Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 BMW M4 Competition RWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-24, 09:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,682 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I really like Aventurin Red. I think it would look better with silver wheels, though. Maybe I just don't want anyone stepping on my "red with black wheels" toes, maybe not.

Is there a lot of turbo lag? I've heard mixed reviews when it comes to that aspect.
I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but having driven his previous M440i and another friends M3 Competition, none that was significant. From a dig you can feel it wants to spin the wheels, but it has really good nannies that keep you from ending up in a ditch
Old 06-17-24, 10:51 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Not a fan of the new G8x cars at all.

Still hate the pig nose.
The cars are much heavier and less direct than the F8x.
I drove new M3 at length and was not impressed.
Its more of an M5 - comfortable, lots of power but less engaging. While the ZF auto is great and much smoother in traffic, it can’t compete with DCT for excitement or timing on the downshifts.
The F8x cars are much more raw and more challenging to drive. The G8x are much
better for going fast in straight line and for daily driving.

Relative to the 440i - i’m sure its great improvement from handling perspective as the M has much wider tires and more sophisticated suspension setup.
Old 06-17-24, 10:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Still hate the pig nose.
Its more of an M5 - comfortable, lots of power but less engaging. While the ZF auto is great and much smoother in traffic, it can’t compete with DCT for excitement or timing on the downshifts.

Relative to the 440i - i’m sure its great improvement from handling perspective as the M has much wider tires and more sophisticated suspension setup.
He doesn't track his cars, this is for his daily commute. It's perfect for him. He would absolutely hate the DCT
Old 06-17-24, 10:57 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll admit it, the looks have grown on me.
Old 06-17-24, 10:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Still hate the pig nose.

I have a friend who has both an IS 500 and an M3 Comp. He says the M3 Comp is the best-driving car he has driven. So I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Now, for me, when I hear "M car", I think agile, engaging, maybe a little wild at the limit, and capable. Do the new M cars do that? I would love to find out. But, based on the BMWs I have driven, I don't expect the "engaging" part to be the high point. Typically, the steering and feel through the front end is the Achilles' heel of the BMWs I've been in, despite near-perfect drivetrain calibration.
Old 06-17-24, 11:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I have a friend who has both an IS 500 and an M3 Comp. He says the M3 Comp is the best-driving car he has driven. So I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Now, for me, when I hear "M car", I think agile, engaging, maybe a little wild at the limit, and capable. Do the new M cars do that? I would love to find out. But, based on the BMWs I have driven, I don't expect the "engaging" part to be the high point. Typically, the steering and feel through the front end is the Achilles' heel of the BMWs I've been in, despite near-perfect drivetrain calibration.
You just described basically all new cars . Savagegeese just reviewed the M4 Comp, and they said the same thing you said, the car is fast, confident, but practically drives for you. I have a co-worker that has a 1990's M5 with a 6 speed, and it's fun to drive, but it will 1) kill you on wet roads and 2) you literally feel everything. To me, that gets old pretty quick. It's fun to take it out on the weekends, but I wouldn't want to daily drive it, which is why he only drives it to the office every few months
Old 06-17-24, 11:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I had the new M3 Comp in Sport + and Trans in most aggressive setting. The car also had Mperformance exhaust. I could not believe how it drove. Again its more M5 in feel than what M3 used to be.
The F8x was a very raw car and not easy to manage even compared to E9x M3. It was lighter and more direct. It’s just not an easy car to drive on a daily commute. The new M3/4 feels like a very fast and capable car that is easy to drive really fast and you don’t have to work for it. An old grandma can get in and drive it. I think younger folks prefer easy comfortable power and straight line speed. F8x cars will spin into 3rd gear and very hard to launch from a dig.
Old 06-17-24, 11:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You just described basically all new cars . Savagegeese just reviewed the M4 Comp, and they said the same thing you said, the car is fast, confident, but practically drives for you. I have a co-worker that has a 1990's M5 with a 6 speed, and it's fun to drive, but it will 1) kill you on wet roads and 2) you literally feel everything. To me, that gets old pretty quick. It's fun to take it out on the weekends, but I wouldn't want to daily drive it, which is why he only drives it to the office every few months
Again M used to stand for something but those days are long gone. They drove really different than non M cars. Back then they were all manual only. Albert Biermann went all out on F8x cars and really tried to get back to Motorsport connection with proper cooling and CF components. He left M when they dropped DCT for the new generation cars.

People now just buy it for status and branding.
Its like folks that get a new GT3 and complain its too noisy and uncomfortable.
Same happened with F8x cars - DCT was too jerky, ride is too stiff etc then buy a regular 3 series!
Old 06-17-24, 11:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My wife has an X3, and her last car was a 2021 330i M Sport. The 330i has some of the worst steering ever. It was weirdly calibrated. Sometimes it seemed a little heavy or reluctant on-center, but other times it wanted to dart. I never feel like I fully grasped where the car was going to go based on my inputs. Did it ruin the car? No, but it certainly made it tough for me to get confident driving it on twisty roads.

