Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Back (more or less) on topic, Bentley says it will not follow Mercedes and BMW with Level-3 autonomous vehicles because the company considers it too dangerous.

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/be...too-dangerous/
Old 04-21-24, 05:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
First of all, it is NOT false.
You conflated obviously false flat earth theory to autonomous vehicles.

I prefer to use natural intelligence.
That natural intelligence gets millions of people killed autonomy will drastically reduce this. Accident avoidance tech already saves lives do you want to get rid of that as well?
Old 04-21-24, 07:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Of course not., But the moon landing was not total automation.....the landing vessel was piloted by the astronauts.
keep digging. spacex docking of their dragon crew spaceship to the international space station was totally automated.
spacex' self-landing booster rockets (an almost unthinkable feat automated or not) are entirely automated.

I prefer to use natural intelligence.
have you ever used siri on your iphone or mac? how about google search? that latter question is a trick, of course you have. i don't believe there's people scurrying around looking up things in encyclopedia brittanica and typing the answers back to you.

do you ever use a credit or debit card? they're entirely automated. handling your money no less! talking to your bank account!!

computers used to suck as chess. now no humans can beat them.
a computer was finally able to compete on jeopardy and wiped the floor with the best contestants ever (without internet access).
AI models are able to pass the wharton mba exam and many legal bar exams.

fully autonomous cars are in many public testing places, close to being widely used. tesla's model was to use their entire fleet as data gatherers and also provide 'beta' software to gain real world data of what the cars have done well and not so well. we're all well aware of the errors/failings. laugh/mock/dismiss all you want, but it WILL happen.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-21-24 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-21-24, 07:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I can't believe people still think autonomous cars will never happen...
Old 04-21-24, 07:33 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
have you ever used siri on your iphone or mac? how about google search? that latter question is a trick, of course you have. i don't believe there's people scurrying around looking up things in encyclopedia brittanica and typing the answers back to you.
You're making a hodge podge of invalid apples to oranges comparisons of indexed search engine databases, language model software, machine to machine interactions, and comparing those to the multitudes of unexpected problems in real time that might be faced by an autonomous car software that is let loose in the real world.

It will happen someday, but it will face not only technical, but legal, hurdles. As someone noted, if the software injures or kills someone, will the company be liable? You could face class action suits that can bankrupt a company.

Old 04-21-24, 07:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by asj2024
It will happen someday, but it will face not only technical, but legal, hurdles. As someone noted, if the software injures or kills someone, will the company be liable? You could face class action suits that can bankrupt a company.
Of course not. If you crash and it's your fault your insurance pays same thing will be true when the robot crashes. If the robot crashes and it's the other vehicles fault they pay the system doesn't change.

Old 04-21-24, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
keep digging. spacex docking of their dragon crew spaceship to the international space station was totally automated.
spacex' self-landing booster rockets (an almost unthinkable feat automated or not) are entirely automated.
You did not mention which moon landing in your question. There have been several. The original ones in the Apollo program were all hand-manuvered down to the moon's surface....In fact, I was once a docent at the National Air and Space Museum, and used to explain that system to visitors. As far as the ones in the Space-X program, I'm not familiar with all the newest systems in it, so I can't comment much on them.

have you ever used siri on your iphone or mac? how about google search? that latter question is a trick, of course you have.
Siri, no. Google-search, yes.....many times each day.

don't believe there's people scurrying around looking up things in encyclopedia brittanica and typing the answers back to you.
Driving a vehicle is not a google-search.

do you ever use a credit or debit card? they're entirely automated. handling your money no less! talking to your bank account!!
Yes, every day....again, that's not driving a vehicle.

fully autonomous cars are in many public testing places, close to being widely used. tesla's model was to use their entire fleet as data gatherers and also provide 'beta' software to gain real world data of what the cars have done well and not so well. we're all well aware of the errors/failings. laugh/mock/dismiss all you want, but it WILL happen.

Well, convince Bentley of that. They are convinced (and not without reason) that Mercedes and BMW are going out on too weak of a limb with the Level-3 system. If you didn't see my previous post, I'll re-post it here.

https://www.autospies.com/news/Bentl...gerous-120796/

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-24 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-21-24, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're making a hodge podge of invalid apples to oranges comparisons of indexed search engine databases, language model software, machine to machine interactions, and comparing those to the multitudes of unexpected problems in real time that might be faced by an autonomous car software that is let loose in the real world.

....EXACTLY. Good response, asj2024. And that's why Bentley wants no part of it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-24 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-21-24, 08:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Driving a vehicle is not a google-search.
Autonomy and LLMs in a search engine are similar.
Old 04-21-24, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

google search is WAY beyond an indexed database.
anyway call it a hodge podge if you want, but progress is happening so fast one day it will just be good enough.

this will all be worked out.
Old 04-21-24, 11:10 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Back (more or less) on topic, Bentley says it will not follow Mercedes and BMW with Level-3 autonomous vehicles because the company considers it too dangerous.

"We think Level 3 is dangerous from all the testing analysis that we have done because it relied too much on recovery of attention and intervention from the driver,” Hallmark said, per Autonews. As a result, Bentley will focus on Level 2 Plus and Level 2 Plus Plus systems."

From mmarshall's link

Sounds like a lawsuit nightmare. Lol

Imagine the car expecting you to take over and you had your face down reading a book. Lol

Old 04-21-24, 11:42 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

My whole issue with these systems is that I'll never use them, I bought my cars to drive them. I barely use ACC as is and all other assists are off
Old 04-21-24, 11:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

At any time the system may tell you to take over at that moment you are responsible for the car.

Old 04-22-24, 12:24 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
At any time the system may tell you to take over at that moment you are responsible for the car.

Well I guess we know how liability will work, just swap over to the driver .1 seconds before crash impact lol!
Old 04-22-24, 12:51 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K

The drive pilot in traffic is just Lexus Traffic Jam Assist.

Except I'm assuming in Drive Pilot the driver controls when to activate it. In the Lexus version, the car tells you when it can go into the semi autonomous mode.

Annoys me.

Quick Reply: Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S.