Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should the Design of Automatic Transmission-Shifters in New Vehicles be Standardized?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-24, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Certain controls, the steering wheel, pedals, gear selector, turn signals…not the place for design to express themselves lol
Old 06-29-24, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Certain controls, the steering wheel, pedals, gear selector, turn signals…not the place for design to express themselves lol
Maybe a little off-topic, but that reminds me of a song I remember from years ago...........

Old 06-29-24, 10:33 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I totally disagree. The issue is trying to fiddle with a slider on a screen and thinking drive has engaged when it hasn't I can 100% see how that could happen in a Tesla and if you're in a hurry you could put your foot on the accelerator and expect to move forward and in fact move backwards. When you have a physical gearshift that you physically feel and see go into a specific gear thats much harder to do.

Physical feedback is a huge part of how we accomplish controlling something. No physical feedback in how you do anything in a Tesla which IMO makes them less safe.
All of that just to cover the fact that she hit a flagpole twice? At some point people have to stop blaming other things and take responsibility for their own actions/inactions.
Old 06-29-24, 10:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
All of that just to cover the fact that she hit a flagpole twice? At some point people have to stop blaming other things and take responsibility for their own actions/inactions.
She made a mistake that was made MUCH easier to make because of the design of the gear selector. Having driven Teslas like this, I absolutely see how she could have done that. Its poor design. She slid up but was just a little bit off and it didnt go into drive. When you're maneuvering around changing from drive to reverse drive to reverse I absolutely see how this could happen.

Sliding gear selector on a screen and no turn signal stalks completely disqualify a Tesla as an option for me.
Old 06-29-24, 10:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

She made a mistake that was made MUCH easier to make because of the design of the gear selector. Having driven Teslas like this, I absolutely see how she could have done that. Its poor design. She slid up but was just a little bit off and it didnt go into drive. When you're maneuvering around changing from drive to reverse drive to reverse I absolutely see how this could happen.

Sliding gear selector on a screen and no turn signal stalks completely disqualify a Tesla as an option for me.
Tesla has a terrible user design to practically all of their controls as well as a the screen
Old 06-29-24, 11:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

This car I push forward for reverse, this one I push backwards, this is a slider on a screen, this is a **** that twists this way, this one twists that way...its just a recipe for disaster.
i bet 99% of all accidents related to shifters happen in parking lots, garages, or home driveways. hardly a 'recipe for disaster'.

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Tesla has a terrible user design to practically all of their controls as well as a the screen
more hilarity... most tesla owners i've seen LOVE the controls, while acknowledging there is a learning curve from the 'traditional'.
my experience driving teslas has been great, although i do wish the 3/Y had hud or gauge in front of driver. also not a fan of the yoke, although i bet it's a lot better in cybertruck because that finally has much more sophisticate variable steering.

Old 06-29-24, 02:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i bet 99% of all accidents related to shifters happen in parking lots, garages, or home driveways. hardly a 'recipe for disaster'.

more hilarity... most tesla owners i've seen LOVE the controls, while acknowledging there is a learning curve from the 'traditional'.
my experience driving teslas has been great, although i do wish the 3/Y had hud or gauge in front of driver. also not a fan of the yoke, although i bet it's a lot better in cybertruck because that finally has much more sophisticate variable steering.
Its just cope or people who don't realize it's all via the screen to keep costs as low as possible.
Old 06-29-24, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i bet 99% of all accidents related to shifters happen in parking lots, garages, or home driveways. hardly a 'recipe for disaster'
Shifter-related disasters happen there, too. Just ask Anton Yelchin.
Old 06-29-24, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. Ask Anton Yelchin. Oh wait you can’t because the stupid shifter in his Jeep killed him. Remember in response Jeep went back to a regular shifter. People can be hurt or killed very easily in a driveway or parking lot
Old 06-29-24, 07:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

this is the best shifter design. Same with the 4H to 4L shifter.
Old 06-29-24, 07:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree. Although I have gotten used to the MB shifter and like it. Whenever I drive the Pacifica I’m always shifting the wiper stalk lol
Old 06-29-24, 07:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree. Although I have gotten used to the MB shifter and like it. Whenever I drive the Pacifica I’m always shifting the wiper stalk lol
For sure. Others are great too. My friends Pacifica dial it is really convenient. The Toyota/Lexus shifter also adds a nice visual appeal too. It also has an experience all to its own Both my 4Runners have a cable so there is this tension that ads to it. New Tacoma has a cable too but not a gated shifter. Your MB has its only experience too. But likely all computer. I would expect that the Telsa design would have some sort of failsafe or something that would have detected the pole and ahut it down, that’s the bigger disappointment
Old 06-29-24, 07:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill

this is the best shifter design. Same with the 4H to 4L shifter.
Nah. I like a dial since it takes up near zero space and have a great feedback to it.
Old 06-30-24, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so you've said zig zag shifter ok. stalk shifter ok. and dial shifter ok. all completely different.

reminds me of the old adage... "the great thing about standards is there's so many to choose from"

Old 06-30-24, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Shifter-related disasters happen there, too. Just ask Anton Yelchin.
he was part of the 1%. he didn't put the car in park (either sloppy or didn't know how the shifter worked, probably the former), and didn't engage the park brake.
i HAD that same jeep and shifter. never any issue and i liked it.

Quick Reply: Should the Design of Automatic Transmission-Shifters in New Vehicles be Standardized?