Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Summit Racing Cuts Ties with Major Parts Seller After Finding Counterfeit Parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 12:16 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Summit Racing Cuts Ties with Major Parts Seller After Finding Counterfeit Parts

Not sure how many of you folks are into hot rodding or performance modifications, but an interesting story popped up late last week when a performance shop that makes parts for Ford transmissions found out their parts were being copied and sold inside the boxes of another company through the retailer Summit Racing.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...-in-inventory/
Old 04-18-24, 01:30 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Watched both videos, that's wild. What really seems crazy is that this is a REALLY specialized part. If you're a customer, you know EXACTLY what you're looking for. And the real thing is only $35 more than the fake ($650 vs $615). Even if you were expecting a knock-off and were surprised when it was a straight-up counterfeit, that really feels like a false economy.

Kudos to Summit and Jegs for dumping Speedmaster entirely, and additionally to Summit for destroying their stock rather than returning it so someone else can sell it. It would be cool to see this turn into Summit repping his products, but it seems like Jay don't roll that way.
Old 04-18-24, 05:50 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 509 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Watched both videos, that's wild. What really seems crazy is that this is a REALLY specialized part. If you're a customer, you know EXACTLY what you're looking for. And the real thing is only $35 more than the fake ($650 vs $615). Even if you were expecting a knock-off and were surprised when it was a straight-up counterfeit, that really feels like a false economy.

Kudos to Summit and Jegs for dumping Speedmaster entirely, and additionally to Summit for destroying their stock rather than returning it so someone else can sell it. It would be cool to see this turn into Summit repping his products, but it seems like Jay don't roll that way.
I concor......Just to add,I would of thought that Jeg's/Summit would of opened a couple boxes when they first got them in. Great that Summit did scrap their products thou.......
Old 04-20-24, 06:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

This is becoming a bigger issue for people. It is one thing that you can just go to a dealer and get a part (though usually more expensive), but at least I can be sure of it being genuine. However, I have friends all ove the world that regularly tell me stories of bad specialty parts, particularly chips or electronic items that simply will not work.