Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
........And more people will be dead than is necessary because this technology was put into production before it was perfected. That's why sensible companies, like Bentley, won't use the Level-3 system...it is simply too risky.
Bentley is not a mainstream company, nor are they a tech leader. They will have this technology once they license it from someone else. I think Mercedes who is one of the industry leaders in safety is a pretty sensible company. Most of the safety features on every car today were pioneered by Mercedes.

Again, where are all the vehicle accidents from these types of driver aid systems? Short of some having to do with Tesla, you don't hear about a lot. By your logic they should be everywhere
Old 04-22-24, 12:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

There is no perfect for any mode of transport I am baffled why anyone thinks that is a requirement before autonomous cars are mainstream. You can't drive, fly, walk, take a bus or in general move from one place to another via any method with 100% safely and will never be able to.

Old 04-22-24, 12:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I think we are way less than a century away. Think about how far technology has come since 1924 (a century ago)...the difference between 1924 and 1974, and 1974 and 2024 (50 year gaps). We can't even fathom what we will have in 2074 (50 years from now).

We have cars today that largely drive themselves and completely drive themselves...in even 10 years this tech will be dramatically more advanced. Will EVERYBODY be driving an autonomous car in 10 years? For certain not.
You've got to watch Boardwalk Empire for a detailed, accurate portrayal of a century ago but that's for the other thread. It's stunning.

And I agree with your other statement... but what I'm talking about is wayyyyy down the line. I mean tech like having virtually every road communicating with cars, all cars communicate with other cars, just fully autonomous to where you don't have to do literally anything in any car except just ride. That's what I mean will take a century.
Old 04-22-24, 12:24 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There is no perfect for any mode of transport I am baffled why anyone thinks that is a requirement before autonomous cars are mainstream. You can't drive, fly, walk, take a bus or in general move from one place to another via any method with 100% safely and will never be able to.
I agree 100%.

​​​​​However, we no longer live in a society where a man's word is worth anything.

I see this as a nightmare because the blame shifts to whoever wants to lie and sue.

PS, plus the possibility of a scandal where the mfg knew there were problems but covered it up. Yikes!

Last edited by Margate330; 04-22-24 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-22-24, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think Mercedes who is one of the industry leaders in safety is a pretty sensible company. Most of the safety features on every car today were pioneered by Mercedes.
That's true. I'm not arguing that. For decades, Mercedes and Volvo have pretty much written the book on new safety features. But autonomous self-driving is another whole world. Nothing even remotely this complex, even with ABS, traction-control, VSC, lane-keeping, etc.... has ever been tried before. It has to anticipate and try and correct for almost every possible combination of road conditions, which is virtually impossible, even for a supercomputer.
Old 04-22-24, 01:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Then dont use it.

To me these systems just make driving easier. I dont look for them to "drive for me", I look for them to take much of the stress of driving off of me.

Thats why I love the Distronic in the Mercedes. It maintains distance, it keeps the car in the center of the lane, and you don't realize how much strain that takes off of you. I just got back from driving the Pacifica back and forth from NJ, it doesn't have any kind of lane centering tech and the difference is huge. You look down to find a chicken nugget or your sunglasses or something and all of a sudden you're out of your lane, doesn't happen in the Mercedes
Yeah so? My cars do that as well and it's more stressful for me to mind them vs just steer passively without thinking. I'm already sitting there having to monitor the car and that is more stressful not knowing exactly how it will react and having to wait for it to say something is wrong and I have to step in anyway.

Same with the rental Tesla except even more annoying. If I'm not driving I do not want to drive at all, the system has to be good enough that I do not have to mind it whatsoever. Otherwise it annoyed me more than just doing it myself since it's not as good as me and I constantly have to mind it.
Old 04-22-24, 01:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

........And more people will be dead than is necessary because this technology was put into production before it was perfected. That's why sensible companies, like Bentley, won't use the Level-3 system...it is simply too risky.
I just can't believe these people with very high IQs fall/fell asleep with Teslas.... I see a lot of this in the Bay Area which has a million of them. One of the guys that died because he fell asleep was a software engineer. Getting a PhD in Engineering isn't easy, you have to be smart.

