Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Camry Still King of Sedan Sales....2025 Version will be All-Hybrid.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-24, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Toyota Camry Still King of Sedan Sales....2025 Version will be All-Hybrid.

Despite the pronounced shift in recent years to crossovers and SUVs, Toyota's ubiquitous Camry still maintains the title of best-selling sedan in the U.S....and, with the recent announcement of Subaru dropping the Legacy and Chevy dropping the Malibu (at least for the immediate future, although the Malibu may return in a few years in a different form), the Camry is likely to retain that title.

I liked the 2nd-Generation 1988-1991 Camry and (particularly), the excellent 3rd-Generation 1992-1996 Camry...which, IMHO, was, overall, the best Camry ever built. In one way or another, the subsequent Camrys have all gone downhill in some way from that superb 3Gen model, although the interiors have improved somewhat on some of the subsequent versions. In fairness, though, I'll wait for the upcoming 2025 version to make any more comments on its build quality.....perhaps (?) I'll like it more than the other post -1996 versions.

The Ford Taurus and Honda Accord, for several years, played musical-chairs with the Camry in terms of being the top selling American-market sedan. But the Taurus bit the dust several years ago, the Accord, although still selling well, just doesn't have the same excellent reputation any more than it once did (build-quality has dropped), and even the Ford Fusion, which carried on when the Taurus was dropped, is now gone.

The next-generation 2025 Camry will be produced, at least in the American market, only in Hybrid form. This, IMHO, makes a lot more sense for millions of people who either don't want a full-BEV, or don't have access to regular and reliable recharging outlets. I wish Buick would have the sense to do this with their models....GM, for some reason, has never been very big on hybrids, only offering a couple of models here and there.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...r/73362038007/

All-hybrid 2025 Toyota Camry takes America’s bestselling car to a new level

Mark Phelan
Detroit Free Press

SAN DIEGO — America’s bestselling car is in for some of its biggest changes ever when the 2025 Toyota Camry goes on sale late this spring.

The king of the midsize sedans now offers dramatic styling and an all-hybrid lineup. A fuel-efficient and engaging all-wheel drive system is available on all trim levels.

As it enters its ninth generation, the family car long derided as an appliance has developed a wild side.

The Camry competes with midsize sedans like the Chevrolet Malibu, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Nissan Altima and VW Passat.

Camry prices start at $28,400.

2025 Toyota Camry trim levels and prices

• LE FWD: $28,400
  • SE FWD: $30,700
  • XLE FWD: $33,400
  • XSE FWD: $$34,600
  • SE AWD: $32,225
  • SLE AWD: $34,925
  • XSE AWD: $36,125
Source: Toyota. Prices exclude $1,095 destination charge

Amazing fuel efficiency from all models

Toyota has been criticized for its slow rollout of electric vehicles, The shift to a 100% hybrid lineup is a landmark moment. The least fuel efficient version gets 43 mpg in mixed highway and city driving, according to EPA estimates. The most popular models rate 46 or 47 mpg in city/highway driving for front- or all-wheel drive models, respectively.

Hybrids accounted for 20% of the 290,649 Camrys Toyota sold in the U.S. last year. This move will have a big impact on fuel consumption, emissions, and owners’ fuel costs.

The Camry is the first vehicle to team the latest version of Toyota’s hybrid system — now in its fifth generation —with a 2.5L engine. That fifth-generation hybrid system is also used with a 2.0L engine in the current Prius, which won the 2024 North American Car of the Year award.

The front-wheel drive Camry develops 225 horsepower. The AWD’s total system output is 232 hp, thanks to an electric rear axle. That axle produces more than the seven-horsepower net difference, but the system’s controls monitors output from both sources to deliver smooth, manageable power.

A continuously variable automatic transmission is standard.

Driving impressions: This is a Camry?

