Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota GR Supra And BMW Z4 To Ride Off Into The Sunset In 2026

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-24, 11:36 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I'm trying to make sense of whether the chicken or egg came first here. Are sales low because Toyota deliberately limited production to make it a collector item, or has Toyota limited production based on what they believe the market will sustain?

Same thing seems to have happened with the new Z. Nissan isn't making hardly any of them. I don't think I've seen one in person yet. Is this just where we are now with sports cars? Is Ford the outlier in making as many Mustangs as they can sell?
hard to say, just did a search on autortrader nationwide and there were less than 240 new ones showing with B58 motor. Seems to be a combo of price and limited production so dealers are asking msrp or higher for them.
Old 05-30-24, 05:07 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Car is now an orphan good luck finding any mechanic to work on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuvmthfbJQ8
Originally Posted by Striker223
Just go to a guy who works on BMWs and you will be fine
Originally Posted by LeX2K
Unlikely, they'll say go to Toyota. Toyota will say go to BMW.
Or you could work on it yourself

Originally Posted by JDR76
All the more pressure and temptation to go pick one up...
^This!!
Old 05-30-24, 05:19 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
All the more pressure and temptation to go pick one up...
Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
^This!!
I would already have one if I could get into the thing. Roofline is SUPER low at the door opening and I can't contort my neck enough to get inside.
Old 05-30-24, 05:29 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I would already have one if I could get into the thing. Roofline is SUPER low at the door opening and I can't contort my neck enough to get inside.

You need to reel back just a tad 😆
Old 05-30-24, 07:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Sometimes it's advantageous to not be very tall.
Old 05-30-24, 09:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

After what they are doing with GR Yaris and GR Corolla, i expect great things from next GR86 and Supra.
Old 05-30-24, 09:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I'm trying to make sense of whether the chicken or egg came first here. Are sales low because Toyota deliberately limited production to make it a collector item, or has Toyota limited production based on what they believe the market will sustain?

Same thing seems to have happened with the new Z. Nissan isn't making hardly any of them. I don't think I've seen one in person yet. Is this just where we are now with sports cars? Is Ford the outlier in making as many Mustangs as they can sell?
the Z4 sales are 1/2 of the Toyota sales

When you can get sedans and SUVs with 300/400 HP these days, the justification for an impractical coupe or roadster isn't really there. Only people who really want that type of car are going to get one.
Old 05-30-24, 09:32 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
After what they are doing with GR Yaris and GR Corolla, i expect great things from next GR86 and Supra.
You can yet expect great things from this generation of Supra before its final curtain call. The GRMN Supra is in testing now, and should be unveiled in the next 6 months or so. Rumors are strong that it will be getting the S58 motor from the current M2/3/4, as well as the 7-speed DCT from the prior-gen M cars, plus more aero and less weight.
Old 05-30-24, 10:03 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

What are they doing with those exactly?
Old 05-30-24, 10:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Next cars will be hybrid and that means most likely auto only.
Old 05-30-24, 10:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Supra has one of the worst seating positions and you can’t see out of it at all. Just as bad as a Camaro.

This is what happens when you cheapen out and not develop a proper coupe.
Old 06-02-24, 09:27 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No surprise here, it's hard to justify producing a car that sells less than 3000 units a year; the Jag F Type and Camaro are gone as well.

I hope they will continue developing the GR86 though.
Old 06-02-24, 09:34 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I always found the Toyota and BMW joint effort on the Supra to be quite strange. It’s such a departure but then again, so is the BRZ/Scion/Toyota 86 partnership with Subaru.
Old 06-02-24, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm not a bit surprised to see the Supra being canned. First, it was not a real Toyota product to start with, but had a LOT of BMW influence in its design and construction. That may have worked, at least to some extent, with the relatively inexpensive Toyota 86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z sports car, which used a flat-four Subaru-derived drivetrain and some other components, but not in something of the Supra's class and expense.

Second, a lot of enthusiasts, and those in the auto-press, complained for years about Toyota's so-called "appliances", and clamored Toyota to bring back the Supra line........and, when they did, very few of them were actually sold. The fact is that the people in the auto press and even a lot of "enthusiasts" in numbers, represent only a very small part of the actual demand for new vehicles in the U.S. Most people, like it or not, end up buying automotive appliances.
Old 06-02-24, 11:35 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't think the BMW brought down the "class" of a Toyota product, LOL

The joint venture helped preserve the spirit of the Supra by providing a 2 door RWD coupe with a very potent inline 6 engine.

Without that partnership, Toyota would have never been able to justify the investment in bringing back the Supra. Anything else would have been significantly watered down. At best it would have had a 2GR which would have made it uncompetitive or a v35a which we're learning is a joke of an engine.

​​

Quick Reply: Toyota GR Supra And BMW Z4 To Ride Off Into The Sunset In 2026