Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should the Design of Automatic Transmission-Shifters in New Vehicles be Standardized?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-24, 06:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with sticks, stalks, buttons, *****, screens, nothing (tesla that senses, lol), etc., that isn't going to happen.
There can absolutely be standard requirements for how a control operates, we have these requirements many other places in cars. Lighting requirements, etc

it's also been stated here how the yelchin tragedy could have easily been handled by the car going into park automatically when the door was opened, which doesn't require a different shifter.
The shifter was terrible outside of that incident...
Old 07-02-24, 07:01 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the shifter always stays in the same spot and to go from park to either reverse or drive you have to pull the shifter LEFT then up or down respectively. thankfully i don't have to put it in neutral ever because off the top of my head, i've no idea how. for park there's a separate 'P' button.
It’s not that weird the Prius has used that shifter since 2003. And the HS and CT200h had it as well.

and to put it in neutral you push over to the LEFT and let go. That’s it.

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Depends on where the button is located. As I stated in the OP, the button can be in a position where it is too easy to brush inadvertently when the vehicle is moving and damage or ruin the transmission.

IMHO most of the E-joysticks are bad designs.
Well nothing will happen if you push the park button while traveling at a high speed. Probably just get a warning that park isn’t available or something.
Old 07-02-24, 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94

Well nothing will happen if you push the park button while traveling at a high speed. Probably just get a warning that park isn’t available or something.

Perhaps so, but I certainly don't want to find out LOL.
Old 07-02-24, 08:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There can absolutely be standard requirements for how a control operates, we have these requirements many other places in cars. Lighting requirements, etc
awaiting your proposed standards that won't enrage all car makers.

The shifter was terrible outside of that incident...
and yet apparently audi uses the same design. i think thou doth protest too much. one guy, who happened to be famous, does something very dumb, in a rush, and so the shifter is 'terrible' when as we've seen, the fix was trivial without eliminating it.

your s-class uses a stalk, right? pull down for drive, push up for reverse, and button on end for park, i think?

It’s not that weird the Prius has used that shifter since 2003. And the HS and CT200h had it as well.
those are all weird cars lol, so i rest my case.

but doesn't bother me at all, i love how 'clean' the small lc shifter is and that it's always in the same spot. i like the NX implementation which is an even smaller nub of a shifter.

and to put it in neutral you push over to the LEFT and let go. That’s it.
thanks!
Old 07-02-24, 08:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

and yet apparently audi uses the same design. i think thou doth protest too much. one guy, who happened to be famous, does something very dumb, in a rush, and so the shifter is 'terrible' when as we've seen, the fix was trivial without eliminating it.
Audi DID use the same design. They had already recognized that it was bad, and started rolling out their redesigned (and far superior) replacement with the 2017 model year, right around the time of the Jeep incident:

Fun easter egg with this shifter: If you have it tipped over to the right for manual mode, and you either push the P button or open the door, in addition to park being engaged the shifter tips itself back upright to the monostable position.
Old 07-02-24, 08:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

People really ought to be in the habit of engaging the parking brake before exiting the vehicle.
LOL. What % of people driving an AT use the parking brake? 2%?
Old 07-02-24, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps so, but I certainly don't want to find out LOL.
Its electronic, it won't do anything.

Just pick a criteria, has to be a physical control, controls must move up to down or left to right and requires a button for Park, something along those lines. Controls that vital need to be intuitive. We have rules that brake lights have to be red, etc.

They did, they eliminated it because it was terrible. Striker has a car with the shifter and he agrees its a poor design.

your s-class uses a stalk, right? pull down for drive, push up for reverse, and button on end for park, i think?
Yep, all Mercedes do.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-02-24 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-02-24, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Well, that is (mostly) what this thread is about...should there be a standard, and, if so, what should the standard be?

Although this might not be the case with other opinions here, I personally think that the standard PRNDL sequence left-to-right (on a column-shifter), or front to back (on a console shifter) served the industry well for decades, and there is no reason to mess with it or to divert into new patterns and shift-devices. Call me Old-School if you want (I've been called that before LOL)......but more than a half-century of successful driving has convinced me of that. I also feel that the most easy-to-use and foolproof shifter ever done is the simple fore-aft console-lever without zig-zags...and perhaps with a little firmer detent from D to L to prevent overshooting D when pulling the lever back.

I also like the way Toyota and Lexus used to color-code orange for Reverse and green for Neutral.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-24 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-02-24, 09:14 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Probably. Most people don’t even use it when parking hills.
Old 07-02-24, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Count me in on that 2%. I ALWAYS use it.

And the proper way to use it is before you place the transmission in park, because, if you use the Park function first, and then engage the brake afterward, it can, in some instances, particularly on an incline, place added stress on the parking-prawl inside the transmission.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-24 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-02-24, 12:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Count me in on that 2%. I ALWAYS use it.

And the proper way to use it is before you place the transmission in park, because, if you use the Park function, and then engage the brake afterward, it can, in some instances, particularly on an incline, place added stress on the parking-prawl inside the transmission.
I also always use my parking brake, but I engage it after putting it in park. I just don't take my foot off the brake pedal until the parking brake is engaged, so it doesn't transfer any load into the transmission.
Old 07-02-24, 12:30 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure this is partially why they went to the electronic parking brakes. Since it enables the auto parking brake feature and also brake hold at stoplights.
Old 07-02-24, 12:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I'm sure this is partially why they went to the electronic parking brakes. Since it enables the auto parking brake feature and also brake hold at stoplights.
Yep, my dad's rover auto engages parking brake. It's great since it was impossible to get him to use it for the longest time, but I fixed that by walking up to one of his cars and forcefully rocked it back bad forth onto/off the prawl so you could hear it "click".

He asked "what is that" and I explained the prawl etc and afterwords he started using the parking brake as he really didn't like seeing how much the car could still move around. However he CONSTANTLY complained since god forbid you have 1 more step to get the car moving/parked lol!

Last edited by Striker223; 07-02-24 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-02-24, 02:29 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I use my truck's parking brake in my driveway because it's on an incline. If I put it in park and let off the regular brake before engaging the parking brake, it might roll forward about an inch or two before stopping against the parking prawl. The issue is that my driveway doesn't have that kind of extra space and I'll get a parking ticket for sticking out onto the sidewalk.
Old 07-02-24, 02:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I use my truck's parking brake in my driveway because it's on an incline. If I put it in park and let off the regular brake before engaging the parking brake, it might roll forward about an inch or two before stopping against the parking prawl. The issue is that my driveway doesn't have that kind of extra space and I'll get a parking ticket for sticking out onto the sidewalk.
Thats not the right way to do it.

The parking pawl is not designed to hold the car on its own. You should set the parking brake, then let off the service brake so the parking brake holds the load of the car.

Quick Reply: Should the Design of Automatic Transmission-Shifters in New Vehicles be Standardized?