From a distance, the 2025 Camry’s profile is familiar, but the closer you get, the more the new model departs from the comfortable formula. The nose adopts Toyota’s new "hammerhead" look, with a deep grille below a narrow line connecting slim LED headlights that wrap into the fenders. The hood is long and low, flowing into a fast windshield. The rear deck is short, despite the Camry’s accommodating 15.1-cubic-foot trunk. Sharp creases run along the doors and fenders. The aggressive yet practical design makes a strong bid to be the best-looking midsize sedan.

I drove a Camry AWD from Coronado Island in San Diego Bay through city streets, highway and twisting hillside roads inland to the border crossing at Tecate. I also drove a FWD Camry more briefly.

The AWD has a much sportier character, despite only offering seven more horsepower.

The steering is direct and responsive. SE and XSE models get unique shocks and a bigger stabilizer bar for improved handling and stability. Toyota developed a new brake system to improve pedal feel during regeneration.

Room, comfort and controls

The five-passenger interior is comfortable and quiet. There’s plenty of head, leg and shoulder room. Fabric and leather seats are available.

The top XSE and XSE models get a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and 12.3-inch touch screen. Lower trims make do with a 7-inch cluster and 8-inch touch screen.

The controls are easy to use and include Toyota’s digital assistant for connected navigation and other services. Push button start, wireless charging and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard

Available interior features include a 10-inch head-up display, heated and ventilated front seats and an app to use your phone as a key.

Safety and driver assist features

• Pre-collision alert and automatic braking
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Pedestrian, cyclist and motorcycle recognition
  • Blind spot and cross traffic alert
  • Front cross traffic alert
  • Lane departure alert and steering assist
  • Automatic headlights
  • Road sign assist
  • Lane centering
  • Traffic Jam Assist
  • Proactive driving assist
  • Front cross-traffic alert
  • Lane Change Assist
  • 360-degree parking view
  • Front and rear parking assist with auto

Why get one?

The Camry has been America’s bestselling car for 22 years and the end is nowhere in sight. The 2025 model delivers outstanding fuel economy and satisfying performance. Its dramatic new looks make the days when cynics compared the Camry’s looks to a loaf of Wonder bread seem very long ago indeed.

Roomy, comfortable, efficient and advanced, the 2025 Toyota Camry remains definitively the family sedan to beat.

2025 Toyota Camry at a glance

Midsize 5-seat sedan

Base price: $28,400, excluding $1,095 destination charge

Front- or all-wheel drive

Model tested: 2024 Toyota Camry XSE AWD

Price as tested: $41,125, excluding $1,095 destination charge

Powerplant: 2.5L turbocharged four-cylinder engine and permanent magnet synchronous electric motor

Total system power: 232 hp

Transmission: Continuously variable automatic

Fuel economy: 46 mpg city/46 highway/46 combined (manufacturer’s estimate). Regular gasoline.

Wheelbase: 111.2 inches

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-24 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-02-24, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

i think toyota did an awesome job with the camry... working with the existing platform.
Old 06-03-24, 06:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,702 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Not really a new model, to me the greenhouse really makes it look dated...but what they did update they updated well.
Old 06-03-24, 06:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

looks great, hopefully $2k increase in base model price (wasnt hybrid before) will not affect sales. Tacoma sales are really bad with new pricing.
Old 06-03-24, 07:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think toyota did an awesome job with the camry... working with the existing platform.
Originally Posted by spwolf
​​​​​​looks great, hopefully $2k increase in base model price (wasnt hybrid before) will not affect sales.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
but what they did update they updated well.
Agreed.....at least on the front end, which IMO is much better looking than before. Toyota has what IMO is a relatively recent history of butt-ugly front styling....reminds me of bulldogs.
Old 06-03-24, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
looks great, hopefully $2k increase in base model price (wasnt hybrid before) will not affect sales. Tacoma sales are really bad with new pricing.
Really? I wasn't ware of any issues selling the new Tacoma...
Old 06-03-24, 09:24 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Really? I wasn't ware of any issues selling the new Tacoma...
In one of the TRDJon vids, he went to pick up his new LC at ToyotaJeff's dealership. He showed $5k discounts on Tundras and $2k discounts on the new Tacomas, albeit on the work trucks or entry level models.
Old 06-03-24, 09:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

