Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota cheats - again

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-24, 12:30 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey now, that Range Rover Velar is very much post-Ford.
Old 06-09-24, 12:45 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Hey now, that Range Rover Velar is very much post-Ford.
It's totally a ford lol!
Old 06-09-24, 05:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's totally a ford lol!
It is absolutely not. The AJ126 V6 in the Velar is a Jaguar AJ133 V8 with two cylinders lopped off. The AJ-V8 was developed prior to Ford's purchase of JLR, and development has continued. Even under Ford's ownership, they were built in a dedicated factory staffed by Jaguar workers. The current one is Gen III, and it is built in Wolverhampton.
Old 06-09-24, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Toyota as a company is just nothing like they once were. No longer driven by a desire to build the best car and do it right where shame of failure or mistake was so personal to their leaders and workers. Really a shame.

Toyota of old, people would kill themselves over this kind of shame...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't use that as an excuse. BEVs just aren't a feasible option for many buyers and potential buyers.....they live in condos/apartments, and/or don't have easy-access to recharging outlets. For them, hybrids are the most sensible option....and Toyota does offer a number of hybrids, across the globe.
All their offerings don't have to be EVs, but they are woefully behind in the EV field and it was a huge blunder on their part. EVs are a growing and growing segment and like it or not will become dominant, and Toyota sitting on the sidelines there is a big mistake.

I see a lot of Toyota/Lexus EVs around despite how poor an offering they are which shows you there is a lot of demand there,

There was a discussion about this in another recent thread. The more heavily that auto manufacturers are regulated, especially to extreme or unreasonable levels, and the more demands are placed upon them, the more likely you are going to see either cheating or looking for ways to find loopholes. That is the case, not just with with Toyota (or VW with Dieselgate), but with virtually any automaker.
Except that isn't the case, carmakers are able to meet these regulations, Toyota just wanted to do it the cheap and easy way and that was to cheat and be dishonest. They absolutely can meet these regulations it just takes money to do so.

You don't blame the law when people break it. You don't blame the test when people cheat. Thats letting cheaters off the hook.

Of course they are going to have a lot of debt. They are the world's largest automaker. More business means more bills to pay......the world doesn't revolve around free-lunches.
This again makes no sense. Debt in a large company is not a bad thing necessarily, but its also not a good thing. When you have to pay your bills with debt, thats bad...unless you are using that capital to invest in something that will drive revenue and allow you to repay the debt and pay more bills.

Just like a person or a family, companies don't use debt to pay their operating expenses unless there is an issue.

It's totally a ford lol!
Not true on any level.
Old 06-09-24, 10:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Toyota as a company is just nothing like they once were. No longer driven by a desire to build the best car and do it right where shame of failure or mistake was so personal to their leaders and workers. Really a shame.

Toyota of old, people would kill themselves over this kind of shame...

All their offerings don't have to be EVs, but they are woefully behind in the EV field and it was a huge blunder on their part. EVs are a growing and growing segment and like it or not will become dominant, and Toyota sitting on the sidelines there is a big mistake.

I see a lot of Toyota/Lexus EVs around despite how poor an offering they are which shows you there is a lot of demand there,

Except that isn't the case, carmakers are able to meet these regulations, Toyota just wanted to do it the cheap and easy way and that was to cheat and be dishonest. They absolutely can meet these regulations it just takes money to do so.

You don't blame the law when people break it. You don't blame the test when people cheat. Thats letting cheaters off the hook.

This again makes no sense. Debt in a large company is not a bad thing necessarily, but its also not a good thing. When you have to pay your bills with debt, thats bad...unless you are using that capital to invest in something that will drive revenue and allow you to repay the debt and pay more bills.

Just like a person or a family, companies don't use debt to pay their operating expenses unless there is an issue.

