Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another lost truck soul converted to the quirky side

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Your 2015 is 11 years newer than my 2004 was, I would hope it would be better.

My Mercedes has had no problems. That Prius however had several and left my wife stranded once and had to be towed because of an inverter failure, all before 60k miles.

Id much rather have a problematic Mercedes than a perfect Prius lol
Old 04-13-24, 02:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

My Mercedes has had no problems. That Prius however had several and left my wife stranded once and had to be towed because of an inverter failure, all before 60k miles.

Amen to that, I'm about to replace my Jeep with a Porsche and I know it will be more demanding but it's worth it.
Old 04-13-24, 03:32 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I bought my Prius because according to google, 571 miles (give or take) was achievable on a full tank of gas and at the time I had a 200 mile daily commute to/from work. 1,000 miles/wk cost me $40/wk in gas (2 fill ups). Outside of that, it’s a slug to drive. Won’t get you anywhere quick but it’s great at what’s it meant to do, save on gas.
How fast did you drive it? When we drive transcontinental, the wife goes steady 75-85ish mph for 2 hours with no problems. Not exactly a slug.

My wife used to drive a Mercedes before we married. Higher maintenance cost and it had little electrical gremlins that would magically start working again once arriving to the dealership. For her 1yr anniversary present, I traded it in. 🙃
My Mercedes was a POS. Unreliable as sin though supposedly a luxury brand. My wife drove it to impress her clients. This was before we decided we just use Toyota from then on.

We both loved the Prius better and took it everywhere (up and down the Rockies last year, as well as the Mt. Washington auto road in New Hampshire when it was newer...scary as *****, I had my doubts, but was fine, though had to stop for brakes at times)

Last edited by asj2024; 04-13-24 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-13-24, 03:50 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Prius left me stranded once…ran outta gas🫣

Originally Posted by Striker223
Amen to that, I'm about to replace my Jeep with a Porsche and I know it will be more demanding but it's worth it.
I’ll take boring over problematic any day.
Old 04-13-24, 03:57 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by asj2024
How fast did you drive it? When we drive transcontinental, the wife goes steady 75-85ish mph for 2 hours with no problems. Not exactly a slug.

My Mercedes was a POS. Unreliable as sin though supposedly a luxury brand. My wife drove it to impress her clients. This was before we decided we just use Toyota from then on.

We both loved the Prius better and took it everywhere (up and down the Rockies last year, as well as the Mt. Washington auto road in New Hampshire when it was newer...scary as *****, I had my doubts, but was fine, though had to stop for brakes at times)
The backroad highway is 1 mile from my house then it’s a straight shot. Speed limit varies between 45-65mph. I was always at least 5mph over. Careful in the small towns where the speed traps would be. Police jumped behind me a few times and I guess didn’t think pulling over a Prius was worth it. That or he/she ran my plates and saw there wasn’t more there than a speeding ticket.

Old 04-13-24, 04:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

That's decent mpg but I would rather have a diesel VW so it's also pushing 200hp and 450tq and still getting more MPG. Plus they come in manual and handle far better than a Prius, if you really want to cost optimize then buy a 500 gallon tank and have it filled once a year for $1.80 gallon fuel costs
Old 04-13-24, 04:18 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

That's decent mpg but I would rather have a diesel VW so it's also pushing 200hp and 450tq and still getting more MPG. Plus they come in manual and handle far better than a Prius, if you really want to cost optimize then buy a 500 gallon tank and have it filled once a year for $1.80 gallon fuel costs
My best friend daily’s a golf TDI and he loves it. Unfortunately his is auto as we learned later the manual gets even better fuel mileage. Still he loves it so much that he only drives his truck on road trips with the family.

We do have a 500 gallon tank but use it for diesel.
Old 04-13-24, 07:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Doesnt take much power to maintain a speed, its accelerating to that speed, merging with traffic etc. 0-60 is like 10 seconds, its very slow.

I’ll take boring over problematic any day.
As a car enthusiast life is too short for boring. Owning two of the “least reliable” brands now, life is fine and I wouldn’t trade either one for a Toyota.
Old 04-13-24, 07:11 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Porsche just makes nice cars.

Cool + fun.
Old 04-13-24, 07:18 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Doesnt take much power to maintain a speed, its accelerating to that speed, merging with traffic etc. 0-60 is like 10 seconds, its very slow.

As a car enthusiast life is too short for boring. Owning two of the “least reliable” brands now, life is fine and I wouldn’t trade either one for a Toyota.
I agree. I do have one car that isn’t boring to drive. 😏

I see a LC in my future as well😁
Old 04-13-24, 11:40 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

I take my excitement from playing sports, or going on long vacations. But I still used to really really enjoy my long commute drives in my Prius (now fully remote), and especially long road trips. Just listening to music or book on tape as the miles go by, knowing that the car won't need extensive and frequent repair costs or take time away from what really matters and enhances my life.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-13-24 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-14-24, 07:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I take my excitement from playing sports, or going on long vacations. But I still used to really really enjoy my long commute drives in my Prius (now fully remote), and especially long road trips. Just listening to music or book on tape as the miles go by, knowing that the car won't need extensive and frequent repair costs or take time away from what really matters and enhances my life.
Good for you, I love and enjoy cars and a lot of my enjoyment on a daily basis comes from driving my car. Long drives and long road trips in my Prius were horrible, and I did everything I could to avoid ever taking them in it in the first place. Plenty of other cars that I also owned made by Toyota also didn't concern me about repair costs yet I enjoyed much, much more.

It ruined me on hybrids until I got our Pacifica actually, I hated it so much.
Old 04-14-24, 11:28 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Good for you, I love and enjoy cars and a lot of my enjoyment on a daily basis comes from driving my car. Long drives and long road trips in my Prius were horrible, and I did everything I could to avoid ever taking them in it in the first place. Plenty of other cars that I also owned made by Toyota also didn't concern me about repair costs yet I enjoyed much, much more.

It ruined me on hybrids until I got our Pacifica actually, I hated it so much.
It was opposite for me. Since we got the Prius and I began to learn about them, I’ve purchased 3 more hybrids since.

If 1-2 of us (maybe 3 depending on far) are traveling on a roadtrip, the Prius gets thrown into duty. Other than that primarily, I drive it to work and/or we will opt for it if the PHEV isn’t charged and have to run a quick errand. Yesterday I used the Prius to go fill up gas can for my lawn mower which I do quite regularly.
Old 04-14-24, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just do not like how CVT/4cyl hybrids drive
Old 04-14-24, 01:12 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Try the gen5. Power tends to solve the CVT's issues. If it doesn't have effortless power, then.... to be honest I couldn't care less whether it's a CVT (eCVT or otherwise), auto, DSG... could live with an underpowered manual but that's a different kind of beast :P

Regardless, anything pre-gen5 is just... lacking in power when you're not in the city.

Anyways, I really can't see how another powertrain can sway me for a daily. An eCVT with sufficient torque fill + a nice, big NA atkinson. Hasn't really happened in the top tier class since the ls600h is a mostly regular otto cycle engine, but it's still a decent example of what can be achieved.

Quick Reply: Another lost truck soul converted to the quirky side