Not really a new model, to me the greenhouse really makes it look dated...but what they did update they updated well.
my biggest issue with the camry and most toyotas is the wheelbase is so short.
Old 06-03-24, 10:15 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Despite the pronounced shift in recent years to crossovers and SUVs, Toyota's ubiquitous Camry still maintains the title of best-selling sedan in the U.S....and, with the recent announcement of Subaru dropping the Legacy and Chevy dropping the Malibu (at least for the immediate future, although the Malibu may return in a few years in a different form), the Camry is likely to retain that title.

I liked the 2nd-Generation 1988-1991 Camry and (particularly), the excellent 3rd-Generation 1992-1996 Camry...which, IMHO, was, overall, the best Camry ever built. In one way or another, the subsequent Camrys have all gone downhill in some way from that superb 3Gen model, although the interiors have improved somewhat on some of the subsequent versions. In fairness, though, I'll wait for the upcoming 2025 version to make any more comments on its build quality.....perhaps (?) I'll like it more than the other post -1996 versions.

The Ford Taurus and Honda Accord, for several years, played musical-chairs with the Camry in terms of being the top selling American-market sedan. But the Taurus bit the dust several years ago, the Accord, although still selling well, just doesn't have the same excellent reputation any more than it once did (build-quality has dropped), and even the Ford Fusion, which carried on when the Taurus was dropped, is now gone.

The next-generation 2025 Camry will be produced, at least in the American market, only in Hybrid form. This, IMHO, makes a lot more sense for millions of people who either don't want a full-BEV, or don't have access to regular and reliable recharging outlets. I wish Buick would have the sense to do this with their models....GM, for some reason, has never been very big on hybrids, only offering a couple of models here and there.
In 1993, I purchased the 3rd gen Camry brand new.
Though I am too busy to find, let alone scan my old Kodak films.
I thought it had an ugly nose, but bland tail and bland interior.
However, it was capacious, and bigger than the 4th gen successor!
This 1st gen 3.0 V6 had little bottom end punch.
It ran on a tiny 103" wheelbase with a lot of pitching as a result, plus an ungainly front overhang.
It certainly used metal/resin/metal sandwich in the firewall and underbody.
After about 7 years, the cloth headlining debonded, probably due to local assembly.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-03-24 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-03-24, 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^ I still see them on the road every day in my area......they are some 30 years old now.
Old 06-03-24, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see Gen 3 Camrys very much in our area anymore. Certainly not every day.
Old 06-03-24, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see Gen 3 Camrys very much in our area anymore. Certainly not every day.
Yeah, they are not left over necessarily in huge numbers, but enough of them are still on the road in my area (Fairfax County) that I see one or two of them almost every day. A former friend of mine had one that she kept for over 25 years....and she didn't know much about maintenance, except what I told her now and then.

I don't know this to be a fact (I've seen references both ways on it, both yes and no), but (supposedly) the 3rd-Gen Camry was originally designed to be a Lexus, then management decided to re-market it as a Toyota, with a more plain interior/exterior trim befitting a Toyota. Lexus, of course, got its own ES300 done on the same platform.
Old 06-03-24, 12:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well if there's one in the immediate area that you keep seeing over and over, it's possible to see it frequently.....
Old 06-03-24, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well if there's one in the immediate area that you keep seeing over and over, it's possible to see it frequently.....
Thats what I think is happening to mmarshall
Old 06-03-24, 12:08 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't see many 3rd gens anymore, but still see plenty of 4th gens, now with Classic Rod license plates which makes me wanna vomit.

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry Still King of Sedan Sales....2025 Version will be All-Hybrid.