Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should the Design of Automatic Transmission-Shifters in New Vehicles be Standardized?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-24, 10:40 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Yup, thats how it is in my car. Seems super simple to me. Park is on own and youre not going to slip up and accidentally press that button high up and off to the side. PLUS, i rarely even press the Park button. When you turn the car off, the car automatically goes into Park.

I had a rental G70 last weekend, and it was exactly as pictured above. I found it totally fine to use. I would have liked a way to lock it into manual mode, but hey, maybe that's on me for wanting to drive a luxury sedan like that.

We have an X3 and an IS 500. So we have pretty new-school and old-school gear selectors under the same roof. I find both are fine. The IS 500's classic zig-zag selector takes a little more effort, but there's no murkiness about what gear I am in.
Old 06-26-24, 11:49 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

No standardization is my vote

Bring the FLAVORS! 🤓
Old 06-26-24, 12:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

What a terrible idea to have standardized shifters

Originally Posted by Trackruner
I hate the ones with a button that you pull straight back. Give me one without a button that moves right and left.

That being said, my current car actually has the button over the left and right movement, so it's clearly not a dealbreaker, lol

This by far the best design out there,
Old 06-28-24, 03:58 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If one cannot figure out how to put a car into drive with the above samples, then I would say that person is not fit to drive a car that could potentially cause harm to others around them.
Old 06-28-24, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The issue is when people don't drive the same car every day they don't intutively know how to operate the shifter. Before when you had either column shifters or console shifters, up was always park, and down through R, N,D and then the lower gears. Now some cars you push a button, some you go up for reverse...some down, some sideways. Its just not intuitive.
Old 06-28-24, 06:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The issue is when people don't drive the same car every day they don't intutively know how to operate the shifter. Before when you had either column shifters or console shifters, up was always park, and down through R, N,D and then the lower gears. Now some cars you push a button, some you go up for reverse...some down, some sideways. It's just not intuitive.
Can't disagree with that, I guess touch screen it is! Everyone has a phone after all
Old 06-28-24, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have a friend at work who thought she put her Tesla in drive on the screen, backed right up into her flagpole....twice lol
Old 06-28-24, 07:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I have a friend at work who thought she put her Tesla in drive on the screen, backed right up into her flagpole....twice lol
Such is the modern way lol!
Old 06-28-24, 09:21 PM
Logicallychallenged
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote for voice activated.
Old 06-28-24, 10:59 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Imagine if she lived in an age where manual transmissions were more prevalent. All those pedals and shift points would certainly be challenging.
Old 06-29-24, 06:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
Imagine if she lived in an age where manual transmissions were more prevalent. All those pedals and shift points would certainly be challenging.
I totally disagree. The issue is trying to fiddle with a slider on a screen and thinking drive has engaged when it hasn't I can 100% see how that could happen in a Tesla and if you're in a hurry you could put your foot on the accelerator and expect to move forward and in fact move backwards. When you have a physical gearshift that you physically feel and see go into a specific gear thats much harder to do.

Physical feedback is a huge part of how we accomplish controlling something. No physical feedback in how you do anything in a Tesla which IMO makes them less safe.
Old 06-29-24, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

I totally disagree. The issue is trying to fiddle with a slider on a screen and thinking drive has engaged when it hasn't I can 100% see how that could happen in a Tesla and if you're in a hurry you could put your foot on the accelerator and expect to move forward and in fact move backwards. When you have a physical gearshift that you physically feel and see go into a specific gear thats much harder to do.

Physical feedback is a huge part of how we accomplish controlling something. No physical feedback in how you do anything in a Tesla which IMO makes them less safe.
sounds like you just want to say drivers shouldn't have to pay attention, or recognize things they're not familiar with and take their time and intentionally do things and make sure they're doing it right.

cars have different steering, brakes, controls on steering wheels and dash, rear view mirrors and visibility, handling, throttle response, transmissions, etc., etc.

perhaps driving an unfamiliar car should be done with CAUTION. when i get in an unfamiliar rental car or test drive, i don't just assume everything's the way i'm used to.

you're advocating the bugatti tourbillon and a corolla should have the same controls. i don't agree.
Old 06-29-24, 06:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sounds like you just want to say drivers shouldn't have to pay attention, or recognize things they're not familiar with and take their time and intentionally do things and make sure they're doing it right.

cars have different steering, brakes, controls on steering wheels and dash, rear view mirrors and visibility, handling, throttle response, transmissions, etc., etc.

perhaps driving an unfamiliar car should be done with CAUTION. when i get in an unfamiliar rental car or test drive, i don't just assume everything's the way i'm used to.

you're advocating the bugatti tourbillon and a corolla should have the same controls. i don't agree.
Thats not what I'm saying at all. Controls can be designed to operate in similar and easily familiar ways and yet still be different. The issue is over the last 10 years for whatever reason the designs of gear selectors have gone off the deep end. They have gotten to where they couldn't be more different and less intuitive. Some are way worse than others.

Its fine to say "just pay attention" but everybody has lapses of attention and vital controls for safety have to be designed in such a way that they work reliably and make sense to the user in order for them to be safe.

When I say they should be regulated, I don't mean they should all be identical, I mean a design should have to conform to specific use norms. I think it should have to be a physical control, there should be requirements about what direction they are moved to engage certain gears, etc.

This car I push forward for reverse, this one I push backwards, this is a slider on a screen, this is a **** that twists this way, this one twists that way...its just a recipe for disaster. Cars have always had slightly different controls but the overall concept has been the same...thats just not the case right now.
Old 06-29-24, 07:03 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

That design is a FAIL, double fail. Lol

There should be no swiping to put the car in reverse or drive.

#stop_the_swiping_silliness
Old 06-29-24, 07:05 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

And yet the allure of screens due to price cutting wins out

Quick Reply: Should the Design of Automatic Transmission-Shifters in New Vehicles be Standardized?