Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So Three-Cylinder Engines are Dogs, are They?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-24, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Now compare that to the RS3.....or a base A4 with an OTS tune lol!
Apples and oranges. An RS3 has an in-line 5-cylinder Turbo. But, all else equal, a Corolla GR will keep up with a number of turbo fours
Old 06-23-24, 09:35 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Three cylinder turbo.
Do you think adding the turbo is approximately equal to adding another cylinder or maybe more?
Old 06-23-24, 11:27 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

No no, surely going down to a 3 cylinder is the magic sauce.
Old 06-24-24, 06:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wrong. The non-turbo Mickey-Mouse three-bangers of the 1980s couldn't get out of their own way, but the turbo-threes of today can outrun some larger non-turbo engines.

A prime example is the Corolla GR, with 300 HP, 295 ft-lbs. of torque, and a three-pedal 6-speed manual.
What's the value in comparing engines from 40 years ago? Many 2.0 turbos of today have more HP than an 80s era Ferrari 308 V8 engine. Completely apples and oranges.
Old 06-24-24, 06:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
What's the value in comparing engines from 40 years ago? Many 2.0 turbos of today have more HP than an 80s era Ferrari 308 V8 engine. Completely apples and oranges.
Disagree. I don't quite see it as apples and oranges. Some the same criticisms of yesterday's threes are also being leveled against those of today.

Of course, at this rate, with the electrification of the industry, it begs the question of how much longer we are going to have new gasoline engines of ANY size.
Old 06-24-24, 06:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,194 Likes on 887 Posts

Disagree. I don't quite see it as apples and oranges. Some the same criticisms of yesterday's threes are also being leveled against those of today.

Of course, at this rate, with the electrification of the industry, it begs the question of how much longer we are going to have new gasoline engines of ANY size.
Flat 2 at 8500 rpm spinning a generator lol!
Old 06-24-24, 08:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So which side of the coin are you arguing? You started this thread implying that modern 3-cylinder engines can be competitive.

But then you bring in arguments about underpowered 80s era 3-cylinder engines not being able to get out of their own way; and then you say that the comparison is relevant.

So what exactly is your position on modern 3-cylinder engines? I'm having a hard time following.
Old 06-24-24, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
So which side of the coin are you arguing? You started this thread implying that modern 3-cylinder engines can be competitive.

But then you bring in arguments about underpowered 80s era 3-cylinder engines not being able to get out of their own way; and then you say that the comparison is relevant.

So what exactly is your position on modern 3-cylinder engines? I'm having a hard time following.

OK.....I'll try and clear it up, what I'm saying is that it's apples and oranges to compare today's turbo threes with the 50 HP Mickey-Mouse threes of 40years ago. First, those threes of 40 years ago did not have turbos like today....so that alone is apples and oranges. Second, we have some true high-performance vehicles today with turbo threes...like the aforementioned Corolla GR. Third, even relatively tame turbo threes today make as much or more power than some normally-aspirated larger engines with more cylinders.

The one main question (?) still with turbo threes today, and only time will tell on that, is reliability. In general, most of them have been on the market only a few years, and probably not many have 100K or more miles on them. But, the general laws of physics say that, if you drive one of these engines aggressively (which I don't), or tow too much with them (which I don't), they are going to be highly stressed, particularly in heavier vehicles. And stress usually doesn't bode well for reliability.
Old 06-30-24, 12:48 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natman
You may be able to outrun the police car, but you can't outrun the Motorola.

Old 06-30-24, 10:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Actually, the radio-waves themselves traveled at exactly the same speeds back then (about the speed of light) as they do now, so, once you are actually talking over the set, there's no difference. The difference, of course, is that the sets themselves, back then, having primitive vacuum-tubes, had to warm up a bit after you turned them on.....you did not get instant on/off with transistors and advanced electronics like you do today. And, on some frequency-bands, the communications could be disrupted by lightning, which causes static.
Old 07-01-24, 03:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

GR Corolla is fast and the engine feels like a 4 cylinder, a decent one at that. I was surprised.
Old 07-01-24, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
GR Corolla is fast and the engine feels like a 4 cylinder, a decent one at that. I was surprised.

It ought to be fast.....300 HP and 295 ft-lbs of torque, with a manual transmission, in a small pocket-rocket platform.
Old 07-01-24, 06:53 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by natman
You may be able to outrun the police car, but you can't outrun the Motorola.
True, but law enforcement has been more careful about engaging in pursuits as well as how much to engage and for how long. The concern is obviously public safety as a fleeing driver is likely to cause damage and injuries to others as pursuits intensify.
Old 07-01-24, 07:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

the GR Corolla is an excellent achievement. That is where the money will be made for Toyota. They will still make small cars. Also with full time awd and two Torsen diff. And manual with no electrification

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-01-24 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-01-24, 07:06 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

To be a true 3 cylinder they will need to drop a cylinder and add a turbo to make up for it.

Will need a big 3 to bring it back up to the hp, if that's possible.

Quick Reply: So Three-Cylinder Engines are Dogs, are They?