Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Grand Highlander and Lexus TX Stop Sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-24, 06:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Given the choice no. The truck teams are also under the umbrella I mentioned btw, that's a separate type of performance but offer any of those guys a chance to work on supercars instead and they would take it.
there's not enough supercars for everyone to work on them. and those teams are likely pretty small.
Old 06-25-24, 07:17 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there's not enough supercars for everyone to work on them. and those teams are likely pretty small.
Okay. You are just proving my point even more that all the elite talent is concentrated at the top and as near to the top as they can get. Not at Toyota
Old 06-25-24, 09:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Okay. You are just proving my point even more that all the elite talent is concentrated at the top and as near to the top as they can get. Not at Toyota
different categories of cars need different skills. it's not an 'elite' thing. there's incredible skill making a toyota camry as good as it is, vs. a mclaren, which may be fast, but has huge reliability problems. same with aston, etc.

Old 06-25-24, 10:17 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Sure but offer the same tier of "global talent" the choice between Toyota and the big German 3 and it's clear where people tend to end up. The American brands have some killer performance teams but that's about it over here and that's only because of what those individual cars mean in an emotional context for many.

VAG in particular has so many desirable brands it's a big draw on talent, would you rather work on a GR corolla or a 911 GT3RS?
Whether one prefers to work on a GR Corolla or a Porsche really depends on one's personality. Do I want to create something special out of something pedestrian or make something that already goes fast, faster? I know I would much rather work on the GR Corolla. It allows my mind to go into overdrive and solve problems within a certain envelope, which is what engineers naturally love to do.

While I applaud Toyota for pushing the fun to drive car thing, they cannot take the eye off of safety and reliability. Airbags not deploying due to a window position and debris left in the engine is just amateur hr here.
Old 06-25-24, 10:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motorola
I agree. I don't know where this oft-repeated idea that Toyota would miraculously be able to "leapfrog" the competition comes from, but it hasn't been the case for either turbos or EV's. Other brands have spent the past few years if not couple decades perfecting and widely implementing their modern powertrains and other technologies, and Toyota/Lexus more or less coasted on their naturally aspirated offerings and mousepads up until very recently. Now lo and behold, they're having some of the same issues that other brands had years prior. Same can be said with EV's. The only field that Toyota has been iteratively improving time and again is their hybrid technology. But for the company that wrote the rulebook on Kaizen, it's strange to see them more or less ignore it.

I still can't wrap my head around how poor the product planning and engineering was for the outgoing ES where they were physically unable to fit an AWD system with the V6.
Dude you must be stuck in 2020. Toyota not investing in EVs was deliberate and they were vindicated with the fevered adoption of hybrids and guess who makes the best hybrids and for the longest time? Toyota made an EV and an ICE drivetrain work together, in the same car! Let's not assume they dont know how to shove big electric motors and big battery packs into a car
Old 06-25-24, 03:03 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Dude you must be stuck in 2020. Toyota not investing in EVs was deliberate and they were vindicated with the fevered adoption of hybrids and guess who makes the best hybrids and for the longest time? Toyota made an EV and an ICE drivetrain work together, in the same car! Let's not assume they dont know how to shove big electric motors and big battery packs into a car
They don't. The RZ wouldn't be a remotely competitive EV even if it was released in 2020. It is what it is. And don't forget that Lexus still is embracing an all-EV future.

Speaking of hybrids, Toyota wasn't ready either. It's another failure of Kaizen on Toyota's part that they're unable to allocate a sufficient battery supply for their PHEV's and EV's, and even their regular hybrids are having major supply issues.

Last edited by Motorola; 06-25-24 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-26-24, 01:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
different categories of cars need different skills. it's not an 'elite' thing. there's incredible skill making a toyota camry as good as it is, vs. a mclaren, which may be fast, but has huge reliability problems. same with aston, etc.
Sure man, I never mentioned those companies btw only Porsche and I did so for a reason. A Camry is 10 years behind the competition so I would certainly hope it's at least got reliable going for it, issue is it's not 2004 anymore and almost all car are "Lexus level" reliable now so as MANY people on this very forum and myself have found there is no reason anymore to stick with Toyota/Lexus out of fear of reliability issues
Old 06-26-24, 05:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 732 Likes on 504 Posts

I worked in aerospace in a previous life and you'd be surprised by how many engineers are more interested in owning and improving winglets vs. jet engines.
Old 06-26-24, 05:37 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
I worked in aerospace in a previous life and you'd be surprised by how many engineers are more interested in owning and improving winglets vs. jet engines.
Do you see the best tech on an F15EX or a 737? Where do the best people work?
Old 06-26-24, 05:45 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 732 Likes on 504 Posts

Do you see the best tech on an F15EX or a 737? Where do the best people work?
Define "best" because you have to specialize long before you get to that stage. From the company perspective, best engineers go to the money makers so they would be with the 737 instead of the F15 program although Boeing probably isn't the best example given the last decade

The point is 'best' is subjective. There are fantastic engineers that are more interested in building the most reliable engine vs. the quickest or most powerful. If you're looking for those on the cutting edge, you'd be looking at the racing teams and not the consumer vehicle teams.
Old 06-26-24, 06:10 PM
situman
Pole Position

Sure man, I never mentioned those companies btw only Porsche and I did so for a reason. A Camry is 10 years behind the competition so I would certainly hope it's at least got reliable going for it, issue is it's not 2004 anymore and almost all car are "Lexus level" reliable now so as MANY people on this very forum and myself have found there is no reason anymore to stick with Toyota/Lexus out of fear of reliability issues
Realistically, the Camry dont really have much competition anymore. Even the Accord seems to have fallen by the wayside. The recently revised version shows Toyota wasnt exactly sleeping on the model either. The update was quite impressive tbh.
Old 06-26-24, 07:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

My 2004 4Runner was recalled for a curtain air bag issue back in 2006
Old 06-26-24, 08:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Realistically, the Camry dont really have much competition anymore. Even the Accord seems to have fallen by the wayside. The recently revised version shows Toyota wasnt exactly sleeping on the model either. The update was quite impressive tbh.
How are we defining impressive?
Old 06-27-24, 02:18 PM
situman
Pole Position

Relative to the new Accord. The Accord seems like a half effort. The Camry got the newest gen Hybrid drive and the price didnt go through the roof. I call that a major win.
Old 06-27-24, 04:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

A Camry is 10 years behind the competition so I would certainly hope it's at least got reliable going for it
since you typically buy 10 year old cars, sounds perfect.

Originally Posted by Allen K
The point is 'best' is subjective. There are fantastic engineers that are more interested in building the most reliable engine vs. the quickest or most powerful. If you're looking for those on the cutting edge, you'd be looking at the racing teams and not the consumer vehicle teams.
exactly.

for you it's about go fast only, but even your clunker jeep is impressive in some ways.

the camry being now all in on hybrid is super efficient, fast enough, likely very reliable, and they stepped up the interior in a huge way. i'm not camry super fan, but i'm impressed.

Quick Reply: Toyota Grand Highlander and Lexus TX Stop Sale