Not true on any level.
Absolutely, spot on. This is 100 percent not the Toyota I bought from in 1995. They never made the fastest, or the most powerful cars, what they built and sold was high quality, with engines and transmissions that lasted decades. They were decently efficient as well, for the times. But times have changed, Toyota hasn't. Their engine designs haven't changed much in 20 years, and overall there is nothing remotely exciting about any Toyota today. But I think their biggest mistake (which is now showing cracks) is a miscalculation they made back in 2016, when they made a bet on certain technologies. They lost that bet big time, COVID hit and they ended up locking themselves out of a huge market. Since then, they have spent a lot on marketing to convince people they offer "the best of both worlds", but this and other cheating scandals are just exposing the crack in the windshield, which is just going to get bigger over time
Old 06-09-24, 11:04 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
It is absolutely not. The AJ126 V6 in the Velar is a Jaguar AJ133 V8 with two cylinders lopped off. The AJ-V8 was developed prior to Ford's purchase of JLR, and development has continued. Even under Ford's ownership, they were built in a dedicated factory staffed by Jaguar workers. The current one is Gen III, and it is built in Wolverhampton.
Isnt the base engine the ford 2.0? I know the evoke is just an escape that's been worked over a bit, again not sure since I only pay attention to the top models as the lesser ones are of zero interest to me
Old 06-09-24, 11:09 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The Velar that was tested wasn't using the old V6 either, it's the new Ingenium I6 that came out in 2019. There isn't a lick of Ford in that car. Ironically it would be faster if it was a Ford.
Old 06-09-24, 12:55 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

The latest generation of LR products has completely moved on from Ford as I understand it.
Old 06-09-24, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

It's totally a ford lol!
funny, you were praising factory supercharged ford mustang gt offering in another thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post11732409
Old 06-09-24, 01:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
funny, you were praising factory supercharged ford mustang gt offering in another thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...l#post11732409
Yeah because it's not a 2.0 4 cyl engine.

I like the rover V8 quite a lot since it's based on the ford modular and comes with a super by default. Half the parts on one are stamped ford after all.....

If you get a rover buy a full Range Rover or an SV, the top velar is fine but you almost never see them and most of them are base models. I also strongly dislike the supercharged AJ6 since it's peak lazy and half assed to use a blanked off V8 block and not even cut the block smaller. It also has many issues the V8 simply doesn't have like the balance shaft. Mostly though because anything that has that engine could have had the V8 instead
Old 06-09-24, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you get a rover buy a full Range Rover or an SV, the top velar is fine but you almost never see them and most of them are base models. I also strongly dislike the supercharged AJ6 since it's peak lazy and half assed to use a blanked off V8 block and not even cut the block smaller. It also has many issues the V8 simply doesn't have like the balance shaft. Mostly though because anything that has that engine could have had the V8 instead
Youre aware very few people can afford what you say they should buy right?

Few people who buy a Velar choose to do that over buying a full RR or an SV lol.

Not everybody has limitless money.
Old 06-09-24, 02:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Youre aware very few people can afford what you say they should buy right?

Few people who buy a Velar choose to do that over buying a full RR or an SV lol.

Not everybody has limitless money.
Oh yeah I'm very aware, that's why the cheaper models exist but that those lower prices it's oftentimes better to get a more mainstream brand.

You yourself said as much when it comes to the entry level cars from Mercedes that mainstream brands for the same money offer a better overall product

Thats all I'm getting at, if you are spending money get the best thing you can not something for the badge
Old 06-09-24, 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah I'm very aware, that's why the cheaper models exist but that those lower prices it's oftentimes better to get a more mainstream brand.

You yourself said as much when it comes to the entry level cars from Mercedes that mainstream brands for the same money offer a better overall product

Thats all I'm getting at, if you are spending money get the best thing you can not something for the badge
I wouldn’t consider the Velar such a vehicle. The Evoque maybe. The Velar is a nice vehicle.

The only Mercedes I feel that way about are the FWD models
Old 06-09-24, 03:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I wouldn’t consider the Velar such a vehicle. The Evoque maybe. The Velar is a nice vehicle.

The only Mercedes I feel that way about are the FWD models
The C class isn't all that exceptional unless you get a top version as well
Old 06-09-24, 03:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The C class isn't all that exceptional unless you get a top version as well
Its still a proper RWD sedan that can’t be replicated in a mainstream vehicle.

Quick Reply: Toyota cheats - again