Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$600 license and registration fees for a new car in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 10:58 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

my 3/4 ton dodge has the weight fee each year:{
Old 05-06-24, 02:50 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Welcome to them all, please keep making my house worth more and more.
What he means is welcome to the Knoxville area. Please don't come to the Nashville area except to visit and spend money! I saw on the news (most longtime locals now avoid downtown) that this last weekend was crazy downtown with Morgan Wallen concerts for 3 nights at Nissan Stadium, Sounds (AAA baseball) Friday thru Sunday, Predators on Friday, pro soccer on Saturday, and other concerts at other venues. Alleged that yesterday was one of the busiest at the airport with folks flying out.

Re property taxes....in Tennessee there is a state law that keeps the city/county governments in line when there is a property re-assessment. The tax rate gets adjusted downward so the total tax revenue is unchanged. If the government leaders want to raise property taxes, they then have to vote to raise the rate after the re-assessment. In the Nashville area, newer areas, or new construction in older areas, have appreciated much faster that established areas, which generates the fluctuations. We have lived in our house 30 years, and our property taxes have stayed relatively flat the last several years.

Re autos, my tag renewal is around $90 and that is with a $35 charge for my "Support our Troops" specialty plate. As mentioned we have no personal property tax.

Last edited by wasjr; 05-06-24 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 02:59 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

How much does it cost to renew an EV similar price in California? Could it be because it's an ICE car? Some anti-EV states () put a hefty charge on EVs. I wonder if California is doing the same on ICEs.
Old 05-06-24, 03:40 PM
Boboso52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
How much does it cost to renew an EV similar price in California? Could it be because it's an ICE car? Some anti-EV states () put a hefty charge on EVs. I wonder if California is doing the same on ICEs.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCal...VehicleFees.do

I ran this DMV calculator and Gas versus EV registration was basically the same (EV was $20 cheaper for a car costing $39.5K). California collects a lot of gas tax at the pump. I'm sure they would like to extract more money out of the EV drivers.
Old 05-06-24, 04:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did the actual tax rate go down, the assessment-value go down, or both? One can vary, of course, without the other changing, and it will affect the bill.
Lol don't know don't care, it went down not up.

Originally Posted by wasjr
What he means is welcome to the Knoxville area. Please don't come to the Nashville area except to visit and spend money! I saw on the news (most longtime locals now avoid downtown) that this last weekend was crazy downtown with Morgan Wallen concerts for 3 nights at Nissan Stadium, Sounds (AAA baseball) Friday thru Sunday, Predators on Friday, pro soccer on Saturday, and other concerts at other venues. Alleged that yesterday was one of the busiest at the airport with folks flying out.

Re property taxes....in Tennessee there is a state law that keeps the city/county governments in line when there is a property re-assessment. The tax rate gets adjusted downward so the total tax revenue is unchanged. If the government leaders want to raise property taxes, they then have to vote to raise the rate after the re-assessment. In the Nashville area, newer areas, or new construction in older areas, have appreciated much faster that established areas, which generates the fluctuations. We have lived in our house 30 years, and our property taxes have stayed relatively flat the last several years.
ax.
However, WASJR just explained it.

Nashville has become beyond insane, almost like Vegas with no gambling.

The crazy Nashville housing prices trickled over here from there about 6-10 years ago. Houses are still going up like crazy, expensive ones... and they're selling.. even with 7% mortgages. I'd rather rent temporarily than give that much money to a bank.

In TN which is already so light on taxes, you'll hear the politicians still trying to cut them even more lol.

BTW re: Morgan Wallen concert, my spouse went with parents, they made it home wayyyyyy later than I thought lol, mostly bc of Nashville craziness. It was close to 5AM when they got back here to West Knox.

Last edited by AJT123; 05-06-24 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 07:00 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

I hear there is amazing mountain bike riding in Tennessee, another incentive to move there.
Old 05-06-24, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NYIS300awdFS
I hear there is amazing mountain bike riding in Tennessee, another incentive to move there.
Probably not in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, though, in Tennessee's highest peaks. Motorized vehicles and bikes are generally not allowed off-pavement in national parks.
Old 05-06-24, 09:19 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Probably not in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, though, in Tennessee's highest peaks. Motorized vehicles and bikes are generally not allowed off-pavement in national parks.
https://www.alltrails.com/us/tennessee
Old 05-07-24, 05:10 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

People ride bikes in Cade's Cove all the time and there are dedicated bike rides with no cars allowed pretty frequently.

But no, I wouldn't go far off any trails on a bike.

Pretty cool to see license plates from literally all over the country for something that's 35-40 minutes from my front door. Lovvvvve where I live.

https://cadescovetrading.com/bikes/

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...-free-days.htm
Old 05-07-24, 06:11 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by NYIS300awdFS
The small city I live in just built a seven mile mountain bike trail through the hilly woods of a large city park (a farm the owner received a tax deduction for a cheap sale to the city several years ago).
Where I am there has been huge growth. When corporations move to Nashville, the executives move to my county as we have probably the best public school systems in the state.
Old 05-07-24, 06:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I feel like there's a decent amount of us on here who live in Tennessee??

There is (or was) this one guy on here with an LS460 that lives a neighborhood or two over from me haha.
Old 05-07-24, 06:58 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

um, thread drift.
Old 05-07-24, 10:26 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Right. What else do people pay? What about some of you in the NE?
Old 05-07-24, 10:53 AM
Pierregirard
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard that taxes in CA are high. Still, it doesn't stop people from buying more and more cars
Old 05-07-24, 10:53 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Re property taxes....in Tennessee there is a state law that keeps the city/county governments in line when there is a property re-assessment. The tax rate gets adjusted downward so the total tax revenue is unchanged. If the government leaders want to raise property taxes, they then have to vote to raise the rate after the re-assessment..
That's actually not uncommon at all. In IL, which is at the opposite end of the spectrum (I pay 10x what AJT does for a house of similar value), property tax rates for the various taxing bodies are determined by the total tax being levied, not the other way around. So for example, our high school district (which I believe is the largest HS district in the country) has a total approved tax levy of approximately $251M, and the total assessed valuation (not the total value) of all properties in the district is $9.3B, so the tax rate is 2.71%. This was a re-assessment year, so valuations were up 15.7% from roughly $8B the year prior, but the levy was only up by 2.4% ($6M). So our tax rate went down from 3.06% to 2.71% despite both the total district tax amount and our valuations going up.

As for the thread topic of vehicle registration, ours is $165 for title, and $151/year for registration. So the first year is $316, and subsequent years are $151, regardless of vehicle age or value.

Quick Reply: $600 license and registration fees for a new car in CA?