Good steering can exist in newer cars. My 2020 Jetta GLI's steering was fantastic. It was somewhat light, but it was both natural and also quick off-center without being darty. Truly the saving grace of that car. It was fun in the twisties.

The X3 is better than the 330i, if only because it behaves like I would expect it to. It's very light, but it isn't over-boosted and is precise. There's not much feel, but I find it easier to control than our 330i was.

And hey, you're not wrong. Most cars now have pretty vague/numb steering. But, there are levels to it. I drove a 991.1 Carrera 4 last year, a car that was often criticized for its inclusion of EPAS. However, by modern standards, the steering is pretty darned good. I actually had some semblance of steering feel while retaining the immediacy and precision of EPAS.
Old 06-17-24, 11:56 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I do wish I'd experienced the sportiness of BMW's past. This 540i can still be fun on curvy mountain roads, but I'll admit it's no E46 M3.

The beaver teeth of the G8X cars has grown on me, but I still prefer the older grilles.
Old 06-17-24, 11:58 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

The F8x cars are much more raw and more challenging to drive
This is true, but also perhaps the first time I've heard "difficult to drive" as a ringing endorsement of a street car. But it is this way because the F30 that the F80 was based on had the worst chassis and suspension setup (from a performance perspective) of any 3 series in history. Even in 335i guise, the poor suspension meant major traction issues. M division had a lot of work to do, and they accomplished quite the miracle delivering a competent car at all, given the canvas they started with. But the end result was still a car that is less effective at getting its power to the pavement than either its predecessor or successor.

I haven't driven many RWD street cars that can deliver tractable mid-corner power as well or better than the G8x. And those that can, tend to have the engine at the other end of the car.
Old 06-17-24, 12:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's a lot more than that. The ECU must be unlocked by Femto in Finland and the base software (BM3, MHD, etc) installed by them. That costs around $1000 plus international shipping ($300 or so) just for the unlock. Or Euro Performance Center has monthly trips where they hand-deliver a pile of customer ECUs to have them unlocked. That service plus a BM3 OTS tune (which is how I'd probably go) will run $2,400. If you want a custom tune, choose your turner and add ~$1000.

@AMIRZA786 congrats to your friend! I know he will enjoy. Aventurin Red is a fun but classy color.
Fair point, I keep thinking in terms of VAG sorry lol! Our tunes are stupid cheap
Old 06-17-24, 01:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geko29
This is true, but also perhaps the first time I've heard "difficult to drive" as a ringing endorsement of a street car. But it is this way because the F30 that the F80 was based on had the worst chassis and suspension setup (from a performance perspective) of any 3 series in history. Even in 335i guise, the poor suspension meant major traction issues. M division had a lot of work to do, and they accomplished quite the miracle delivering a competent car at all, given the canvas they started with. But the end result was still a car that is less effective at getting its power to the pavement than either its predecessor or successor.

I haven't driven many RWD street cars that can deliver tractable mid-corner power as well or better than the G8x. And those that can, tend to have the engine at the other end of the car.
“Difficult to drive” - I want to drive the car and have a learning curve doing it. I don’t want a car that makes it easy and anyone can do it, it also doesn’t feel as special/engaging.

There is nothing wrong with suspension setup of F8x cars, its more a case of the low rpm torque which doesn’t allow for them to put the power down well. The CS cars and later Comp models had less aggressive torque curve at lower RPMs but you still have to be able to manage it. The new G8x is idiot proof, just mash the throttle and computer does all the work. Its fast but boring for ppl that want additional engagement, which is a minority.

Take a DCT F8x on a back road and bang through the gears, do some aggressive downshifts. The character of the car is just different but it’s not as good for daily commute.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-17-24 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-17-24, 01:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

“Difficult to drive” - I want to drive the car and have a learning curve doing it. I don’t want a car that makes it easy and anyone can do it, it also doesn’t feel as special/engaging.

There is nothing wrong with suspension setup of F8x cars, its more a case of the low rpm torque which doesn’t allow for them to put the power down well. The CS cars and later Comp models had less aggressive torque curve at lower RPMs but you still have to be able to manage it. The new G8x is idiot proof, just mash the throttle and computer does all the work. Its fast but not boring for ppl that want additional engagement.
That's the car I want. Idiot proof, doesn't beat me up, doesn't make me work to get around a curve, and doesn't make me have to take ibuprofen when I get home, just mash the pedal and get me to work and back home. Life is already tough enough, thank you
Old 06-17-24, 02:20 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

I prefer cars that act as something I wear to so speak....I don't want to fight with it to get it to move how I want it to. I want to be able to take a turn following the curb at 55 mph throttle pinned the whole time and not care.....

Thats why I went with Audi

Quick Reply: 2024 BMW M4 Competition RWD