Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to launch V8 supercar with up to 600bhp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-24, 08:12 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
it still takes time to build up torque even at less than a second - a second is a lot in a sports car considering 3-4 second 0-60mph territory.

stall speed is not the same as the moment you hit the accelerator, which electric motors give you.
Do you not know how to launch a car? You bring the converter to stall and build boost, or better yet tune incorporates a flash launch that allows a RPM flare when you smash the gas then on the brake and when you get 3k you just let off the brake

Takes about half a second to do and you get sent off at max TQ
Old 06-19-24, 08:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for the laugh. the 24 hr lemans and other categories of hypercars are all hybrids, including bmw. toyota has been domainant although ferrari has won the 24 hr race (with a hybrid) the past 2 years.

i think a miata would be perfect for you then... has all those qualities and is wonderful to drive.
Remove the class rules and not a single team would use hybrids. They are simply heavier and less power dense
Old 06-19-24, 08:25 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
If you watch the Savagegeese video on new GTS with Porsche engineers, they say the hybrid tech was for meeting new emissions and with that they also improved performance.
That new engine looks extremely complex and I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole outside of a warranty.
The digital tach is garbage as is the new push button start, just cost cutting at its finest.

My attraction to MC20 is the styling and cheap price for the performance.
The other new car I really like is the updated AM Vantage.
Waiting to see the 992.2 911 Turbo - there should be RWD manual model coming next year.
The new Vantage definitely looks promising after a year or two of massive depreciation
Old 06-19-24, 08:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

^
If you watch the Savagegeese video on new GTS with Porsche engineers, they say the hybrid tech was for meeting new emissions and with that they also improved performance.
That new engine looks extremely complex and I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole outside of a warranty.
I'll watch it again, but I've seen both that and the Engineering Explained video as well as done a fair bit of reading, and if anything my impression is that the engine itself is significantly LESS complex than the one it replaces. The only increased complexity in the engine itself is the motor in between the hot and cold side of the turbo. But a ton of stuff has been simplified or eliminated:
  • One turbo vs. two
  • One large intercooler vs. two small ones
  • No wastegate
  • Simplified exhaust
  • No starter
  • No alternator
  • No accessory drive
  • Electric AC compressor
  • direct-driven mechanical water pump
And the hybrid motor (in the PDK) design is less complex than most hybrids as well. It cannot drive the vehicle on its own, so no PSD is needed. The engine drives the wheels 100% of the time, with the motor optionally adding torque.
Old 06-19-24, 10:06 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Do you not know how to launch a car? You bring the converter to stall and build boost, or better yet tune incorporates a flash launch that allows a RPM flare when you smash the gas then on the brake and when you get 3k you just let off the brake

Takes about half a second to do and you get sent off at max TQ
not just about launch. Nothing to do with what I do or do not know.

These are the simplified typical torque curves on modern sport cars, which one do you think drives better?

Old 06-19-24, 10:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I'll watch it again, but I've seen both that and the Engineering Explained video as well as done a fair bit of reading, and if anything my impression is that the engine itself is significantly LESS complex than the one it replaces. The only increased complexity in the engine itself is the motor in between the hot and cold side of the turbo. But a ton of stuff has been simplified or eliminated:
  • One turbo vs. two
  • One large intercooler vs. two small ones
  • No wastegate
  • Simplified exhaust
  • No starter
  • No alternator
  • No accessory drive
  • Electric AC compressor
  • direct-driven mechanical water pump
And the hybrid motor (in the PDK) design is less complex than most hybrids as well. It cannot drive the vehicle on its own, so no PSD is needed. The engine drives the wheels 100% of the time, with the motor optionally adding torque.
Are you being serious lol
How about the whole complexity of the HYBRID Battery system and its programming.
How about the Water pump, which is notorious issue on 911s, now being inside the Engine!
How about the top of the engine covered in wiring from Hybrid system
Porsche 911 engine bays are always crowded, and this one looks like it required Tetris expertise to fit everything in. The dressed-engine height is lowered by 4.3 inches, freeing up room to mount the hybrid system’s power electronics. The jumbo e-turbo is packaged off to the passenger side, leaving room for the turbo plumbing, catalysts, and particle filters (standard in all markets now that there’s no power penalty) directly behind the engine.
​​​​​​​

Please read this article:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025...-need-to-know/

Is it impressive tech - sure but nothing I want to mess with.
Again its heavier, more complex, way more expensive to maintain and due to regulations the motor on its own makes only 5 more HP than previous ICE only GTS. These will have massive depreciation.
Old 06-19-24, 10:26 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Are you being serious lol
How about the whole complexity of the HYBRID Battery system and its programming.
How about the Water pump, which is notorious issue on 911s, now being inside the Engine!
How about the top of the engine covered in wiring from Hybrid system

Please read this article:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025...-need-to-know/

Is it impressive tech - sure but nothing I want to mess with.
Again its heavier, more complex, way more expensive to maintain and due to regulations the motor on its own makes only 5 more HP than previous ICE only GTS. These will have massive depreciation.
Porsche is only converting one 911 trim to hybrid out of the 10+ trims that they have (at least for now). It's not meant to be for everyone.

