Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 BMW M4 Competition RWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-24, 09:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
The car is bananas fast once the RPMs soar past 3,000 rpm, and is way more agile than it should be for its size.

It's more car than many can handle, and with his version being RWD like mine, it can be a handful. I got the 10-stage traction control as well, which is also a drift analyzer. But I don't care about that part. I love the fact that I can dial in the exact amount of slip I want depending on the situation, which provides another level of excitement.

The track is the best way to truly experience what the engineers have created, then you can really feel the refinement and capability of the chassis.

The lifeless steering is my biggest issue, though the turn-in is crisp and sharp. Aftermarket monoballs and a steering tune add some feel and life back into the steering, so I've been told (I don't have that mod), though I'm sure it will never feel like an old hydraulic system. Those days are long gone for most high-performance vehicles. If one wants that level of granularity, just by a car from generations past.
Yeah, I drove another friends M3 Competition AWD, and it's awesome 👍. If I were to ever go back to gasoline cars, either M3 or M4 competition! Can't wait to drive this this one. I've really come to respect BMW's, it used to be a brand I was afraid to get near.

Next year I'll be replacing my Polestar with a Model 3 Performance, we're planning a canyon run together, his engine should be broken in by then!
Old 06-18-24, 06:47 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I have owned 3 BMWs, all M cars...the last 3 generations.

First, I owned a 2015 F82 in 2016. It was beautiful, fast and capable...but I didn't like the peakiness of the delivery of the power, and I hated the way it sounded when just driving around. It only sounded good to me when I was really pushing it. And I had a full aftermarket exhaust. I would have kept it like 2 to 3 years (which is short for me, I tend to marry cars for 8+ years), but someone offered me a ton of money for mine so I sold it after 10 months. Didn't miss it.

Then I bought a 2013 M3 in 2017 with the V8. Fell in love with the sound of that engine, and the feel of the car...and the fact that it was comfortable enough to take on long trips, which I have done plenty of. Still own my E93, it has 150,000 miles, and I still love driving it. I prefer the power delivery and the sound of the E9X generation, but I do understand the allure of the F82, which is much faster and much more capable.

I bought a brand new 2021 M4 in 2021, my first new car ever, and I ordered it. And I really like it. And mine is RWD, so it can get outta hand real quick if you're not careful and have the Traction Control off. I certainly miss the drama of the DCT, and it's definitely a large, heavy coupe. And like the M5, it's a bit isolated. And the piped-in sound is annoying. But it's wayyyy more efficient than my E93's V8. And the power delivery is more linear than the F82's.

Plus, I mod and code all my BMWs. With my coding and mods, the car is now more raw (at the press of an M button), quieter with the interior sound coded off, and quite comfortable when I'm running errands. And at this size, it's amazingly nimble on all but the narrowest B roads. And the chassis is really good, with crisp turn-in and loads of grip. The steering is my biggest issue, with no feel. My E93 steering is much better...heavier with more feel, though still not perfect.

I drive both my E93 and G82 all the time as it's the only 2 cars I own, and I truly enjoy them both, for different reasons. No F8X or G8X will ever sound as good as an E9X.

These will be my last BMWs, and I've enjoyed my time with them...especially the 2 I currently now. I'm ready for a purpose-built sports car. Saving now, and hoping the market remains strong
I owned 2 F80s - both from new.
1st one was base 2016 car and 2nd one is 2018 Comp which i still have.
The Competition cars and especially the CS improved on the torque delivery but you still will not be able to launch smoothly.

I agree the sound is the one main weakness of this car. I have AA midpipe and also valve controller which really helps.

My M3 is a weekend car but like i said before the G8x cars are better for daily use and are really what the M5 used to be.

I was looking to get manual E92 for awhile but could never find the right spec, ultimately I ordered Mustang Mach 1 for the V8 manual. The E92 is a great car though and i had E92 335i back in the day with N54 motor.

