Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Out with old - in with new(er)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 07:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Yea I remember when the spindle grille debuted. There was A LOT of threads about it.
I still have not bought one bec of the spindle just like i will not buy new M3 with pig nose.

The spindle and the ordering process are 2 main reasons that I have not purchased LC500. It looks ok in some angles but when you’re spending $100k on a car - you should love it.
Old 05-20-24, 07:55 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It gets to a point where it gets tiresome. If every thread in a forum for new BMWs is people with older ones *****ing about the styling, that’s over the top and those people need to be removed. It’s the same way here, it’s like the spindle grill. We get it, lots of people don’t like it. Every conversation doesn’t need to be about that.
I think it’s not proper to criticize a car’s styling when an owner posts a pic of their car - obviously they like it. If it’s a mod they did, then I think its open to criticism.

The BMW situation happened on posts when the cars first came out. You had long time owners getting banned bec they provided criticism on styling, weight gain etc. It was like BMW erasing well written posts that didn’t agree with new direction and provided valid points…..

The funny part was they banned a guy that bought a new M3, then sold it and listed the reasons that it didn’t appeal to him. That is not what forums should be about. The new M3/4 definitely attract certain crowd that is not open to any criticism like Tesla fanboys etc. i think its more of younger generation not open to differing opinions for whatever reasons.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 05-20-24 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-20-24, 10:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I don't read those forums so I can't speak to what happens there, but there absolutely is relentless negativity that happens in forums from people who don't own the car in question that ruins the enjoyment of the forum for the people who do own the car.
Old 05-20-24, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The spindle and the ordering process are 2 main reasons that I have not purchased LC500. It looks ok in some angles but when you’re spending $100k on a car - you should love it.
I think it looks incredible from any angle, one of if not the most beautiful cars on the road IMO. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-20-24, 10:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

but there absolutely is relentless negativity that happens in forums from people who don't own the car in question that ruins the enjoyment of the forum for the people who do own the car.
since most people own 1 or 2 cars, they logically DON'T own 99.999999% of different car models out there. if people could only comment positively and only on cars they own, the forum would be pretty limited.
Old 05-20-24, 10:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
since most people own 1 or 2 cars, they logically DON'T own 99.999999% of different car models out there. if people could only comment positively and only on cars they own, the forum would be pretty limited.
Bear in mind we are talking about forums dedicated to a specific model car, not general forums like Car Chat. For instance if you go into a BMW 7 Series forum and constantly talk about how much you hate the 7 Series and don't own one, thats wrong and shouldn't be allowed. A one off comment here and there is one thing but there are people who do that repeatedly over and over again for fun.

This was a huge issue in the LS460 forum for instance where LS430 owners would come in and just bash the hell out of the car, it still happens.
Old 05-20-24, 10:59 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Bear in mind we are talking about forums dedicated to a specific model car, not general forums like Car Chat. For instance if you go into a BMW 7 Series forum and constantly talk about how much you hate the 7 Series and don't own one, thats wrong and shouldn't be allowed. A one off comment here and there is one thing but there are people who do that repeatedly over and over again for fun.

This was a huge issue in the LS460 forum for instance where LS430 owners would come in and just bash the hell out of the car, it still happens.
Well on Bimmerpost for example - you have main page that has the hot topics. When new pig nose styling came out, EVERYONE had opinions lol
If it’s something on front page, you will have general members commenting on it.
Old 05-20-24, 11:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I think it looks incredible from any angle, one of if not the most beautiful cars on the road IMO. Different strokes for different folks.
There are some weakpoints on it for me:
1. The factory stance - way too much wheel gap and wheel offset is conservative.
2. Wheel design - especially new ones on refresh. Polished chrome look is just not great. This is easy change.
3. Rear diffuser area with chrome bits and weird exhaust outlets.
4. Weird chrome trim on upper taillight housing.
5. The Spindle grill design - serves no purpose and just way too gaudy. It is better in black chrome finish.

Overall the car is a beautiful design but to me its not perfect.
Old 05-20-24, 11:14 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

If you folks have a comment about OP's car, please share. If not, please post in General Car Chat.
Old 05-20-24, 11:30 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm jealous of OP having Android Auto. Wish my 17 had that.

Tips for upkeep:

Sonax leather foam every few months on the seats. It cleans and conditions the leather, and IIRC it's the same stuff BMW dealers use under a different label.

I've got griot's garage interior cleaner for the other surfaces.
Old 05-20-24, 12:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! That is my favorite gen of the 5 Series.
Old 05-20-24, 01:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I love this gen of 5-series. I had one very briefly as a loaner vehicle once, and I was surprised how much I liked it. It drives great. Congrats!
Old 05-20-24, 04:49 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I drive the hearse, aka Opel….er Buick Regal TourX. Not into caring what people think 😀. But thanks for kind words… all that matters is that the wife likes it, considering it was a complete surprise to her 😀.
Old 05-20-24, 06:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Irony being if they end up owning a 460 the tune changes...
Old 05-20-24, 06:58 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
Looks good.

I think my next car will have black interior.
Always looks good with minimal effort.

Quick Reply: Out with old - in with new(er)