Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$600 license and registration fees for a new car in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 12:13 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

My 540i was about $500 here in Nevada in November, and it was 6 years old at the time. My truck was around $6-700 a year to register when I first bought it, now it's down to around $150.

Unlike California however, we have no state income tax and low property taxes so I'm not too upset about the DMV tax. Still much cheaper for me overall than if I had to pay a state income tax.
Old 05-05-24, 01:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
My 540i was about $500 here in Nevada in November, and it was 6 years old at the time. My truck was around $6-700 a year to register when I first bought it, now it's down to around $150.

Unlike California however, we have no state income tax and low property taxes so I'm not too upset about the DMV tax. Still much cheaper for me overall than if I had to pay a state income tax.
Haha, we don’t have a state income tax either and the wheel tax is $70. Where they get us is sales tax, over 9%. It stings when you buy a tv or whatever. But overall we’re 49/50 for overall tax burden. My property tax is less than $100 a month for at least a half million dollar house. It just went down lol.

The affordability problem now is real estate has absolutely gone insane over the last 6-10 years. Fine by me as a homeowner.
Old 05-05-24, 01:24 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Haha, we don’t have a state income tax either and the wheel tax is $70. Where they get us is sales tax, over 9%. It stings when you buy a tv or whatever. But overall we’re 49/50 for overall tax burden. My property tax is less than $100 a month for at least a half million dollar house. It just went down lol.

The affordability problem now is real estate has absolutely gone insane over the last 6-10 years. Fine by me as a homeowner.
Long Island will soon be moving in, they love tossing their McDonald empty bags out the window.
Car registration fees are affordable out here but car insurance went up a bit. I hear home owners insurance may also be climbing, hopefully not like Florida.
Old 05-05-24, 01:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYIS300awdFS
Long Island will soon be moving in, they love tossing their McDonald empty bags out the window.
Car registration fees are affordable out here but car insurance went up a bit. I hear home owners insurance may also be climbing, hopefully not like Florida.
Welcome to them all, please keep making my house worth more and more.

Just leave the BS from up there, there. And most transplants do.

Homeowners insurance has gone up but nothing that’s a big deal.
Old 05-05-24, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to them all, please keep making my house worth more and more.

Just leave the BS from up there, there. And most transplants do.

Homeowners insurance has gone up but nothing that’s a big deal.
Keep in mind.....the more your house/property is worth (and the higher its value is assessed) the more property-tax you pay on it every year......so that's fine, if you enjoy padding the County's Pocket.

And, as you noted, the more insurance-premium you pay, too.

Where I live (Fairfax County, VA) in the D.C. suburbs, we have some of the highest property values in the country outside of Manhattan and the West Coast. The population here skyrocketed for decades, forcing up home values, but the tax load has gotten to the point that people are now starting to move out...they simply cannot afford it any more.

Back to the thread-topic, though, vehicle-registration fees here are quite reasonable compared to many other places. The DMV itself does not pick your pocket too badly....but you do pay a yearly County Personal-Property tax on the assessed-value of your vehicle, because there is no County Income Tax.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-24 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-05-24, 05:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Keep in mind.....the more your house/property is worth (and the higher its value is assessed) the more property-tax you pay on it every year......so that's fine, if you enjoy padding the County's Pocket.

And, as you noted, the more insurance-premium you pay, too.
My property taxes just went down, not up, and so did everyone else's. They did a reassessment this or last year.

Me giving Knox County $1100 a year for my 1/4 acre corner, wooded and private lot with a house that's nearly tripled in value since we bought it 7 years ago..... fine by me.

Last edited by AJT123; 05-07-24 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-05-24, 05:22 PM
Boboso52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That’s about right. I bought a used 2023 NX a couple of days ago which was about the same fee. My 2019 RX is five years old. It was due in July and would have been $344 to renew. The registration is based on the sales price and declines a bit at each year’s renewal. The license fee is combined with a basic property tax charge., not to mention some special program fees. California is high tax on a lot of stuff.
Old 05-05-24, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My property taxes just went down, not up, and so did everyone else's. They did a reassessment this or last year.

Me giving Knox County $1100 a year for my 1/4 acre corner lot with a house that's nearly tripled in value since we bought it 7 years ago..... fine by me.

Did the actual tax rate go down, the assessment-value go down, or both? One can vary, of course, without the other changing, and it will affect the bill.
Old 05-05-24, 06:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

My prop taxes kind of suck, over 14k a year for me.
Old 05-05-24, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
My prop taxes kind of suck, over 14k a year for me.
You can at least deduct a maximum of $10K of them on your Federal taxes...on Schedule A.
Old 05-05-24, 09:24 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did the actual tax rate go down, the assessment-value go down, or both? One can vary, of course, without the other changing, and it will affect the bill.
Some states, like Nevada, have a cap on property tax increases on primary residences. The way it works is they will assess it as normal and determine the property tax without the cap. Then, if it's a primary residence without an ownership change in the last year, they cap what's actually charged to you to a 3% increase so that your actual tax bill can not go up more than 3% per year. So if it was $1,000 last year, it can't be more than $1,030 this year. If you sell, it resets and the new guy stats at the presently assessed tax.
Old 05-05-24, 09:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Some states, like Nevada, have a cap on property tax increases on primary residences. The way it works is they will assess it as normal and determine the property tax without the cap. Then, if it's a primary residence without an ownership change in the last year, they cap what's actually charged to you to a 3% increase so that your actual tax bill can not go up more than 3% per year. So if it was $1,000 last year, it can't be more than $1,030 this year. If you sell, it resets and the new guy stats at the presently assessed tax.

Yes, Thanks, I'm aware of how the caps work...a good idea. I wish we had them here in Northern Virginia....we're pretty much at the mercy of whatever the assessors rate our properties at each year, and whatever the County Board members decide they can get away with by setting the rates.

I know things are different in Nevada......for one thing, like in Florida, so many tourists constantly come into the state and spend money there that these tourists essentially provide the revenue what would normally be levied in state income taxes. So, states like Nevada and Florida can get by without a state income tax.
Old 05-06-24, 09:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

feels nice to just spend $75 a year even for a viper
Old 05-06-24, 10:16 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulk181
I bought a new 2023 ES 350 last year in CA. I got a letter from the Dmv saying that my license and renewal fees will be $600 this year.

Does that sound about right? I got personalized plates if that makes any difference.

It's my 1st new car so any help is appreciated.

Thanks again.
$300 registration doesn't surprise me for a new vehicle in CA. I am confused by the $294 Weight Fee. That figure is not listed exactly on the DMV website, but it looks like the DMV thinks your vehicle is at least a class H, which would weigh between 8,001-9,000 pounds. That sounds like a lot for an ES350.

Old 05-06-24, 10:21 AM
Boboso52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natman
$300 registration doesn't surprise me for a new vehicle in CA. I am confused by the $294 Weight Fee. That figure is not listed exactly on the DMV website, but it looks like the DMV thinks your vehicle is at least a class H, which would weigh between 8,001-9,000 pounds. That sounds like a lot for an ES350.
The Weight fee is for commercial vehicles which includes pickup trucks.

The $294 is the property tax portion of the registration - License Fee.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle...veh-sect-9400/

Last edited by Boboso52; 05-06-24 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: $600 license and registration fees for a new car in CA?