Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 01:01 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
My whole issue with these systems is that I'll never use them, I bought my cars to drive them. I barely use ACC as is and all other assists are off
I use cruise control a lot when driving long distances, and the Lexus traffic jam assist would probably be very useful in heavy traffic. Beyond that, I probably would take over.

Reminds me of self parking in my Lexus. It was a toy for the first day, but I haven't actually used it since. It was kinda cool to see the car park by itself while you just sat there (I haven't tried parking it remotely with me outside yet), but it took too long and would likely cause people around to honk at me.

The adaptive cruise control in the new Lexus/Toyota cars is a big step up from standard cruise control though.

I also find the safety assists very useful, including the blind spot. If it helps avoid accidents, why not.

Finally, semi or full autonomous cars might be best for the very elderly or handicapped. At this point, it may make more sense for the car to have more control when human senses and/or judgement become impaired.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-22-24 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 02:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
I use cruise control a lot when driving long distances, and the Lexus traffic jam assist would probably be very useful in heavy traffic. Beyond that, I probably would take over.

Reminds me of self parking in my Lexus. It was a toy for the first day, but I haven't actually used it since. It was kinda cool to see the car park by itself while you just sat there (I haven't tried parking it remotely with me outside yet), but it took too long and would likely cause people around to honk at me.

The adaptive cruise control in the new Lexus/Toyota cars is a big step up from standard cruise control though.

I also find the safety assists very useful, including the blind spot. If it helps avoid accidents, why not.

Finally, semi or full autonomous cars might be best for the very elderly or handicapped. At this point, it may make more sense for the car to have more control when human senses and/or judgement become impaired.
I have yet to drive any car that the assist and monitoring systems are as fast and accurate as me and don't interfere when I decide to go full hammer. Therefore I leave them off and just drive the car, I only use "self drive" on trips and it honestly stressed me out so much with the steering that I just do that myself and let the car do speed/distance unless I get close to a pack. Then it's back to full manual since the car can't predict flow of traffic and predictively position like I can.

So these systems are largely uninteresting to me since I prefer to actually drive, if I'm not feeling it I call someone and have them drive me around while I'm in the back right seat. Usually it's my wife or one of my close friends when we are all going somewhere and I've been up for a day plus.....like right now lol! I've been up for about 30 hours so if I want to go somewhere at 4/5pm I probably won't feel like driving.
Old 04-22-24, 04:58 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

When you're driving as in actually driving - fine. When you're on a trip or just going about your business or whatever, good assists absolutely help. Natural intelligence tends to be focused on a whole lot of things other than driving :P
Old 04-22-24, 05:23 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
When you're driving as in actually driving - fine. When you're on a trip or just going about your business or whatever, good assists absolutely help. Natural intelligence tends to be focused on a whole lot of things other than driving :P
Trips are fun too, you can switch up your driving goal section to section and sometimes you pick up a driving mate and can make a good pace lol!

One time me and a F430 were doing 130 a good while slowing to move through packs and just having fun in general on an Arkansas trip.

If I'm going to zone out I don't want to be driving at all
Old 04-22-24, 06:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
I am not surprised that people who dislike BEVs also dislike automated cruise control, and vice versa.

It is natural evolution.

And since when is Bentley relevant brand for progress?
Old 04-22-24, 07:14 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Human is expected to intervene but they have gone a loooooong way from adaptive cruise control. One should definitely give BMW's Hands off, Blue Cruise, Super Cruise, Tesla's Autopilot/FSD a try to see what they have to offer. I can't believe I can experience these things in my lifespan.
Old 04-22-24, 07:20 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Human is expected to intervene but they have gone a loooooong way from adaptive cruise control. One should definitely give BMW's Hands off, Blue Cruise, Super Cruise, Tesla's Autopilot/FSD a try to see what they have to offer. I can't believe I can experience these things in my lifespan.
I rented a Model S for two weeks to see what it offered, it was a while ago but I really hate having something else drive worse than me and I still have to pay attention.

Ever watch someone do something poorly/worse than you and you just want to step in a just make it stop so you don't have to witness it? That's me when a car is self driving, I just constantly want to take over and do it better
Old 04-22-24, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Then dont use it.

To me these systems just make driving easier. I dont look for them to "drive for me", I look for them to take much of the stress of driving off of me.

