. One must have the ability to accurately evaluate a vehicle's condition and the amount of money necessary to prepare it for sale. In addition, in most states use/sales tax will have to be paid to title a vehicle in your own name (shrinking any potential profit margin) unless you acquired it on an "open" title.

The 3 vehicles listed appeal to vastly different potential buyers and none stand out as particularly good for a flip although either the old truck or the Civic should be an easier sale.
Old 04-11-24, 12:18 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
Frankly, the questions you pose suggest you are not (at present) a good candidate to attempt flipping.

Basic market knowledge is essential in flipping anything. With vehicles, pricing information is readily available through kbb.com; edmunds.com; and the like. One must have the ability to accurately evaluate a vehicle's condition and the amount of money necessary to prepare it for sale. In addition, in most states use/sales tax will have to be paid to title a vehicle in your own name (shrinking any potential profit margin) unless you acquired it on an "open" title.

The 3 vehicles listed appeal to vastly different potential buyers and none stand out as particularly good for a flip although either the old truck or the Civic should be an easier sale.
Fully agree. Point them towards Carvana or Carmax if they need quick cash and be done with it. Low balling them then selling their car for more seems like a great way to ruin the relationships
Old 04-11-24, 12:42 PM
VictoriaES
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your answers, though not of them were very friendly tbh
Old 04-11-24, 12:45 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Fully agree. Point them towards Carvana or Carmax if they need quick cash and be done with it. Low balling them then selling their car for more seems like a great way to ruin the relationships
Absolutely.

Amen on that.
CarMax will write them a check on the spot.

If you get possession of their car for less than they can get in 10 mins by walking into CarMax, consider it a bridge burned.

​​​​​​Especially now that you know. Lol
Old 04-12-24, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Sometimes the right advice comes across as "not very friendly"...

The way you learn is by doing, but I don't think I would do this with family as others have said. If you are really interested in flipping cars, watch some YouTube videos about it, they are out there. How much ability do you have to fix the cars up yourself so you can substantiate more for them from the next buyer than you paid for them?