Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rolls Royce reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-24 | 09:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
A Rolls could be as reliable as an LS400, but the cost of fixing almost any major issue would probably cost as much as a new LS400 lol.

On a more serious note, the final Vickers-era platform Bentleys like the Arnage and Brooklands in their later model years have been reportedly fairly robust and reliable at higher mileages (the early model years suffered from head gasket and camshaft issues), though mechanically they are much simpler cars than the current lineup which are much more heavily based on VW components. If you work on cars yourself and can afford the heavy gas bill it might be a worthy investment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3FIHAFnfTo
Ever worked on one? I have and it's extremely complicated to source parts and tools from overseas, normally the process is get the car in, check it, then send it home while you wait for the rental tools from GB.

They are very nice though and stunningly fast and lux even for the age.
Old 06-10-24 | 11:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
There is a world of difference from otherwise identical CNC mills depending on who runs them.
if they're fed the same input file, the results will be the same. obviously if different, then not.

Hand made is an advantage if the process benefits from a person doing steps vs machines. If not then use a jig to do it
example of process? i'm in favor of people for thorough QA checks though.
Old 06-10-24 | 11:50 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Striker223
Ever worked on one? I have and it's extremely complicated to source parts and tools from overseas, normally the process is get the car in, check it, then send it home while you wait for the rental tools from GB.

They are very nice though and stunningly fast and lux even for the age.
I’m looking at getting a 2018+ phantom. Anything I should be on the lookout for? What typically goes wrong with them? Thx.
Old 06-10-24 | 11:59 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tdes395
I’m looking at getting a 2018+ phantom. Anything I should be on the lookout for? What typically goes wrong with them? Thx.
There are severe risks doing this.

Once a person gets a taste for fancy cars like a Rolls Royce, they are ruined forever.

No going back to "ordinary people" cars because the bar is raised too high and you won't be happy with them! 🧐
Old 06-10-24 | 12:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if they're fed the same input file, the results will be the same. obviously if different, then not.

example of process? i'm in favor of people for thorough QA checks though.
And who do you think makes the input files and more importantly makes the fixtures and sets them up? It's very very much dependent on the people running the machines

Process meaning how the finished product is assembled or linked to other parts, for guns a human manually performing fit will always beat machines for example. For interiors humans do the best inlay/wood finish and leather work. Same with paintwork, on the engine side of things a very careful human will look over everything for quality when they put it together and in the case of race engines confirm all machine tolerances and weights.

Obviously this all costs more. QA checks are a part of any process and at the high end EVERY single end result is checked by a person vs batch testing or laser measurement. The R8 is a great example of cars that have everything hand inspected for panel uniformity and my W12 is another for interior wood bookmatching and exterior paint/panels.

Your LC500 is also manually inspected in the same areas for the same reasons

Last edited by Striker223; 06-10-24 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-10-24 | 12:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
There are severe risks doing this.

Once a person gets a taste for fancy cars like a Rolls Royce, they are ruined forever.

No going back to "ordinary people" cars because the bar is raised too high and you won't be happy with them! 🧐
Amen. It's really bad, I drive my Jeep from time to time to readjust back to normal cars.
Old 06-10-24 | 12:36 PM
Lead Lap

I thought you were getting Toyota to build your AI generated renderings?
Old 06-10-24 | 12:54 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 703
I thought you were getting Toyota to build your AI generated renderings?
🤣🤣🤣🤣. Too funny!!
one would think, given my past posts. 🤣
Old 06-11-24 | 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you have to ask about reliability and cost of maintenance you can't afford a car like that. Thats just the truth, these are cars for people who just have limitless money to where the cost of anything doesn't really matter.
Old 06-11-24 | 09:21 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you have to ask about reliability and cost of maintenance you can't afford a car like that. Thats just the truth, these are cars for people who just have limitless money to where the cost of anything doesn't really matter.
I can afford it. I understand maintenance is naturally higher and I’m okay with that. But if it’s an unreliable problem car, a headache, like many bentleys’s then I refuse to give any company like that my money.
Old 06-11-24 | 09:30 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I can afford it. I understand maintenance is naturally higher and I’m okay with that. But if it’s an unreliable problem car, a headache, like many bentleys’s then I refuse to give any company like that my money.
Unless someone intends to buy it new and only keep it until the warranty expires, I'd make sure someone local can work on it.

I don't know how special these cars are but I wouldn't trust just anyone to work on it, it could end up being a hack job. Lol

I have no idea really, only speculating.
Old 06-11-24 | 10:51 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Margate330
Unless someone intends to buy it new and only keep it until the warranty expires, I'd make sure someone local can work on it.

I don't know how special these cars are but I wouldn't trust just anyone to work on it, it could end up being a hack job. Lol

I have no idea really, only speculating.
100% correct.
Old 06-11-24 | 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then get it. IMO if you are worried about this its just not a car for you. These aren't cars that are designed to be driven daily etc, you're going to be beholden to the dealership and I would imagine service there is not quick and easy, it will be away for weeks for any sort of repair. Even if I had limitless money, its never a car I would buy unless it was a part of a group of cars that I owed and its not something I would ever daily drive.

I don't believe Bentleys have a reputation for being unreliable or a headache, but a Phantom is more exotic than a Bentley and you're going to be even more limited as to where you can service it and get support etc. Given your complaints about the concept that the Lexus LS460 requires some repairs that are a little complex this is way over your head IMO.

A car like a Phantom is like owning a boat, or a plane...its not transportation lol
Old 06-11-24 | 11:07 AM
2GRXFTW
Driver

I agree, anyone who owns a Rolls doesn't ask about reliability. To them, so what if it breaks or needs worn parts replaced? 15 grand for suspension parts? Okay, here's a check. (well, not anymore... more like here's my debit card lol)
​​​​​
Old 06-11-24 | 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s like a Ferrari or any other exotic car. If reliability and maintenance cost and timing are a concern it’s not for you.

Put it this way, if what I just went through with the 8 days 24 hours labor and $3,000 in parts to replace the valve cover gaskets on my S Class sounds off putting…this ain’t for you lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-11-24 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Rolls Royce reliable?