Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota cheats - again

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-24 | 09:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah, meanwhile the Germans sandbag everything they possibly can.
335 hp/332 lb-ft in my B58....yeah right, maybe at the wheels.
Old 06-06-24 | 06:50 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
335 hp/332 lb-ft in my B58....yeah right, maybe at the wheels.
Exactly lol! There is always this strange 20-50hp gap between stated and measured HP with their engines....

I guess their HP ratings are in Death Valley or a mile elevation, my theory is the number they give is the minimum amount in the worst possible conditions.
Old 06-06-24 | 08:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Exactly lol! There is always this strange 20-50hp gap between stated and measured HP with their engines....

I guess their HP ratings are in Death Valley or a mile elevation, my theory is the number they give is the minimum amount in the worst possible conditions.
Under promise, over deliver.
Old 06-06-24 | 08:51 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
Under promise, over deliver.
That's actually a policy I live by.
Old 06-06-24 | 02:26 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Part of it is the engine, the other is transmission tuning. German MF's tune their transmissions to be far faster (especially off the line and with launch control) than other brands which allow them to achieve pretty wild 0-60 times using even turbo 4-bangers. Lexus meanwhile has always had relatively sluggish transmissions regardless of vehicle, including their F cars. Even with turbocharging, new Toyota and Lexus vehicles are still slow off the line.
Old 06-06-24 | 03:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
Part of it is the engine, the other is transmission tuning. German MF's tune their transmissions to be far faster (especially off the line and with launch control) than other brands which allow them to achieve pretty wild 0-60 times using even turbo 4-bangers. Lexus meanwhile has always had relatively sluggish transmissions regardless of vehicle, including their F cars. Even with turbocharging, new Toyota and Lexus vehicles are still slow off the line.
It's not tuning, it's physical design. The ZF8 and the DSGs are simply superior to anything Lexus ever made
Old 06-06-24 | 03:38 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

It's not tuning, it's physical design. The ZF8 and the DSGs are simply superior to anything Lexus ever made
It's tuning. The ZF8 is considerably less responsive in JLR and Stellantis products compared to the Germans. Even BMW's tuning of the Aisin transmissions in their FWD cars is faster than Toyota's application.
Old 06-06-24 | 03:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It's tuning. The ZF8 is considerably less responsive in JLR and Stellantis products compared to the Germans. Even BMW's tuning of the Aisin transmissions in their FWD cars is faster than Toyota's application.
No you are totally wrong, the ZF8 has a superior internal power flow and clutch/friction shift time. The Toyota transmissions physically can't shift as fast or have as little operating drag as them.

Tuning is only one part of it and the CLEAREST example of that fact is that any ZF8 can be tuned to DSG levels and Aisin boxes straight up can't. I own two tuned ZF8s and a "tuned" AA80E and there is just no comparison.

Plus the fact is that in full on comfort mode the ZF shifts much smoother on the 2-3 and 8-4 shift vs any other trans I've driven. The Lexus rival always has some shift bump because of the physical gear set
Old 06-06-24 | 03:55 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

No you are totally wrong, the ZF8 has a superior internal power flow and clutch/friction shift time. The Toyota transmissions physically can't shift as fast or have as little operating drag as them.

Tuning is only one part of it and the CLEAREST example of that fact is that any ZF8 can be tuned to DSG levels and Aisin boxes straight up can't. I own two tuned ZF8s and a "tuned" AA80E and there is just no comparison.

Plus the fact is that in full on comfort mode the ZF shifts much smoother on the 2-3 and 8-4 shift vs any other trans I've driven. The Lexus rival always has some shift bump because of the physical gear set
The ZF8 is a more capable transmission but that's not what I'm talking about. It is a fact that the Germans tune all their transmissions far more aggressively than other brands like Lexus or Land Rover. That's how they were able to pull a 4.6s 0-60 using an Aisin transmission on a 3800 pound 4-cylinder crossover.
Old 06-06-24 | 04:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The ZF8 is a more capable transmission but that's not what I'm talking about. It is a fact that the Germans tune all their transmissions far more aggressively than other brands like Lexus or Land Rover. That's how they were able to pull a 4.6s 0-60 using an Aisin transmission on a 3800 pound 4-cylinder crossover.
Land Rover has normal ZF8 tuning in the real SUVs, mid 4 sec 0-60s in the full size after all.....when in sport mode and glass smooth in comfort.

Jag also has some of the most aggressive ZF tunes I've ever felt for the XKR/XJR in sport mode so I have no idea what you are talking about that they have lax tuning. They have ultra smooth and ultra fast depending on what you are doing unlike Lexus/aisin etc

There is a reason so so so many brands use ZF
Old 06-06-24 | 04:15 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Land Rover has normal ZF8 tuning in the real SUVs, mid 4 sec 0-60s in the full size after all.....
The compact Range Rover Velar has two more cylinders than that X2, a ZF8, and yet has an almost 6 second 0-60. That's a second slower than a much heavier X7 with the same amount of cylinders and same ZF transmission.
Old 06-07-24 | 09:14 AM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Default Rats are abandoning the ship

This is probably the strongest indication that things at Toyota are going from bad to worse. Japan's largest banks are getting out of Toyota stock. While Toyota had a blowout previous fiscal year, global sales in this fiscal year are falling, 9% in April and 4% in May. The "battleship Toyota" starts looking more and more like "battleship Yamato" every day.

The reasons are pretty obvious. Lack of competitive BEVs which are essential for success in China and Europe. Three consecutive cheating scandals (1 x emissions, 2 x safety).

Not to mention that Toyota has a massive amount of debt, bigger than any other automotive company in the world.

https://autos.yahoo.com/japanese-ban...141200416.html

Old 06-07-24 | 09:51 AM
GS3Tek

Let's get back to the topic of Toyota safety scandal.
Old 06-07-24 | 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by katekebo
Lack of competitive BEVs which are essential for success in China and Europe.
Can't use that as an excuse. BEVs just aren't a feasible option for many buyers and potential buyers.....they live in condos/apartments, and/or don't have easy-access to recharging outlets. For them, hybrids are the most sensible option....and Toyota does offer a number of hybrids, across the globe.

Three consecutive cheating scandals (1 x emissions, 2 x safety).
There was a discussion about this in another recent thread. The more heavily that auto manufacturers are regulated, especially to extreme or unreasonable levels, and the more demands are placed upon them, the more likely you are going to see either cheating or looking for ways to find loopholes. That is the case, not just with with Toyota (or VW with Dieselgate), but with virtually any automaker.

Not to mention that Toyota has a massive amount of debt, bigger than any other automotive company in the world.
Of course they are going to have a lot of debt. They are the world's largest automaker. More business means more bills to pay......the world doesn't revolve around free-lunches.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-07-24 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-07-24 | 10:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The compact Range Rover Velar has two more cylinders than that X2, a ZF8, and yet has an almost 6 second 0-60. That's a second slower than a much heavier X7 with the same amount of cylinders and same ZF transmission.
Do you really expect a ford to keep up with a bmw in the engine department? Be honest now lol!

Quick Reply: Toyota cheats - again