Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to launch V8 supercar with up to 600bhp

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-24, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
All 911s will be hybrid besides base and GT cars as per sources that predicted the launch cars details months ago.
The will also be a “base” Turbo model that is RWD and manual to separate from the Turbo S which will be Hybrid. The RWD Turbo will be very hard to get and will have ADMs.

Porsche CEO is an idiot and stock price is taking a beating as Taycan sales are down big and they still have EV Macan and EV Cayman/Boxster on the way. Good luck with that…..

Offering massive discounts is a sure way to ruin brand prestige.
I seriously can not imagine going through life being as relentlessly negative as this. Wow.
Old 06-19-24, 02:57 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 182 Posts

Related post to this one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...o-the-lfa.html

Old 06-19-24, 05:27 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I hope they really do it, but I’ll believe it when I see it.
Old 06-19-24, 07:27 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I seriously can not imagine going through life being as relentlessly negative as this. Wow.
What did I say that was negative?
Porsche investors are telling the CEO he is wrong.
Maybe you should do some research before commenting and making personal attacks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-checkout=true

Ingo Speich of investment firm Deka Investment said: "The excitement from [Porsche's] initial public offering (IPO) has faded. Deliveries of Porsche's flagship Taycan electric car almost halved in the first quarter, and "consumers are more likely to boycott it than buy it."

Blume will defend its plans to renew Porsche's five product lines (out of six) within a year, saying the extra spending will pay off in the future, and much will depend on whether the new electric Macan (deliveries will begin in the second half of the year) is as popular as the internal combustion engine version, which sold more Porsche models except the Cayenne last year.

Porsche plans to launch electric versions of the 718 Boxster and Cayman around 2025, followed by an electric Cayenne model. The company aims to sell more than 80% of its total sales by 2030 with all-electric models.

Moritz Kronenberger of asset manager Union Investment said Porsche should launch EV products based on market demand, adding that selling more ICE models would improve margins and free cash flow until EV demand picks up again.

However, Deka's Speich was skeptical of EV demand and urged Blume to accept lower sales and avoid price cuts so as not to damage the brand. Daniel Schwarz, an analyst at Stifel Investment Bank, believes that the Taycan depreciates faster than the 911 sports car, which could deter buyers.
Old 06-19-24, 07:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero
I find all that extra tech like RAS, PTV, PDCC, dynamic steering, etc to be more intrusive and numbing to the driving experience than hybridization.

I turn all those things off in my LC and it makes a huge improvement in the feel of the car. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a video game.
I’m with you there as less is more although I love RAS on 911 but I know others prefer the traditional front end float feeling that RAS eliminates.
I had it on my 911 T.
Old 06-19-24, 07:40 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

I’m with you there as less is more although I love RAS on 911 but I know others prefer the traditional front end float feeling that RAS eliminates.
I had it on my 911 T.
I'll have to look that one up, y'all are talking over my head again. Haha
Old 06-19-24, 09:09 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I find all that extra tech like RAS, PTV, PDCC, dynamic steering, etc to be more intrusive and numbing to the driving experience than hybridization.

I turn all those things off in my LC and it makes a huge improvement in the feel of the car. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a video game.
Since you mentioned it, do you think PDCC is not worth getting in a Cayenne? It’s a $3k option that I wasn’t going to get because it’s a SUV and I’m not tracking the thing bu lt I was going to get RAS since it’s relatively cheap. Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-19-24, 09:28 PM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Since you mentioned it, do you think PDCC is not worth getting in a Cayenne? It’s a $3k option that I wasn’t going to get because it’s a SUV and I’m not tracking the thing bu lt I was going to get RAS since it’s relatively cheap. Any thoughts on that?
PDCC and RAS on a big top heavy car like a Cayenne make more sense and I would recommend though it's a personal preference. In an SUV, you really don't want to feel body roll and PDCC helps a lot with that and given the SUV is so big you'd want RAS for tight maneuvering and it can help with high speed cornering. However, it is an unnatural feeling

I just don't think the 911 needs these bc it's already very nimble

Last edited by autozero; 06-20-24 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-20-24, 04:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

can you elaborate on what that alphabet soup of options are?
Old 06-20-24, 05:01 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can you elaborate on what that alphabet soup of options are?
RAS = rear axle steering. It's a lot more noticeable on the 911 than the LC
PTV = porsche torque vectoring
PDCC = Porsche dynamic chassis control. Anti-roll bar stabilization
Power steering plus = changing the steering ratio at different speeds

Lexus has many of these same systems at least in the LC. The net effect is a car that is more capable but also more numb and detached from the driver's senses. If you're not an expert in car dynamics or have a good sense of how a car moves around based on your inputs, then you'll likely appreciate all these systems. However, if you are, then you'll find them unnatural as there's a delta between your inputs and the car's outputs --- there's a computer that's making decisions on the car's response vs. your input. The best analogy I can give is auto blip on a manual transmission. If you're an expert in heel-toe downshifts and are accustomed to blipping the throttle on downshifts yourself, then auto-blip takes some getting used to. However, if you're not good at heel-toe, then auto-blip is a welcomed edition. Come to think of it, an even better analogy would be an having an automatic transmission that decides when to upshift vs having a transmission that doesn't automatically upshift and will bounce off redline. Sometimes you just want to do what a computer might say is not logical.

That's not to say one is better than the other --- just a matter of preference.

Last edited by autozero; 06-20-24 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-20-24, 05:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

thanks autozero. those kinds of features make performance cars more usable by less skilled drivers, which to me is a great thing. sounds like you're much more capable and prefer those kinds of things turned off for a more 'pure' or raw experience. not me, i'll take all the help i can get.
Old 06-20-24, 05:22 AM
autozero
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks autozero. those kinds of features make performance cars more usable by less skilled drivers, which to me is a great thing. sounds like you're much more capable and prefer those kinds of things turned off for a more 'pure' or raw experience. not me, i'll take all the help i can get.
You're spot on. It helps that I used to do amateur formula racing and have a SCCA comp license. Admittedly people like me are the minority, so it makes sense that OEMs are investing in technology for the average driver vs. niche drivers like myself who crave a more raw driving experience. There's also a lot of pressure from lawmakers and society to build safer cars and I guess the theory is that computers are safer than humans...to what extent humans are eliminated from driving input altogether...we'll see
Old 06-20-24, 05:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You're spot on. It helps that I used to do amateur formula racing and have a SCCA comp license.
thanks and wow, go you! that's great.

I guess the theory is that computers are safer than humans...to what extent humans are eliminated from driving input altogether...we'll see
not a theory, obviously safety/control tech keeps roads and people safer. as far as eliminating humans altogether, look race cars with no drivers...

Old 06-20-24, 07:50 AM
Tritonal
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming this is the one? They've been testing it for a while now...

Old 06-20-24, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

What did I say that was negative?
Porsche investors are telling the CEO he is wrong.
Maybe you should do some research before commenting and making personal attacks.
Many many things, constantly.

Quick Reply: Lexus to launch V8 supercar with up to 600bhp