Thats why I love the Distronic in the Mercedes. It maintains distance, it keeps the car in the center of the lane, and you don't realize how much strain that takes off of you. I just got back from driving the Pacifica back and forth from NJ, it doesn't have any kind of lane centering tech and the difference is huge. You look down to find a chicken nugget or your sunglasses or something and all of a sudden you're out of your lane, doesn't happen in the Mercedes
Old 04-22-24, 07:59 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I was expecting space colonies by now and you think I'm gonna be enchanted by level 2 driving software?

I mean, I'm not even that gaga over this level 3 by Mercedes.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-22-24 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 08:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

It's not a question of "progress". Although some Mercedes and BMW products do cost six figures, buyers, on average, pay a LOT more for a Bentley than for those two brands....and the Bentley name has a lot of prestige. The company is not about to risk their reputation (and lawsuits) on questionable or potentially dangerous technology.
Old 04-22-24, 08:23 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then dont use it.

To me these systems just make driving easier. I dont look for them to "drive for me", I look for them to take much of the stress of driving off of me.

Thats why I love the Distronic in the Mercedes. It maintains distance, it keeps the car in the center of the lane, and you don't realize how much strain that takes off of you. I just got back from driving the Pacifica back and forth from NJ, it doesn't have any kind of lane centering tech and the difference is huge. You look down to find a chicken nugget or your sunglasses or something and all of a sudden you're out of your lane, doesn't happen in the Mercedes
Yes. Yes. And Yes. Distronic sounds like the basic free Autopilot which is a big plus for long distance drive. Their FSD is still too pricey IMO but for about 2k, one can get some really nice hands free feature elsewhere. I'm not going to let any car drive me either but these features definitely help make long drives much more less tiring. You'll still be fresh when you get to the destination.
Old 04-22-24, 09:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

I rented a Model S for two weeks to see what it offered, it was a while ago but...
how long is "a while ago"? this stuff is evolving fast.

Ever watch someone do something poorly/worse than you and you just want to step in a just make it stop so you don't have to witness it? That's me when a car is self driving, I just constantly want to take over and do it better
that's called a controlling personality.

If I'm going to zone out I don't want to be driving at all
that's the whole point of self driving assistance or full driving.

my ioniq 5 can drive itself for long distances on interstates with no interaction (it's called highway driving assist [hda] 2). very relaxing.

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol. good question! their idea of progress is more wood and organ stop controls.

Thats why I love the Distronic in the Mercedes. It maintains distance, it keeps the car in the center of the lane, and you don't realize how much strain that takes off of you.
yup, my humble ioniq 5 is the same.

I just got back from driving the Pacifica back and forth from NJ, it doesn't have any kind of lane centering tech and the difference is huge. You look down to find a chicken nugget or your sunglasses or something and all of a sudden you're out of your lane, doesn't happen in the Mercedes
yes my lc500 has terrible lane keeping but it will at least beep if you're drifting out of your lane.
this got improved for 2024 model year though (finally).

Old 04-22-24, 09:42 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I can't believe people still think autonomous cars will never happen...
You mean like everyone? Every road? That's at least a century away IMO, but yes I do agree it will happen. We'll all be dead and gone by the time there's a grid and nobody has to physically drive anywhere, all autonomous.
Old 04-22-24, 10:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

[QUOTE=bitkahuna;11711198]
yup, my humble ioniq 5 is the same./quote]

Hyundai's lane centering tech is actually excellent. One of the best out there!

Originally Posted by AJT123
You mean like everyone? Every road? That's at least a century away IMO, but yes I do agree it will happen. We'll all be dead and gone by the time there's a grid and nobody has to physically drive anywhere, all autonomous.
I think we are way less than a century away. Think about how far technology has come since 1924 (a century ago)...the difference between 1924 and 1974, and 1974 and 2024 (50 year gaps). We can't even fathom what we will have in 2074 (50 years from now).

We have cars today that largely drive themselves and completely drive themselves...in even 10 years this tech will be dramatically more advanced. Will EVERYBODY be driving an autonomous car in 10 years? For certain not.
Old 04-22-24, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
........And more people will be dead than is necessary because this technology was put into production before it was perfected. That's why sensible companies, like Bentley, won't use the Level-3 system...it is simply too risky.

Quick Reply: Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S.