The only new BMW M car I’m interested in is the M2 and curious to see what they do with M2cs. They finally rolled out bunch of cool colors for it for 2025MY.
Old 06-19-24, 01:42 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sounds like you should get an original dodge viper. very powerful, raw, and pretty lethal.
there's a difference between 'car that actively wants to kill you' vs 'car that demands respect and skill' that you're not acknowledging here, he's not saying bad car = good car lol

my E-class for instance was originally sold with quite literally too much power (which is an awesome thing for a major manufacturer to do) and it takes a decent amount of practice to optimize the launch... you also can pull off these crazy skids that look smooth and controlled but only if you've spent the time necessary to truly be in harmony with the throttle

when you can learn where the danger is and how to routinely access it without going past the limit it's much more fulfilling, with an original viper you NEVER know where the danger is lol... that goes beyond dopamine to pure fight or flight response
Old 06-19-24, 06:17 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

So I’ve driven an E55 amg like you mentioned and I believe it was a 1st gen Viper and the E55 amg felt a lot faster. I was impressed!!
Old 06-23-24, 04:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Finally got to take out my friends M4 Competition and put it through the ringer

What I really love about this car:

It's just beautiful
Roomy, comfortable, adjustable front seats that really bolster you
Smooth, instant power on demand, smooth engine and smooth shifting 8 speed transmission
Nice Vroom sound when you start it
Comfortable, adaptable suspension
It's smooth at 30 mph, it's smooth at 100 mph
"M" Performance button when you need it
Reels you in when you try something stupid

What I didn't really like about this car:

The shifter is just stupid and confusing trying to be unique
Screen was not very intuitive and needs some time to learn it
Artificial engine noise being piped into the cabin, didn't know how to turn it off
Backseats double as a torture chamber, not sure if adults could fit back there

Overall, I love the way this car drives and delivers power. The engine has a nice sound to it when going hard on the throttle, although from a stop there is some hesitation as the car is trying to keep the wheels from breaking lose, but once the turbo spools up, the power is just amazing. I always felt I had as much power on tap as I needed.

We didn't pit it against the Polestar because there is still 900 miles to go before the 1200 mile break in period. I feel confident that 0 to 80 the Polestar would win that round, as from a stop TC is doing everything it can to keep the rear from breaking lose, plus the power doesn't fully kick in until the turbo is spooled up, but it would be a different story doing a 30mph or 50 mph rolling start or a brake boost start. Nonetheless, I would never underestimate this car.

As I mentioned earlier, now that I've driven this car, I can say that it is one of my top favorites. If I ever for whatever reason went back to ICE, this would be on my list

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-23-24 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-23-24, 06:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the review and its pretty much what the new Ms are about - easily accessible power and enough comfort to be daily driver.

Obviously this is subjective but the pig nose front is more grotesque to me now than when it first came out. I see this one is LCI which has the cheap headlights - BMW got rid of the Laser lights with the halos now you just get these weird LED ones. I do like the new taillights from the CSL.

The dumb lcd screen and awful M gauges ruin the interior.
Why don’t they at least program some heritage gauges like the Mustang does for us old folk lol

Unless you need AWD - the M2 would be my choice.
Old 06-23-24, 09:58 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
What I really love about this car:

It's just beautiful
Roomy, comfortable, adjustable front seats that really bolster you
Smooth, instant power on demand, smooth engine and smooth shifting 8 speed transmission
Nice Vroom sound when you start it
Comfortable, adaptable suspension
It's smooth at 30 mph, it's smooth at 100 mph
"M" Performance button when you need it
Reels you in when you try something stupid
And it's smooth at 140 mph too.

The BMW engineers nailed the chassis in this gen, the car has loads of grip, and with the RWD, you always feel like the car is ready to break a bit of traction when you hammer it. I really like that, I love the drama.

What I didn't really like about this car:

The shifter is just stupid and confusing trying to be unique
Screen was not very intuitive and needs some time to learn it
Artificial engine noise being piped into the cabin, didn't know how to turn it off
Backseats double as a torture chamber, not sure if adults could fit back there
What don't you like about the shifter? I find it to be a normal, late-model BMW shifter...which, to me, is a good size and has a decent feel.

I have Idrive7, which lasted in this generation for the 2021 and 2022 model years. 2023 introduced Idrive 8, and I think 2024 has the 8.5. Idrive7 is a bit more intuitive and still has buttons for the HVAC and favorites, which I prefer. And I like the cockpit feel more of the Idrive7 layout.

And you can code in the artificial engine noise out, thank GOODNESS. Inside the car, it's much quieter with it coded off. So then we enthusiasts do exhaust, intake and/or valve mods to add in more sound...the natural tone of the intake and exhaust. The natural noise sounds much better...

...but still no match for my E93's V8.

