Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rolls-Royce Wraith - Not Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-24, 05:09 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Thanks for all your feedback. Many of you are absolutely correct - even though I said I was not impressed, it still delivered on its intentions of being a smooth, quite and a serene experience. I did say lots of positive things about it - at the end of the day, it's a RR. This isn't something for me though. And yes, as some of you had said, it's very expensive when new, given that a lot of the components do come from BMW (7 Series mostly). When I do say unimpressed, I'm referring to the value you get for the price and the badge that comes along with it - I would just expect more from a Rolls-Royce. And yes, I do understand that a large number of the RR customer base isn't looking at value - they have I don't give a f!@# money.

@RNM GS3 I'm very curious to see how the Bentley Conti drives for the exact same reason - its driver focused feel. Let's not forget, the latest gen Conti shares the PDK and chassis from the Panamera.
Old 06-18-24, 05:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

LOL, there is no "value". There is no way to substantiate what a Rolls Royce costs. Its not about that, so if you go into expecting "value for money" you will always be disappointed.

Reviewing a RR from a perspective of value is like reviewing an F150 pickup from a perspective of track performance or a 911 GT3RS from the perspective of hauling ability. Makes no sense and is of no value.
Old 06-18-24, 05:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
LOL, there is no "value". There is no way to substantiate what a Rolls Royce costs. Its not about that, so if you go into expecting "value for money" you will always be disappointed.

Reviewing a RR from a perspective of value is like reviewing an F150 pickup from a perspective of track performance or a 911 GT3RS from the perspective of hauling ability. Makes no sense and is of no value.
and you think i'm direct, haha... but right on point.
Old 06-18-24, 06:44 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9

@RNM GS3 I'm very curious to see how the Bentley Conti drives for the exact same reason - its driver focused feel. Let's not forget, the latest gen Conti shares the PDK and chassis from the Panamera.
The Bentley drives like a big boat and you sit on top of it.
Its opposite of cars that i like which are more sport oriented.

I was just cruising in it and had zero desire to drive aggressively. The exhaust has nice V8 rumble and suspension is super compliant.

Really liked the interior.

Old 06-18-24, 06:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Oh BTW the Bentley - which is brand new- was in the shop for 2 weeks as the top was not working and still needs some new part to fix damaged piece 😂

Very important to have multiple Bentleys or RRs bec one will be in the shop.
The service folks said RR was more reliable….
Old 06-18-24, 08:11 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Thanks for all your feedback. Many of you are absolutely correct - even though I said I was not impressed, it still delivered on its intentions of being a smooth, quite and a serene experience. I did say lots of positive things about it - at the end of the day, it's a RR. This isn't something for me though. And yes, as some of you had said, it's very expensive when new, given that a lot of the components do come from BMW (7 Series mostly). When I do say unimpressed, I'm referring to the value you get for the price and the badge that comes along with it - I would just expect more from a Rolls-Royce. And yes, I do understand that a large number of the RR customer base isn't looking at value - they have I don't give a f!@# money.

You're getting called out because of your clickbait thread title, which is obviously intended to drive views to your video, and then when you watch the actual video it doesn't really support the clickbait thread title at all. And that fills me with rage, because your clickbait title worked .
Old 06-18-24, 12:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The Bentley drives like a big boat and you sit on top of it.
Its opposite of cars that i like which are more sport oriented.

I was just cruising in it and had zero desire to drive aggressively. The exhaust has nice V8 rumble and suspension is super compliant.

Well duh, you are in a convertible non-speed version.
Old 06-18-24, 01:13 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Well duh, you are in a convertible non-speed version.
What? Lol
This is a V8 S model which is the sportiest.
The Speed has a V12 and while its faster in straighline, it’s heavier and doesn’t handle as well.
Old 06-18-24, 01:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

What? Lol
This is a V8 S model which is the sportiest.
The Speed has a V12 and while its faster in straighline, it’s heavier and doesn’t handle as well.
The V8 isn't the sportiest at all

The convertible is a wet noodle with half the torsional strength and an odd seating position

They don't use V12s

I've driven every version and the W12 Speed has no equal for handling, the V8 is just eh and a cope engine choice. Go try a W12 speed and actually drive it, you can easily drift it if desired and it remains always in control.

The V8s is like comparing my 4.0 non-sport to my W12, there is not comparison. The handing difference is massive to the tune of I can follow the curb at 55 into my subdivision in the W12 and the 4.0 pushes out at 39-42 and has a heavy nose and turn in.

Again try a speed. It's totally different than what you felt

Last edited by Striker223; 06-18-24 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-18-24, 02:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Dynamically a heavier W12 that is ALL up front is never going to feel sportier than the lighter version that puts out pretty much same power.

The coupe in V8 or W12 guise will be sportier but its still 5,000lbs and not meant for canyon carving. Its a cruiser that can gobble up miles, go fast in ultimate luxury.

The seating position is not conducive to sporty driving as you sit up very high and seats are like a couch.
Old 06-18-24, 08:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Dynamically a heavier W12 that is ALL up front is never going to feel sportier than the lighter version that puts out pretty much same power.

The coupe in V8 or W12 guise will be sportier but its still 5,000lbs and not meant for canyon carving. Its a cruiser that can gobble up miles, go fast in ultimate luxury.

The seating position is not conducive to sporty driving as you sit up very high and seats are like a couch.
You clearly have never felt the 12 if you think it's "pretty much the same power" lol! It canyon carves hard enough to run down a McLaren with ease btw.....

It's night and day between the V8 and W12 and the convertible vs fixed roofs.
Old 06-19-24, 10:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
You clearly have never felt the 12 if you think it's "pretty much the same power" lol! It canyon carves hard enough to run down a McLaren with ease btw.....

It's night and day between the V8 and W12 and the convertible vs fixed roofs.
LOL - This is wild post.

Ok sure you win, can’t wait to go on the canyons in my 5,000lb land yacht with seats that don’t have any support. What are those McLarens thinking with their light weight and carbon tubs.
Old 06-19-24, 01:34 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
You're getting called out because of your clickbait thread title, which is obviously intended to drive views to your video, and then when you watch the actual video it doesn't really support the clickbait thread title at all. And that fills me with rage, because your clickbait title worked .
Clickbait was not my intention at all. I did say in the video that the RR would not be my choice at all (if I could afford one). The title of this thread was meant to elaborate on my personal opinion of the car. It does deliver on its intent of a quiet, serene and effortless driving experience - but I was still not impressed with the overall package given its amazing luxury. I'm not saying that it wasn't good enough for me - it's just NOT FOR ME. Also, given the fact that you're paying close to half a million when new, it still uses components from BMW, which is a disappointment. Many of you will probably destroy me for this, but I recently sat inside and played around with the Lotus Eletre, and that sparked my interest more than the RR Wraith in regards to design, ergonomics and materials
Old 06-19-24, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

One of the things you learn as a reviewer is that a review is different from an opinion piece. When you review something you're supposed to review it through the eyes of its target consumer instead od through your own eyes.
Old 06-20-24, 05:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,647 Posts

pimptastic.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
One of the things you learn as a reviewer is that a review is different from an opinion piece. When you review something you're supposed to review it through the eyes of its target consumer instead od through your own eyes.
absolutely, although biases and preferences always creep through (thinking of doug demuro, alex on autos or whatever his new channel is called). even savagegeese (mark) is clearly bored with anything that doesn't seem 'new' and different. he loathes suv's lol.

Quick Reply: Rolls-Royce Wraith - Not Impressed