Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best selling vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Rogue and Rogue Sport have both been extremely popular for a number of years....even over and above rental-sales. Like Crosstreks and RAV-4s, you see them everywhere.
Nissan themselves say 50% of their sales are to fleets...
Old 04-22-24, 07:27 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Funny thing about the rouge, I personally know 7 people with them. It's for some reason THE default choice for people who don't care about cars at all and want something with AWD
Old 04-22-24, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Funny thing about the rouge, I personally know 7 people with them. It's for some reason THE default choice for people who don't care about cars at all and want something with AWD
Its cheap, they're decent looking. My cousin had one, he just traded it in on a Jeep Cherokee (from mediocrity to mediocrity)...it was reasonably good looking, capable but SO slow. I drove it to and from WV one time and in the mountains on the highway it was so underpowered.
Old 04-22-24, 07:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, that's true. The low price, versatility of a crossover, and a simple cheap way to get AWD is basically what sells them. I haven't counted them all, but there are more than 7 of them just in my condo townhouse development.
Old 04-22-24, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nissan themselves say 50% of their sales are to fleets...
They aren't necessarily saying that 50% of Rogue sales are to fleets. The Altima and Sentra, for example, have been very popular in fleets.
Old 04-22-24, 09:00 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Nissan's loose credit policies have something to do with this.

There's a reason nissan is the most common new car in bad neighborhoods.
Old 04-22-24, 10:25 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

392 credit score go brrrrrrrrr! lol!
Old 04-22-24, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

392 credit score go brrrrrrrrr! lol!

Mitsubishi has a reputation for marketing to even lower-income/lower-credit people than Nissan....but Nissan, at least, still has a string of dealerships. Mitsubishi has allowed their American-market dealerships to dwindle down to almost nothing.
Old 04-22-24, 09:19 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Mitsubishi has a reputation for marketing to even lower-income/lower-credit people than Nissan....but Nissan, at least, still has a string of dealerships. Mitsubishi has allowed their American-market dealerships to dwindle down to almost nothing.
Chicken or the egg on that front. No sense operating a vast dealer network if nobody's buying your cars.
Old 04-22-24, 09:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,682 Posts

Damn, I was really rooting for the Ford Transit van.....🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-23-24 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-23-24, 05:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Chicken or the egg on that front. No sense operating a vast dealer network if nobody's buying your cars.
A business reality that is always ignored lol

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Damn, I was really rooting for the Ford Transit van.....🤣🤣🤣🤣
Come on Transit Van! You can do it!
Old 04-23-24, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
A business reality that is always ignored lol
We've discussed this issue before in Car Chat....the chicken or the egg? Which caused which? Did sales fall off because the manufacturer allowed too many dealerships to close up, dealerships, or did dealerships close because they simply could not sell enough vehicles to make a profit?

While there is an element of truth in both views, I personally am of the opinion (and rather strongly) that you cannot sell what you don't have outlets and dealerships for. The more dealerships shut down, the fewer of them remain....and the harder it is for the remaining customers and potential customers to reach them.

I ran into this first-hand with a friend of mine a few years ago, who lived in Carson City, NV. He was interested in a new Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, primarily because of its versatility, low price, long Hyundai-like warranty, reasonably good build quality, and a cheap simple way to get AWD. So, I did a dealer-search for him, and the nearest Mitsubishi dealership was some 80 or 90 miles away, on the other side of Lake Tahoe, in California. That, unfortunately, put an end to that.
Old 04-23-24, 08:46 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

If you used a bit of critical thinking you would have reached a different conclusion
Old 04-23-24, 08:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,682 Posts

We've discussed this issue before in Car Chat....the chicken or the egg? Which caused which? Did sales fall off because the manufacturer allowed too many dealerships to close up, dealerships, or did dealerships close because they simply could not sell enough vehicles to make a profit?

While there is an element of truth in both views, I personally am of the opinion (and rather strongly) that you cannot sell what you don't have outlets and dealerships for. The more dealerships shut down, the fewer of them remain....and the harder it is for the remaining customers and potential customers to reach them.

I ran into this first-hand with a friend of mine a few years ago, who lived in Carson City, NV. He was interested in a new Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, primarily because of its versatility, low price, long Hyundai-like warranty, reasonably good build quality, and a cheap simple way to get AWD. So, I did a dealer-search for him, and the nearest Mitsubishi dealership was some 80 or 90 miles away, on the other side of Lake Tahoe, in California. That, unfortunately, put an end to that.
80 or 90 miles away is not that far away. A friend of mine drove to Ventura, CA which is over 300 miles from his house to pickup up his M4340i. In 2019 I drove to Orange County, CA, nearly 380 miles from my home to look at and buy a low mileage 2nd Gen IS350 Sport. Your friend didn't really want it that bad, and I say he made the right choice
Old 04-23-24, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is a conclusion reached with no business knowledge or experience.

A business cannot pay the overhead for a dealer network if they don't have sales to justify that network. A company that reduces their number of dealerships did so because their sales no longer justified having that many dealerships. It becomes a vicious cycle, because like you say lack of dealers keeps customers from being able to buy the product...but if customers were buying enough of the product they never would have closed the dealers. A business can only pay non performing overhead for so long hoping for a turnaround until they have to make hard decisions and reduce that overhead. Also bear in mind that carmakers don't own and operate dealers, they are independently owned and operated. With nobody wanting to buy Mitsubishi cars, those owners decided not to continue with their Mistubishi franchises and closed them down. Again...no buyers...no dealers.

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-23-24 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Best selling vehicles