Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

L certified CPO nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-24, 01:42 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Always always test drive, inspect before buying.

CPO is self certifying. It’s meaningless.
Old 05-31-24, 02:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
None of this is major, it can all be easily solved. I wouldn't worry about it. Take it to the other dealer and let them take care of it.
Bent wheels, bad alignment and probably multiple panels repainted is not major? Good grief lol.
Old 05-31-24, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Bent wheels, bad alignment and probably multiple panels repainted is not major? Good grief lol.
They’ll replace the wheels, redo the alignment and the overspray is easy to remove. Nobody said anything about repainted panels but if there are repainted panels, Lexus allows there to be up to 3.

Nothing here that can’t be fixed.
Old 05-31-24, 03:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Nothing here that can’t be fixed.
Do you really think this is a good argument?

Here's the truth, many dealers take the inspection list and check everything off without ever looking the car over I've seen this myself. I once test drove a car with a cracked strut tower, had the inspection paper in hand. When I pointed out the damage guess what the sales rep said? Offered me a discount.

Most dealerships are pure scum.
Old 05-31-24, 03:21 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Sounds like CPO program = Marketing Ploy to make you pay more
Dealerships also hate CPO because they have to pay out of their pockets to get a car certified, and the manufacturer usually requires a certain % of used vehicles sold in each dealership to be certified otherwise the dealerships will get punished i.e. reduced inventory. You'll see many dealerships be coy and present their own "certified warranty" that has nothing to do with CPO and merely only applies to their specific dealership.
Old 05-31-24, 04:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Do you really think this is a good argument?

Here's the truth, many dealers take the inspection list and check everything off without ever looking the car over I've seen this myself. I once test drove a car with a cracked strut tower, had the inspection paper in hand. When I pointed out the damage guess what the sales rep said? Offered me a discount.

Most dealerships are pure scum.
I completely agree with you, but at this point he owns the car and can’t take it back. These are things that are easily fixed, make them fix them and move on.

Im a pragmatist.
Old 06-01-24, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

They’ll replace the wheels, redo the alignment and the overspray is easy to remove.
do you really think the dealer will do the right thing and replace the wheels?
Old 06-01-24, 06:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do you really think the dealer will do the right thing and replace the wheels?
Yeah I do, if he causes enough fuss.
Old 06-07-24, 03:38 PM
sawnzo1212
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update* Lexus of Escondido confirmed the issues. Here is their email to me from the service department. "Good morning sir,

We did complete out initial inspection on the vehicle. I will respond with the findings below.

BRAKE CONCERN: CONFIRMED CONCERN. NORMAL OPERATION WHEN APPLYING THE BRAKES. BRAKE ACTUATOR IS THE NOISE THAT IS BEING HEARD. BRAKE ACTUATOR ENGAGES CAUSING THE BUZZING SOUND. NO PROBLEM FOUND

WHEEL CONCERN: CONFIRMED CONCERN DURING TEST DRIVE. INSPECTED WHEELS AND FOUND THE RIGHT FRONT, LEFT REAR, AND RIGHT REAR WHEELS TO BE BENT. RECOMMEND REPLACING THE 3 BENT RIMS

OIL LEVEL CONCERN: CHECKED OIL LEVEL AND FOUND IT ½ QUART OVERFILLED. REMOVED ½ QUART OF OIL. OIL LEVEL IS NOW CORRECT

OVERSPRAY CONCERN: RECOMMEND PERFORMING AN EXTERIOR DETAIL SO WE CAN CLAY BAY THE EXTERIOR, BUFF, POLISH, AND WAX IT TO SEE IF OVERSPRAY COMES OFF

You can have whoever you were speaking to at corporate reach out to us directly now so we can see if they’d like to assist in the repairs."
Old 06-07-24, 03:44 PM
sawnzo1212
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a call from Megan the case manager from Lexus Corporate and she is telling me take the car back to Lexus of San Diego....

I politely relayed my concerns on why I don't trust my vehicle with them and that's why I brought it to Escondido in the first place, but she doesn't seem to care. She also said San Diego has to assess the vehicle themselves for them to make it right. Also, to add salt on the wound, she said they may or may not cover the diagnostic fees incurred from Lexus of Escondido. I'm pretty damn bummed about this entire experience. Is it too much to ask for an L certified vehicle that Lexus backs to not have bent rims and overspray addressed? I mean c'mon!!!
Old 06-07-24, 04:09 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

holy smokes, i agree this would leave a bad taste in my mouth going forward. so sorry to hear and i'm suprised lex corp were not of any further help.

i would try and push for at least corp to front the diag fee at esco. i'm sure lexus of SD will make it right under warranty but at the cost of further unpleasantries.
Old 06-07-24, 08:47 PM
Lead Lap

3 bent wheels? This was caused by the accident that probably required the respray. It takes quite a lot of force to do that. Makes you wonder if everything else is straight or just going down a rabbit hole.

And the ASB actuator should not buzz every time you brake. It happens once in a while, but not every time. Can you describe it again?
Old 06-07-24, 09:43 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
holy smokes, i agree this would leave a bad taste in my mouth going forward. so sorry to hear and i'm suprised lex corp were not of any further help.

i would try and push for at least corp to front the diag fee at esco. i'm sure lexus of SD will make it right under warranty but at the cost of further unpleasantries.
Yeah but I'd probably give in and move on because that sounds tiring making all those phone calls and waiting and so much aggravation.

Maybe it's a strategy to make people give up. Lol
Old 06-08-24, 12:12 AM
Orkboyz
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
3 bent wheels? This was caused by the accident that probably required the respray. It takes quite a lot of force to do that. Makes you wonder if everything else is straight or just going down a rabbit hole.
Three bent wheels makes me wonder if there is suspension damage and alignment issues. Sounds like someone maybe jumped a curb or made a habit of hitting deep potholes.

Last edited by Orkboyz; 06-08-24 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-08-24, 01:51 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Orkboyz
Three bent wheels makes me wonder if there is suspension damage and alignment issues. Sounds like someone maybe jumped a curb or made a habit of hitting deep potholes.
The OP should ask the dealership to disclose the damage before the repair.

Quick Reply: L certified CPO nightmare