They're smarter than a person like me brain-wise but I would NEVER trust that, EVER, instinct wise.
Old 04-22-24, 01:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how long is "a while ago"? this stuff is evolving fast.

that's called a controlling personality.

that's the whole point of self driving assistance or full driving.

my ioniq 5 can drive itself for long distances on interstates with no interaction (it's called highway driving assist [hda] 2). very relaxing.

lol. good question! their idea of progress is more wood and organ stop controls.

yup, my humble ioniq 5 is the same.

yes my lc500 has terrible lane keeping but it will at least beep if you're drifting out of your lane.
this got improved for 2024 model year though (finally).
Well you see here I'm sitting in the seat already.....I'm already in the position of driver so why should I tolerate a system that I have to monitor and does worse than me? Now if I can go sit in the back and sleep that's fine, but if I'm already "driving" it's just annoying

Last year about this time I borrowed my neighbors plaid for a week, we traded cars basically since he has never had a flagship. We both wanted to try something we hadn't had, he traded the Tesla for a Taycan after that
Old 04-22-24, 01:15 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I just can't believe these people with very high IQs fall/fell asleep with Teslas.... I see a lot of this in the Bay Area which has a million of them. One of the guys that died because he fell asleep was a software engineer. Getting a PhD in Engineering isn't easy, you have to be smart.

They're smarter than a person like me brain-wise but I would NEVER trust that, EVER, instinct wise.
I would totally sleep on the back if a system was as good as my wife driving! They aren't though.
Old 04-22-24, 01:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah so? My cars do that as well and it's more stressful for me to mind them vs just steer passively without thinking. I'm already sitting there having to monitor the car and that is more stressful not knowing exactly how it will react and having to wait for it to say something is wrong and I have to step in anyway.

Same with the rental Tesla except even more annoying. If I'm not driving I do not want to drive at all, the system has to be good enough that I do not have to mind it whatsoever. Otherwise it annoyed me more than just doing it myself since it's not as good as me and I constantly have to mind it.
Your cars are much older than my car, this technology gets better over time, people on the MB forums who have had both pre refresh and post refresh S Classes for instance say the post refresh is a huge improvement. Almost certainly the system in my car works better than what you have. In my car testing the new systems are even better than what I have.

Theres nothing to mind, I am still driving…it’s just helping me drive by doing most of the heavy lifting and allows me to focus less on keeping the car between the lines etc. It takes a lot of the strain out of driving for long distances.

Plus…you don’t have to use the feature. Nobody is forcing you to. If you don’t like it, dont use it.
Old 04-22-24, 01:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty sure a persons IQ doesn't make a difference if they fall asleep behind the wheel or not.
Old 04-22-24, 01:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Pretty sure a persons IQ doesn't make a difference if they fall asleep behind the wheel or not.
No, they let themselves fall asleep on purpose and trust the self driving.
Old 04-22-24, 01:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

No, they let themselves fall asleep on purpose and trust the self driving.
What happens if you set your cruise control and fall asleep? The "on purpose" part of your post is pretty funny I'll say that.
Old 04-22-24, 01:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's true. I'm not arguing that. For decades, Mercedes and Volvo have pretty much written the book on new safety features. But autonomous self-driving is another whole world. Nothing even remotely this complex, even with ABS, traction-control, VSC, lane-keeping, etc.... has ever been tried before. It has to anticipate and try and correct for almost every possible combination of road conditions, which is virtually impossible, even for a supercomputer.
But you are arguing that when you say companies are irresponsible for using this technology. Give Mercedes the benefit of the doubt.

And no offense, but you really don’t know what computers and AI are capable of doing. You think you do, but you don’t.
Old 04-22-24, 01:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

You mean like everyone? Every road? That's at least a century away IMO, but yes I do agree it will happen. We'll all be dead and gone by the time there's a grid and nobody has to physically drive anywhere, all autonomous.
in the future, we don’t need roads

Quick Reply: Mercedes becomes the first automaker to sell autonomous cars in the U.S.