Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 - Blown Away

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-24, 07:40 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 - Blown Away

I always knew that the GT cars from Porsche were amazing driver's machines. I had my first take on a 718 GT4 recently and I have to say I was blown away. Out of all the cars I've reviewed up until now, there's nothing that even comes close to it in regards to driver engagement. This is not a convenience or tech laden vehicle, it's pure driving pleasure. Curious to know if any of you have driven it and your thoughts on the dynamics and experience. You can check out my review below:
https://youtu.be/3REV34egnbo?si=D5Io9bnMuCkgZplw
Old 06-03-24, 08:16 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 335 Likes on 212 Posts

P cars are just something different. My mom is on her second 981 and even though it's a base PDK, it handles so well and drives so smooth.
Old 06-03-24, 04:12 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

i drove a 718 cayman S (4-cyl ) at porsche experience a few years back and though it is the complete opposite of a gt4, the driver-focused traits still abound!
Old 06-03-24, 06:25 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

porsches are the real deal! the macan aside of course there's basically nothing else like them

the 991 carrera s remains one of my more memorable driving experiences to date, when that flat 6 starts revving out past 7k it's absolutely glorious and the front end just darts in like it's on rails... although i'm used to heavy autobahn cruisers lol so i could be easily tricked into thinking a car is "nimble"
Old 06-03-24, 11:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

My favorite Porsche right now is the GT4/GT4 RS. I’ve never driven one but I just love them because they are different and you don’t see them much. I’ve heard they drive incredibly well, almost like a go cart because they are small.
Old 06-04-24, 04:45 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Enjoyed your review, well done!! I have a bit of exposure to these cars. GT4's really are great cars on the road, the track and especially at autocross! Among others I have two close friends with GT4's one a manual and one a PDK. Both are a joy to drive, fast enough and the midengine set up really allows you to control where you are going while having a blast along the way!

So with that in mind why did a buy a GTS 4.0? I mean it's the same engine that puts out the same torque so did I just give up a few RPM at the top end and about 20hp?

Well no the GTS gives up more than that which is probably why you enjoyed the GT4 so much! For one thing the GT4 is 30mm lower than standard vs the GTS is 20mm lower. For street drive-ability that's a big difference for comfort and ease of not scrapping. In addition the GT4 front suspension is totally different from the GTS. The GT4 has the front suspension from the 991.2 GT3 with helper springs and all!! Pretty amazing upgrade. There's always exceptions but in my experience most GT4 owners are typically autox/track use first with occasional street driving. Us GTS drivers are mostly street driving with occasional autox/track use.

I myself have had the GTS for 18 months. It has 8,500 miles, 14 autocrosses and 2 track days under it's belt and I've enormously enjoyed all of it! . Having said that the GT4, like all Porsche GT cars, is very special to behold. Thanks again for sharing your review!

Gratuitous photo of my car

Old 06-04-24, 05:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

gorgeous car and photo!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-24, 06:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Great shots Larry!
Old 06-04-24, 08:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I have not driven a 718 GT4 but I’m sure its amazing.
Sadly Porsche no longer makes them.
Old 06-05-24, 03:55 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gorgeous car and photo!!!!!!!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Allen K
Great shots Larry!
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I have not driven a 718 GT4 but I’m sure its amazing.
Sadly Porsche no longer makes them.
Yes, only GTS and GT4RS are available for now and that's ending very soon too. No one knows for sure what the next gen GT4 Cayman will be, but I'm staying positive.
Old 06-05-24, 07:35 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
Yes, only GTS and GT4RS are available for now and that's ending very soon too. No one knows for sure what the next gen GT4 Cayman will be, but I'm staying positive.
Porsche stated new Boxster/Cayman will be EV only.
They might continue to sell the old ICE version like they are doing with Macan.

I’m sad to see Porsche go this direction - the new 911 update doesn’t give me much confidence.
Old 06-08-24, 04:45 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
Enjoyed your review, well done!! I have a bit of exposure to these cars. GT4's really are great cars on the road, the track and especially at autocross! Among others I have two close friends with GT4's one a manual and one a PDK. Both are a joy to drive, fast enough and the midengine set up really allows you to control where you are going while having a blast along the way!

So with that in mind why did a buy a GTS 4.0? I mean it's the same engine that puts out the same torque so did I just give up a few RPM at the top end and about 20hp?

Well no the GTS gives up more than that which is probably why you enjoyed the GT4 so much! For one thing the GT4 is 30mm lower than standard vs the GTS is 20mm lower. For street drive-ability that's a big difference for comfort and ease of not scrapping. In addition the GT4 front suspension is totally different from the GTS. The GT4 has the front suspension from the 991.2 GT3 with helper springs and all!! Pretty amazing upgrade. There's always exceptions but in my experience most GT4 owners are typically autox/track use first with occasional street driving. Us GTS drivers are mostly street driving with occasional autox/track use.

I myself have had the GTS for 18 months. It has 8,500 miles, 14 autocrosses and 2 track days under it's belt and I've enormously enjoyed all of it! . Having said that the GT4, like all Porsche GT cars, is very special to behold. Thanks again for sharing your review!

Gratuitous photo of my car

Wow your friend's Frozen Berry GT4 is gorgeous! You don't get to see that many of them in that color. Matt Farah has a bored out Speedster, which apparently is bonkers! I'd imagine your GTS must also be a blast to drive, and I can definitely understand how it would be more of a daily driver than the GT4.

As much as I am a Lexus fan, there's nothing like a Porsche from a dynamics perspective. I can see myself owning one in the next few years. I'm still quite flabbergasted by the driving experience of the GT4. I can only imagine how insane the GT4 RS, GT3 or even GT3 RS must be. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity of reviewing one in the near future. I might be able to get my hands on a 992 911 Turbo S soon, which I can only imagine is a rocket ship with good handling.

Nevertheless, thanks for watching and stay tuned - hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on other Porsche's in the future....