Turbocharging and engine downsizing ruins cars more than hybridization. Example: look at the Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman move to 4 cylinder. Gross.

Or when the 991.2 C2 moved to turbos and lost the NA symphony. Those are the real culprits of diminished driving experience.

Btw the 992 GT3 saw no hp increase over the 991.2 yet 992 GT3s sells like hotcakes.

That said, luxury OEMs are starting to realize that they've overdone it on appealing to emissions overlords at the expense of what their customers want and they're starting to pull back their plans --- hence why Lexus might actually be doing a V8 supercar afterall

Old 06-19-24, 10:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

All 911s will be hybrid besides base and GT cars as per sources that predicted the launch cars details months ago.
The will also be a “base” Turbo model that is RWD and manual to separate from the Turbo S which will be Hybrid. The RWD Turbo will be very hard to get and will have ADMs.

Porsche CEO is an idiot and stock price is taking a beating as Taycan sales are down big and they still have EV Macan and EV Cayman/Boxster on the way. Good luck with that…..

Offering massive discounts is a sure way to ruin brand prestige.
Old 06-19-24, 10:52 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

All 911s will be hybrid besides base and GT cars as per sources that predicted the launch cars details months ago.
The will also be a “base” Turbo model that is RWD and manual to separate from the Turbo S which will be Hybrid. The RWD Turbo will be very hard to get and will have ADMs.

Porsche CEO is an idiot and stock price is taking a beating as Taycan sales are down big and they still have EV Macan and EV Cayman/Boxster on the way. Good luck with that…..
I basically live on the 992 forums and have an allocation on 992.2 base and the only other trim rumored to be hybrid is possibly the S and maybe a GT2 and a turbo trim. Never heard of the GT cars or a T or anything of that sort going hybrid. Other than the unproven reliability of the hybrid which is true of most new cars, the hybrid adds very little weight. Not saying I'm a fan of the hybrid but it's just not THAT bad and honestly the torque fill is a huge benefit.

The EV Cayman/Boxster on the other hand is an awful decision.

My order of most desirable to least desirable:
NA > hybrid NA > turbo > turbo hybrid > EVs
Old 06-19-24, 11:04 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero
I've thought about this a lot.

If I could afford a super car my order would be
Big Ice > ice with turbo
Or
EV

Nothing in the middle for me.
Only reason why is because I care less about the "Numbers" and more about being pure.

If that makes any sense. 🤓
Old 06-19-24, 11:16 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I basically live on the 992 forums and have an allocation on 992.2 base and the only other trim rumored to be hybrid is possibly the S and maybe a GT2 and a turbo trim. Never heard of the GT cars or a T or anything of that sort going hybrid. Other than the unproven reliability of the hybrid which is true of most new cars, the hybrid adds very little weight. Not saying I'm a fan of the hybrid but it's just not THAT bad and honestly the torque fill is a huge benefit.

The EV Cayman/Boxster on the other hand is an awful decision.

I’m active on Rennlist - there are many threads on this topic there.
S, GTS, Turbo S = hybrid
Base, Base Turbo, GT3 = Pure ICE
T will probably be back for last 2years of 992.2 run.

I think the base car is good unless you need a manual. It does lack certain performance options like LSD, rear steering etc. They did finally make larger brakes standard.

Personally I’m only interested in the T, RWD Turbo and GT3. The latter 2 will be impossible to get without significant ADM unfortunately.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-19-24 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-19-24, 11:37 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

I think the base car is good unless you need a manual. It does lack certain performance options like LSD, rear steering etc. They did finally make larger brakes standard.
I find all that extra tech like RAS, PTV, PDCC, dynamic steering, etc to be more intrusive and numbing to the driving experience than hybridization.

I turn all those things off in my LC and it makes a huge improvement in the feel of the car. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a video game.
Old 06-19-24, 11:38 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Margate330
I've thought about this a lot.

If I could afford a super car my order would be
Big Ice > ice with turbo
Or
EV

Nothing in the middle for me.
Only reason why is because I care less about the "Numbers" and more about being pure.

If that makes any sense. 🤓
One can either look at hybrids as the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds. "To each their own..."
Old 06-19-24, 12:41 PM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Hybrids do offer the advantage of torque fill. It's also nice to have flexibility to drive on full electric in the rare occasion when there's a gas shortage. For example, after a hurricane, sometimes there's a fuel shortage --- having the flexibility to drive on pure electric is better than not being able to drive at all. Vice versa, if there's a power outage for whatever reason, you can use gas to get around (assuming the pumps still work).
How am I charging my electric car?
Old 06-19-24, 12:47 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

One can either look at hybrids as the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds. "To each their own..."
Yes sir, I was just thinking in the context of super cars.

For regular around town driving, hybrid might be ok.
But not for a super car, at least for me. 🤓

Quick Reply: Lexus to launch V8 supercar with up to 600bhp