As for the backseat, I've had adults in mine, admittedly women and teens so they tend to be shorter. Anyone under like 5'10 will fit for short trips, and I've never had a complaint. The most challenging part is getting in and out of the backseat. The wheelbase of the M4 is a bit stretched, so it's actually a decent back seat for a fastback coupe. Wayyyy better than the upmarket M8, which can only fit a child or car seat.

Overall, I love the way this car drives and delivers power. The engine has a nice sound to it when going hard on the throttle, although from a stop there is some hesitation as the car is trying to keep the wheels from breaking lose, but once the turbo spools up, the power is just amazing. I always felt I had as much power on tap as I needed.

As I mentioned earlier, now that I've driven this car, I can say that it is one of my top favorites. If I ever for whatever reason went back to ICE, this would be on my list
Wait until after the break-in miles, as you ain't felt nothing yet. The car is certainly fast, almost too much so for the street. It's an underrated power plant, as many BMW engines are.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Thanks for the review and its pretty much what the new Ms are about - easily accessible power and enough comfort to be daily driver.
Uh, every M car has been about accessible power with enough comfort to be a daily driver... .....special edition models excluded of course. Same formula for the 6th gen M3, it's just bigger and heavier now, which isn't surprising since most cars are bigger and heavier now.

The dumb lcd screen and awful M gauges ruin the interior.
Why don’t they at least program some heritage gauges like the Mustang does for us old folk lol
100% agree. One of my biggest complaints about the latest BMW models is the non-traditional gauges with angled lines everywhere. I really miss the traditional, round gauges. And I too wish BMW would at least give us the option of having round gauges like the Mustang does. Such a missed opportunity.

Luckily the HUD solves most of this, as that's what I look at...plus I have an aftermarket steering wheel with shift lights, so now I never need to look at the gauges, thank goodness.

78,000 miles on my RWD 2021, and not a single issue, just regular maintenance. Well done, BMW.

Old 06-23-24, 10:05 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Nice review @AMIRZA786 .

Sounds like this car is a winner!
Old 06-23-24, 10:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The BMW engineers nailed the chassis in this gen, the car has loads of grip, and with the RWD, you always feel like the car is ready to break a bit of traction when you hammer it. I really like that, I love the drama.

What don't you like about the shifter? I find it to be a normal, late-model BMW shifter...which, to me, is a good size and has a decent feel.

I have Idrive7, which lasted in this generation for the 2021 and 2022 model years. 2023 introduced Idrive 8, and I think 2024 has the 8.5. Idrive7 is a bit more intuitive and still has buttons for the HVAC and favorites, which I prefer. And I like the cockpit feel more of the Idrive7 layout.

And you can code in the artificial engine noise out, thank GOODNESS. Inside the car, it's much quieter with it coded off. So then we enthusiasts do exhaust, intake and/or valve mods to add in more sound...the natural tone of the intake and exhaust. The natural noise sounds much better...

As for the backseat, I've had adults in mine, admittedly women and teens so they tend to be shorter. Anyone under like 5'10 will fit for short trips, and I've never had a complaint. The most challenging part is getting in and out of the backseat. The wheelbase of the M4 is a bit stretched, so it's actually a decent back seat for a fastback coupe. Wayyyy better than the upmarket M8, which can only fit a child or car seat.

Wait until after the break-in miles, as you ain't felt nothing yet. The car is certainly fast, almost too much so for the street. It's an underrated power plant, as many BMW engines are.

Uh, every M car has been about accessible power with enough comfort to be a daily driver... .....special edition models excluded of course. Same formula for the 6th gen M3, it's just bigger and heavier now, which isn't surprising since most cars are bigger and heavier now.

100% agree. One of my biggest complaints about the latest BMW models is the non-traditional gauges with angled lines everywhere. I really miss the traditional, round gauges. And I too wish BMW would at least give us the option of having round gauges like the Mustang does. Such a missed opportunity.

Luckily the HUD solves most of this, as that's what I look at...plus I have an aftermarket steering wheel with shift lights, so now I never need to look at the gauges, thank goodness.

