Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to launch V8 supercar with up to 600bhp

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-24, 07:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero
The Artura isn't selling bc it has a V6 that doesn't sound great compared to the V8 750s plus the Artura has been riddled with reliability issues.

Ferrari at least made the 296 sound good
Every McLaren has issues.
296 is selling well bec Ferrari owners MUST buy them.

I went to my local Ferrari dealer and they had 10 of them collecting dust. They were 2nd hand with couple hundred miles. If dealer offers you the car and you refuse, Ferrari will not offer you another car. It’s all a game but Ferrari can do that, while McLaren can’t.

They had so many Romas there, i couldn’t count all of them lol.

Not a fan of the new Ferrari design language.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-18-24 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-18-24, 08:06 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I don’t mind hybrids for daily commuters like RAV4, Prius etc.
But on performance cars, they are used to meet dumb regulations while adding performance by eliminating turbo lag or flattening torque curve. It’s just unnecessary as these cars are WAY more capable than any non pro driver will be able to push them especially on the street.

The use of the battery is different on performance cars compared to a Prius so nobody knows the life span especially if people drive their cars hard which a Prius driver will never do.

BTW McLaren Artura is another hybrid that is collecting dust while 750S is sold out for next 2 years…..
I think the hybrid of choice will end up being the Revuelto with its' 12 cylinder joy factor.
720S is hot now because it sits in the newest/fastest category for the guys stuck in the endless pissing contest. There was an open top one at a cars and coffee I went to this past Sunday, it is a crazy machine.
Artura is underpowered relative to the 296, even though it costs less, who cares as the guy who can have the Artura can have a 296.
Old 06-18-24, 08:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Hybrids do offer the advantage of torque fill. It's also nice to have flexibility to drive on full electric in the rare occasion when there's a gas shortage. For example, after a hurricane, sometimes there's a fuel shortage --- having the flexibility to drive on pure electric is better than not being able to drive at all. Vice versa, if there's a power outage for whatever reason, you can use gas to get around (assuming the pumps still work).
Bigger engine and turbos. A 6.0+ class engine doesn't need "TQ fill" lol!
Old 06-18-24, 11:08 PM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Every McLaren has issues.
296 is selling well bec Ferrari owners MUST buy them.

I went to my local Ferrari dealer and they had 10 of them collecting dust. They were 2nd hand with couple hundred miles. If dealer offers you the car and you refuse, Ferrari will not offer you another car. It’s all a game but Ferrari can do that, while McLaren can’t.

They had so many Romas there, i couldn’t count all of them lol.

Not a fan of the new Ferrari design language.
As a McLaren owner myself, not all McLarens have debilitating issues - that's grossly exaggerated by YouTubers and from people who don't own McLarens. They do all have little software gremlins yes but not usually things requiring a dealer visit - just simply turning the car on and off. The Artura specifically had issues from being a new hybrid and they paused production to get it sorted --- hopefully it's better now but reputational damage is done.

I agree that Ferrari can sell cars just by the games that they make customers play but it's also true that the 296 is an actually fun car to drive unlike the Roma and every other modern turbo Ferrari. I would say the 296 is the best car Ferrari has made since the 458. The only people who dislike it are those that get hung up on it being a hybrid or a v6 vs actually having driven it.

The larger point I'm making is that a performance car can be hybrid (or not) but the underlying driving experience and engine also have to be fun and engaging (and the design as well). One of the issues with the NSX for example is that the underlying V6 sounds mehhh and the interior looks straight out of a Honda Accord. That's not going to sell that well regardless of hybridization or not. Compare that to the Revuelto hybrid and the underlying car is a freaking NA V12 that sounds amazing with an incredible design and it's no wonder Lamborghini has a 3 year waitlist on it. People aren't buying these cars bc of hybridization or not. It's whether or not the total package is good or not.

Last edited by autozero; 06-18-24 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-18-24, 11:11 PM
autozero
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Striker223
Bigger engine and turbos. A 6.0+ class engine doesn't need "TQ fill" lol!
Torque fill is helpful regardless of displacement / power bc it gives immediate torque at any rpm (akin to the same effect you get from a fully electric car). Non-hybrid motors take time to build power whether boosted or not
Old 06-18-24, 11:48 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

As a McLaren owner myself, not all McLarens have debilitating issues - that's grossly exaggerated by YouTubers and from people who don't own McLarens. They do all have little software gremlins yes but not usually things requiring a dealer visit - just simply turning the car on and off. The Artura specifically had issues from being a new hybrid and they paused production to get it sorted --- hopefully it's better now but reputational damage is done.

I agree that Ferrari can sell cars just by the games that they make customers play but it's also true that the 296 is an actually fun car to drive unlike the Roma and every other modern turbo Ferrari. I would say the 296 is the best car Ferrari has made since the 458. The only people who dislike it are those that get hung up on it being a hybrid or a v6 vs actually having driven it.

The larger point I'm making is that a performance car can be hybrid (or not) but the underlying driving experience and engine also have to be fun and engaging (and the design as well). One of the issues with the NSX for example is that the underlying V6 sounds mehhh and the interior looks straight out of a Honda Accord. That's not going to sell that well regardless of hybridization or not. Compare that to the Revuelto hybrid and the underlying car is a freaking NA V12 that sounds amazing with an incredible design and it's no wonder Lamborghini has a 3 year waitlist on it. People aren't buying these cars bc of hybridization or not. It's whether or not the total package is good or not.
nailed it. It’s the sum of parts and not one particular part that makes up the experience. You only need to visit the EV forum to see myopic views centered on the “E” but not the “V”.
Old 06-19-24, 02:06 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Torque fill is helpful regardless of displacement / power bc it gives immediate torque at any rpm (akin to the same effect you get from a fully electric car). Non-hybrid motors take time to build power whether boosted or not
No they don't, you have 600+ TQ off converter stall
Old 06-19-24, 02:20 AM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
No they don't, you have 600+ TQ off converter stall
it still takes time to build up torque even at less than a second - a second is a lot in a sports car considering 3-4 second 0-60mph territory.

stall speed is not the same as the moment you hit the accelerator, which electric motors give you.
Old 06-19-24, 02:32 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Just imagine this....

