Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2025 Toyota Camry XSE First Drive: Can Practical & Economical Actually Be Fun?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 05:46 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
Just watched Savagegeese’s review…. They were quite complimentary about the changes. They generally don’t hold back their true feelings 😀.
They're always positive on press trips, not so much when they get the car to review for a week. Compare and contrast their RX reviews.
Old 04-18-24, 06:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
Just watched Savagegeese’s review…. They were quite complimentary about the changes. They generally don’t hold back their true feelings 😀.
i watched that too. they were really impressed, but i think having access to the engineers 'sold' them on the MANY changes.

one thing i was really pleased to see is how they've integrated a wider/shorter screen INTO the dash not like their usual 'tombstone' setups.
Old 04-18-24, 07:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Is Camry. *dies of boredom*

Jokes aside looks fine but I have no reason at all to even look at one in passing, throw the 3cyl and a manual trans in and then I would stop and look.
Old 04-18-24, 08:51 PM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

There’s a reason why the Japanese domestic market will stop selling the Camry - covered by the Crown line and the Lexus ES.

Interior dash an improvement. But material quality is actually backward from 2012-2017 generation.
Old 04-19-24, 02:12 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Update for anyone interested. I got to do a couple of hours of driving today on some terrible Los Angeles roads/highways and came away with two additional thoughts that didn't surface initially...

1) the XSE suspension is a lot rougher than I originally thought (I believe someone commented about this regarding the last gen). There's a big section of the 405 highway here that cuts through the western side of the city. It's only been about 15-ish years since it was last overhauled, but it drives like a northern highway damaged from frost heaves. Bump-bump-bump-bump-bump... The XSE didn't love that, nor any of the city streets filled with potholes. This is definitely not as tight, nor as luxurious in terms of driving feel, as the ES (especially the ones with the upgraded F Sport suspension).

2) the dynamic or adaptive cruise control -- which adds Traffic Jam Assist this year with the Premium Plus package -- works impressively well. Dynamic cruise control combines a radar cruise control system with lane centering to essentially let the vehicle drive itself as long as you are holding the wheel and paying attention. It appears to work at all speeds, and can be turned off in favor of a standard cruise control. Lane centering can also be toggled on and off. Traffic Jam Assist, for stop-and-go traffic, works below 25mph and adds the ability to go hands-free to the equation. BUT it requires a subscription and uses a camera to monitor drivers. There's an option to opt in or out of camera recording, but I believe you need to opt in to use the feature fully. According to Toyota, it "only records during certain situations, such as a vehicle crash." Which, based on some recent controversies about digital vehicle monitoring, I'm not sure if I trust.

But even without TJAssist fully engaged, the dynamic cruise control seems to function at both stop-and-go and highway speeds. You just need to keep your hands on the wheel. Overall, the system was generally excellent, accurate, and safe, even when other vehicles cut in front of me. It's definitely a more relaxing way to commute in heavy and moderate traffic.

The only two flaws I noticed, which are semi-related, involve accelerating back up to speed when traffic opens up. It seems a little slow to react if you're going from, say, 10mph to 40mph or above. It seems to get stuck of sorts in the mid-20s, which makes me wonder if this is somehow related to the system turning Traffic Jam Assist on and off as the system reaches its maximum 25mph speed. Still, it's not that hard to goose the accelerator pedal and then let the system take back over if you want.
Old 04-19-24, 03:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

So how does it actually drive? Assist systems like that on mainstream cars are 10-15 years behind so don't matter as much for a review IMO plus they have nothing to do with how the car drives
Old 04-21-24, 02:16 AM
Lead Lap

The E-Four was tested.

Old 04-21-24, 07:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

the new camry interior is a huge step forward.

2024 (old):

2025 (new):

i wish they'd used less shiny black plastic and the tidier/smaller shifter used in many other models like the nx...

Old 04-21-24, 10:39 AM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the new camry interior is a huge step forward.

2024 (old):

2025 (new):

i wish they'd used less shiny black plastic and the tidier/smaller shifter used in many other models like the nx...
That is a big difference, thanks.
Old 04-21-24, 03:14 PM
Lead Lap

Yes the shiny plastic is a Toyota play to force upgrades to their Lexus equivalent for less shiny plastic. Same thing as omitting rear sun shades for their RAV and Camry - so you’d go for the NX and ES.

Its actually hilarious as it doesn’t cost more to make less shiny plastic.
Old 04-21-24, 05:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 472 Likes on 312 Posts

Just me, but I thought the old Camry dash more attractive.
Old 04-21-24, 07:17 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
So how does it actually drive? Assist systems like that on mainstream cars are 10-15 years behind so don't matter as much for a review IMO plus they have nothing to do with how the car drives
Are you asking how the assist works, or how the car drives, overall? The review linked above in this thread's first post covers my first impressions driving experience.

The comment you replied to was intended to be supplementary.
Old 04-21-24, 09:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Are you asking how the assist works, or how the car drives, overall? The review linked above in this thread's first post covers my first impressions driving experience.

The comment you replied to was intended to be supplementary.
The actual driving, body response, suspension response, steering, damping etc....the Camry is usually neutral/stiff with exaggerated initial turn in and non-linear response.
Old 04-21-24, 11:06 PM
Lead Lap

The pre-touch-screen-after-thought for the last gen is actually a better design. They could have just made the screen have smaller bezel instead of tacking on a separate screen. In fact, if Toyota weren't so lazy - it's where the current design is with the GX, Land Crusier etc.

Old 04-23-24, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I don't see how the old dash is better on any level. It was archaic by comparison...the new layout it much more modern.

Quick Reply: 2025 Toyota Camry XSE First Drive: Can Practical & Economical Actually Be Fun?