78,000 miles on my RWD 2021, and not a single issue, just regular maintenance. Well done, BMW.
Hey @KevinGS . You have to understand, I've never owned a BMW, so I had to get used to the shifter. It took me a few tries to figure out how to get it in R and D. Kind of like how Mac does the opposite of Windows...it used to drive me crazy that Windows had a button to eject the CD, while Mac you had to drag it to the recycle bin....lol 😆. As far as the backseat, I probably should have climbed back there before making a conclusion. I made my assessment based on what I saw visually. Looked cramped from my POV.

Overall this car definitely has enough power to get one in lots of trouble 😜. I can see people picking races with the owner... although he would never race anyone, he doesn't have that type of personality. Me on the other hand........🤣
Old 06-23-24, 10:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Nice review @AMIRZA786 .

Sounds like this car is a winner!
Thanks 👍. Great car, way, way out of my budget
Old 06-24-24, 03:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

The exhaust button on the center console turns Active Sound Design (ASD) on and off. Unfortunately, there are two versions of ASD--inside and outside--and it controls both of them together. So when off, the exhaust valves stay mostly closed (even in Sport or Sport+), and there are no burbles.

Fortunately, it's pretty easy to code out, either temporarily (meaning a software update will bring it back and you'll have to code again) by disabling individual parts of the features; or permanently (meaning it only comes back if you or the dealer restore the activation code) by removing it from the Vehicle Order (VO) entirely. I used the first method, and am quite happy.

With the internal version of ASD disabled, the exhaust button does only what most of us would expect it to do--makes the actual exhaust louder or quieter.
Old 06-24-24, 06:34 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey @KevinGS . You have to understand, I've never owned a BMW, so I had to get used to the shifter. It took me a few tries to figure out how to get it in R and D. Kind of like how Mac does the opposite of Windows...it used to drive me crazy that Windows had a button to eject the CD, while Mac you had to drag it to the recycle bin....lol 😆. As far as the backseat, I probably should have climbed back there before making a conclusion. I made my assessment based on what I saw visually. Looked cramped from my POV.

Overall this car definitely has enough power to get one in lots of trouble 😜. I can see people picking races with the owner... although he would never race anyone, he doesn't have that type of personality. Me on the other hand........🤣
Ah, OK, makes sense, Amirza, about the shifter. As a new BMW driver, I could see how it can be a bit awkward initially. LOL at the windows vs Mac comparison...I'm strictly a Windows guy, and when I have to use a Mac, I always get frustrated rather quickly....so I can totally relate.

And oh yes, there's plenty of power to get in a whole heap of trouble...as you quickly approach "go straight to jail" speeds on public roads if you keep your foot planted too long. But it's a load of fun on lonely country roads, or on a track.

And I drive mine all the time, run errands in it and such...and it's a nice place to be. Fairly efficient, and can be quite serene if you turn off the exhaust (not a lot of road noise). And though the ride is always sports-car firm, it's tolerable. And at the press of a button, all hell breaks loose, sometimes literally ...I love it's Jekyll and Hyde nature.
Old 06-24-24, 08:57 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Beautiful color combo, and a really nice car.

Totally agree on the gauges - BMW used to have great gauges. They should code an option like the Mustang did.
Old 06-24-24, 09:42 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

This is the exact color combo my friend has, it’s a great color for this car.
Old 06-24-24, 09:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Ah, OK, makes sense, Amirza, about the shifter. As a new BMW driver, I could see how it can be a bit awkward initially. LOL at the windows vs Mac comparison...I'm strictly a Windows guy, and when I have to use a Mac, I always get frustrated rather quickly....so I can totally relate.

And oh yes, there's plenty of power to get in a whole heap of trouble...as you quickly approach "go straight to jail" speeds on public roads if you keep your foot planted too long. But it's a load of fun on lonely country roads, or on a track.

And I drive mine all the time, run errands in it and such...and it's a nice place to be. Fairly efficient, and can be quite serene if you turn off the exhaust (not a lot of road noise). And though the ride is always sports-car firm, it's tolerable. And at the press of a button, all hell breaks loose, sometimes literally ...I love it's Jekyll and Hyde nature.
I'm not a mac guy either, so I felt like BMW was taking the mac route with the shifter . But it's not a big deal, I figured it out quickly, and it's for sure not a deal breaker. I honestly have grown to have so much respect for BMW, I've now driven the M3 Competition, M440i, and now the M4 Comp and understand the hype. It's one of the best all around drivers cars. If I had the extra disposable income, this would be a weekend car on my list

Quick Reply: 2024 BMW M4 Competition RWD