Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Federal Safety Regulation.....automatic-emergency-braking by 2029.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-24, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You either care about your personal freedoms or you don't...you can't have freedom without risk, and the threat of risk is often the justification used to convince us to give up our freedom.

We also should have freedoms that allow us to drive down the road without being hit by someone else who has over-imbibed.
Old 04-30-24, 08:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,959 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Looks like I was wrong about the worst drivers demo.

Old 04-30-24, 08:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We also should have freedoms that allow us to drive down the road without being hit by someone else who has over-imbibed.
Thats not worth having to prove that we are not drinking and driving every time we start our cars. They need to enforce the law and keep drunk drivers off the road.
Old 04-30-24, 09:23 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

What you say would be correct IF driving was a Constitutional right. But, the legal fact (always has been) is that, in all 50 states and D.C., driving on public roads is not a right, but a privilege. As drivers, we all have to put up with some things that we don't like...that just goes with the license. It was the same way when I got my Airman's (Pilot) License years ago.

https://driversed.com/driving-inform...e-not-a-right/
And did you have to get drug tested every time you showed up at the airport to make sure you were not impaired at exactly that moment?
Old 04-30-24, 10:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't believe there's ever been an infringement upon personal liberty or privacy that mmarshall doesn't enthusiastically support "for safety".

Old 05-01-24, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I don't believe there's ever been an infringement upon personal liberty or privacy that mmarshall doesn't enthusiastically support "for safety".
Regulations or not, I have always believed that the best safety feature is simply eyes on the road.
Old 05-01-24, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
And did you have to get drug tested every time you showed up at the airport to make sure you were not impaired at exactly that moment?
Yes and no. As a pilot, I got regular drug testing myself...it was required.
Old 05-01-24, 12:20 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Only if he knows he can always comply....
Old 05-01-24, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Wrong. Actually, I never liked the electronic Lane-Keeping features. I've found that, on some vehicles, they are either overly-sensitive to the slightest drift to or away from a lane-marking, and drive you nuts with constant beeps, or, on some other vehicles (including mine) they aren't sensitive enough, and let you drift all over the place or stop working at certain speeds and conditions. I generally keep mine turned off.
Old 05-01-24, 07:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

What you say would be correct IF driving was a Constitutional right. But, the legal fact (always has been) is that, in all 50 states and D.C., driving on public roads is not a right, but a privilege. As drivers, we all have to put up with some things that we don't like...that just goes with the license. It was the same way when I got my Airman's (Pilot) License years ago.

https://driversed.com/driving-inform...e-not-a-right/
Lol. Then I guess you fully approve of rights only applying to basic/historical ways of doing stuff.

Better get off of here and write letters to people since freedom of speech need only apply to that method haha!
Old 05-01-24, 07:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Let me ask you this: ......do you think we should have systems like we do, where one's foot has to be on the brake pedal (or the clutch-pedal in a stick-shift car) to start the engine, the transmission lever has to be in Park before the engine will start or shut off, and one's foot has to be on the brake pedal before you can shift out of Park? Personally, I don't see much difference between those and having a clear breath before the ignition will work.
No I think those systems are only to cover for morons. So let them deal with the consequences
Old 05-01-24, 07:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

That's not how that works. Stay home if you are that scared
Old 05-01-24, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
That's not how that works. Stay home if you are that scared
First, I am not scared......I've probably driven a million or more miles in my lifetime.....thousands alone just doing auto-reviews over the years. Second, that's EXACTLY how it works...one cannot put a price on human life. Third, these systems are put into vehicles for a reason....most of the time, in most places, they save those lives.....although some of the self-driving systems still have serious problems.
Old 05-02-24, 05:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Frankly, I think we are simply arguing over a moot point. No matter what our own personal view of the system (a few of us on Car Chat seem to be in favor of it...the majority not), it is a done deal, unless overturned by the next Administration. That's why I started the thread. And many, if not most, of today's vehicles already have it.
Old 05-02-24, 05:58 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Second, that's EXACTLY how it works...one cannot put a price on human life.
This is an incredibly naïve view. Of course you can, and it's done hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of times per day. The existence of society and progress depends on our ability to put a price on human life. If we could not, then every thing that is made would cost infinite money. This is why engineering degrees also have embedded ethics courses, because those tradeoffs are a part of their day to day work. Usually a standard is created and followed. To use the prior example of airplanes, that standard is 150% of expected load. A plane's structure must be able to handle 50% more stress than the plane is expected to experience during normal operations. That's considered a reasonable incremental expense for the lives saved in incidents where a plane experiences forces slightly beyond its operating envelope. But if it experiences 75% more stress, the airframe will fail and people will die. We've decided that the expense to save those marginal lives is not worth it.

Bringing it back to the thread topic, that is also the case here. The technology behind this was actually invented in the 1950s. But it was shelved because we put a price on human life then too, and decided it wasn't worth it at the time:

Early warning systems were attempted as early as the late 1950s. An example is Cadillac, which developed a prototype vehicle named the Cadillac Cyclone which used the new radar technology to detect objects in front of the car with the radar sensors mounted inside "nose cones". It was deemed too costly to manufacture.

The modern version of what we now know as AEB was patented in 1990, and first available in 1995. It took 30 years from that point for the mandate to come. Why? Because the small number of lives that would be saved were not worth the staggering economic costs. Not then, not 20 years ago, and not 10 years ago. But technology marches ever onward--efficacy improves and costs decline. Fast forward to today, when this technology is finally fairly effective, and already standard equipment on >70% of vehicles. The incremental cost to bring that to 100% is now deemed worthwhile. It took 70 years from that Cadillac prototype to cross the threshold where the human costs outweigh the economic costs. So as a society we now collectively agree to bear the economic costs in order to save those lives.

Quick Reply: New Federal Safety Regulation.....automatic-emergency-braking by 2029.