A hybrid V10 with 9000 rpm.
Old 06-19-24, 04:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I see no benefit in hybrids for performance cars.
I don’t mind hybrids for daily commuters like RAV4, Prius etc.
thanks for the laugh. the 24 hr lemans and other categories of hypercars are all hybrids, including bmw. toyota has been domainant although ferrari has won the 24 hr race (with a hybrid) the past 2 years.

Toyota was first to unveil its new Le Mans Hypercar, the GR010 Hybrid in 2020, and has been racing since the LMP1 era gave way to Hypercars in 2021.
The formidable machine has won every World Endurance Championship since then, scored five out of a possible six WEC race victories in 2023, and has begun 2024 on a strong note: winning the 6 Hours of Imola. ...

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-car-category/
To me - I value engagement, design, sound, driving inputs, seating position over marginal improvements in performance using hybrid system that makes the vehicle heavier and much more complex to modify/service 5 to 10years into ownership.
i think a miata would be perfect for you then... has all those qualities and is wonderful to drive.
Old 06-19-24, 05:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for the laugh. the 24 hr lemans and other categories of hypercars are all hybrids, including bmw. toyota has been domainant although ferrari has won the 24 hr race (with a hybrid) the past 2 years.

i think a miata would be perfect for you then... has all those qualities and is wonderful to drive.
Instead of making sarcastic comments - please enlighten me on the benefits that a hybrid brings that outweigh the negatives in a sports car for the street.

I don’t fit in a Miata, the performance cars I currently own all have those qualities. Unfortunately the new cars have less and less, that’s why you see cars like the 458, 997 GT3 and Turbos go up in value dramatically for example.

Regulations make it very difficult to make a fun pure sports car in 2024.
Old 06-19-24, 05:37 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I think the hybrid of choice will end up being the Revuelto with its' 12 cylinder joy factor.
720S is hot now because it sits in the newest/fastest category for the guys stuck in the endless pissing contest. There was an open top one at a cars and coffee I went to this past Sunday, it is a crazy machine.
Artura is underpowered relative to the 296, even though it costs less, who cares as the guy who can have the Artura can have a 296.
You can’t walk into a Ferrari dealership and buy a new 296, only a used one at way over Msrp.

Anyone can go and buy an Artura.

I have driven the new Artura and it’s not for me. I personally have no interest in a V6 McLaren or Ferrari.

I’m interested in driving the Maserati MC20 - those cars are well below $200k now and just look amazing plus No Hybrid crap!
Old 06-19-24, 05:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I don’t doubt that the hybrid system improves performance and for racing it may even have great benefits. But for my use on a street car, the added weight and complexity of the system which will create further headaches in repair/service doesn’t make up for the incremental improvement in performance it will generate. The tuning/moding aspect is also reduced with a hybrid system.

Toyota / Lexus is not exempt from engine issues as we have seen with some of their turbo engines. Again hopefully this new car makes production and is priced around $200k and weighs less than 4,000lbs.

The Revuelto would have sold no matter what. It’s offered first to existing owners who will buy it and sell it if they don’t like it. Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche have no trouble selling their top cars. The real answer is how does the secondary market judge these cars when they are listed with a few thousand miles. Will anyone want to own a hybrid V12 Lambo out of warranty?

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-19-24 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-19-24, 06:03 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

You can’t walk into a Ferrari dealership and buy a new 296, only a used one at way over Msrp.

Anyone can go and buy an Artura.

I have driven the new Artura and it’s not for me. I personally have no interest in a V6 McLaren or Ferrari.

I’m interested in driving the Maserati MC20 - those cars are well below $200k now and just look amazing plus No Hybrid crap!
The MC20 also has a V6 and sounds worse than the 296 or the Artura minus some turbo spools/wastegate niceties. It's so fast that sometimes, you forget that it doesn't have a hybrid but I would never buy one despite how good it looks because of Maserati reputation, depreciation and unproven reliability --- plus the brake by wire braking feel is awful. I agree with you that sports cars of today aren't as fun as before but it's not necessarily because of hybridization. Neither the Artura or the 296 weigh as much as the MC20 (which doesn't have a hybrid lol) and they all have reliability issues so what's your complaint exactly when it comes to the comparison? If you look at the new hybrid Porsche 911 GTS, the biggest complaints aren't even that it's hybrid, it's that Porsche got rid of the analog tachometer and the lemans key for an ugly start/stop button. If you read the Porsche press release, they explicitly state the hybrid was engineered not for peak efficiency but for peak performance.

Anyways, I'm not saying I want a hybrid or its preferred but it's really not that bad. I'd rather have a hybrid Lexus LC F with a NA V8+hybrid than a twin turbo V8 LC F that muffles the V8 sound.

Full electric, however, heck no.
Old 06-19-24, 08:03 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
If you watch the Savagegeese video on new GTS with Porsche engineers, they say the hybrid tech was for meeting new emissions and with that they also improved performance.
That new engine looks extremely complex and I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole outside of a warranty.
The digital tach is garbage as is the new push button start, just cost cutting at its finest.

My attraction to MC20 is the styling and cheap price for the performance.
The other new car I really like is the updated AM Vantage.
Waiting to see the 992.2 911 Turbo - there should be RWD manual model coming next year.

Quick Reply: Lexus to launch V8 supercar with up to 600bhp