Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 BMW M4 Competition RWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-24, 09:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm not a mac guy either, so I felt like BMW was taking the mac route with the shifter . But it's not a big deal, I figured it out quickly, and it's for sure not a deal breaker. I honestly have grown to have so much respect for BMW, I've now driven the M3 Competition, M440i, and now the M4 Comp and understand the hype. It's one of the best all around drivers cars. If I had the extra disposable income, this would be a weekend car on my list
Try an M5C next, or the ultimate weekend car…..a 911Ts
Old 06-24-24, 10:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,265 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I also don't have the room. I have four cars parked in the backyard and one in the driveway at any given time. I would have to kick out one or two of my kids. Hmmm....🤔
Old 06-24-24, 10:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
M5C is an absolute missile, but is even further down the path of being a monster daily rather than a weekend car. A friend of mine has one and loves it (and has tracked it a number of times), but has decided it's ultimately bigger than he wants.

I also don't have the room. I have four cars parked in the backyard and one in the driveway at any given time. I would have to kick out one or two of my kids. Hmmm....🤔
I think you found your solution.
Old 06-24-24, 10:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
M5C is an absolute missile, but is even further down the path of being a monster daily rather than a weekend car. A friend of mine has one and loves it (and has tracked it a number of times), but has decided it's ultimately bigger than he wants.

Well I can tell you one thing, it would save me a bundle. The son just got into UC Berkeley. So I'm struggling....education, or weekend car. I'm betting the M5C might be the cheaper option 🤣
Old 06-24-24, 10:27 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Well I can tell you one thing, it would save me a bundle. The son just got into UC Berkeley. So I'm struggling....education, or weekend car, can't have both 🤣
Lol, I feel you. Mine is targeting MIT and I'm kinda hoping he gets in, but also kinda hoping not.

I do remember 10+ years ago one of my coworkers had one kid at Notre Dame and another at Northwestern. He described it to me thusly: "Every year, I go buy a brand new BMW 7 series. Fully loaded V12, with every option. Then I push it off a cliff."
Old 06-24-24, 10:32 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, an M5 is an executive missile meant to be used regularly, not as a weekend, fun car....unless it's a specialized M5 like an M5 CS. And even one of those with its 4 seats is ripe to be used for regular transport.

And a 911 Turbo is another super fast missile that is built to be used regularly, not really as a weekend toy....though it can be.

I'd prefer to have a 911 GT3 as a weekend toy.

A lot of people treat M cars as special, weekend cars...I never have. Hec, I know a few people who only drive them to Cars and Coffee and back, and never in the winter...so they average 3,000 miles or less per year. Not me. All my M's have been used daily. But I'm fortunate because I'm not concerned at all about trade-in values. I use all cars like appliances....I use them up fully and replace them. They have never been investments. If I can't afford the depreciation, I keep saving. If I'm fortunate enough to get a GT3 which is what I want next, it's going to at least accrue 15,000 miles annually, if not more...though I won't take it to the grocery store and cleaners too often like I do my M cars. But rest assured, my GT3 would run a few occasional errands as well.
Old 06-24-24, 10:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Lol, I feel you. Mine is targeting MIT and I'm kinda hoping he gets in, but also kinda hoping not.

I do remember 10+ years ago one of my coworkers had one kid at Notre Dame and another at Northwestern. He described it to me thusly: "Every year, I go buy a brand new BMW 7 series. Fully loaded V12, with every option. Then I push it off a cliff."
I'm hoping that this investment will pay off. We (my two brother and two sisters) took care of our parents until their last breath, and I'm hoping our daughter (graduated UC Irvine last year) and son will do the same for us. Fingers crossed
Old 06-24-24, 07:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I had to include the M5 since it's such a good all round car lol! Reasonable size as well
Old 06-24-24, 09:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Yes, an M5 is an executive missile meant to be used regularly, not as a weekend, fun car....unless it's a specialized M5 like an M5 CS. And even one of those with its 4 seats is ripe to be used for regular transport.

And a 911 Turbo is another super fast missile that is built to be used regularly, not really as a weekend toy....though it can be.

I'd prefer to have a 911 GT3 as a weekend toy.

A lot of people treat M cars as special, weekend cars...I never have. Hec, I know a few people who only drive them to Cars and Coffee and back, and never in the winter...so they average 3,000 miles or less per year. Not me. All my M's have been used daily. But I'm fortunate because I'm not concerned at all about trade-in values. I use all cars like appliances....I use them up fully and replace them. They have never been investments. If I can't afford the depreciation, I keep saving. If I'm fortunate enough to get a GT3 which is what I want next, it's going to at least accrue 15,000 miles annually, if not more...though I won't take it to the grocery store and cleaners too often like I do my M cars. But rest assured, my GT3 would run a few occasional errands as well.
I have to take your advice lol
My weekend cars are not driven much and only when it’s nice weather.

The M3 has just crossed 8,500 miles in 6 1/2 years.
I was driving my 911 more often when i had the chance.
My wife and daughter hate driving in the M3 which also doesn’t help.

Btw if you plan to drive your future GT3 regularly think twice about getting one with the bucket seats. Its ok at first but gets old really fast. The getting out part is the issue, no smooth way to do it.
Old 06-24-24, 09:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Well I can tell you one thing, it would save me a bundle. The son just got into UC Berkeley. So I'm struggling....education, or weekend car. I'm betting the M5C might be the cheaper option 🤣
I still have some time before i have to worry about this cost but I don’t think these big name schools really make much of a difference especially if you are looking to start your own business/practice. The college tuition scheme is just way out of control and it’s not fair to have 18 year olds make these important financial decisions that can negatively effect them for years.
Old 06-24-24, 09:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I still have some time before i have to worry about this cost but I don’t think these big name schools really make much of a difference especially if you are looking to start your own business/practice. The college tuition scheme is just way out of control and it’s not fair to have 18 year olds make these important financial decisions that can negatively effect them for years.
He's studying medicine, and Berkeley is one of the best for pre-med. Luckily, he won't be going there for four years. He graduated a year early from HS, and did his first two years in community college, so he's entering as a sophomore. If he plays his cards right, he'll graduate in two years.

I agree with you, college tuition is out of control. Normally I would encourage him to just go to California State, but he worked really hard to get into Berkeley. And he'll only be in only half the debt of a four year student. His real debt will be when he gets into med school