Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

U.S. auto sales are expected to slow during the second half of 2024

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-24, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that video is so stupid, and the comments are proof of dunning-kruger effect.
Well, that's what many people do when they don't like the message.....blame the messenger LOL.
Old 06-26-24, 12:53 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This video explains it much better than I could do in the short space here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uxnEGEtNk4
If this is how people are getting their news nowadays, it explains a lot.
Old 06-26-24, 12:55 PM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
If this is how people are getting their news nowadays, it explains a lot.
You're not incorrect, but plenty are deaperate for information.
Old 06-26-24, 12:57 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusForever
You're not incorrect, but plenty are deaperate for disinformation.
^^^ Fixed!
Old 06-26-24, 02:05 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Well, that's what many people do when they don't like the message.....blame the messenger LOL.
If the messenger is a damn idiot, that's the correct thing to do.
Old 06-26-24, 02:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Also the spread of misinformation is boosted by the fact that most credible news sources are behind a paywall but liars will spread misinformation for free.
Old 06-26-24, 02:41 PM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Also the spread of misinformation is boosted by the fact that most credible news sources are behind a paywall but liars will spread misinformation for free.
You get what you pay for... so to speak.
Old 06-26-24, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

Actually, the messenger is not an idiot. There is evidence to back up most of what he said.
Old 06-26-24, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sales-prices for both gas and EVs are definitely falling.

https://caredge.com/guides/new-car-p...oogle_vignette
Old 06-26-24, 06:05 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Economy is still strong, employment is still strong. Layoffs so far have been limited to the over hiring during the pandemic or trouble makers (think Google) at big tech companies. People like to spread the narrative that the sky is falling. Travel is still huge and people are still buying cars.

The issue that will cause the slow down of car sales are high prices itself. Avg car prices are around $45k I believe. That's about $1k per month including interest and taxes in car payments with $0 down. That is not sustainable. Manufacturers will have to start discounting to drive more sales.
Old 06-26-24, 06:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I like the funny videos recently on IG comparing how car sales people act during Covid boom vs now.

Definitely good time to buy if you don’t need financing.

I still remember some ppl on this forum saying dealers will never hold inventory and will never see full lots like we had pre-covid.
Well every car dealer has a bunch of inventory collecting dust whether its Corvettes, M cars, Mustangs, Broncos, any Mercedes etc.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-26-24 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-27-24, 06:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

The only "message" being delivered there is one person's opinion and agenda. Everything you see on the internet isn't factual lol
Old 06-27-24, 06:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The only "message" being delivered there is one person's opinion and agenda. Everything you see on the internet isn't factual lol
and that video maker doesn't even care about the opinion, just whatever gets clicks/likes/subscribers. it's garbage.
Old 06-27-24, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and that video maker doesn't even care about the opinion, just whatever gets clicks/likes/subscribers. it's garbage.
Yup, total garbage.

This is a real problem everywhere in our society. Gullible people latch onto garbage like this that supports their worldview and their own personal agendas and extole it as fact. People create this content because it enriches them and people eat it up because they want it to be true. I had a whole argument just a couple weeks ago with someone I know to be an intelligent person that Loudoun County schools has litter boxes in their bathrooms for kids who thought they were cats. She had a video like this talking all about it, and didn't have an answer to my question as to why she didn't just show up at school and look in the bathrooms to see? Her response? "Did you watch the video? Why won't you watch the video?" Because its garbage. Why won't you go look for yourself? Because you know its not true and you know you would find there are no litterboxes lol. I can tell you for sure there are no litterboxes in my kids schools bathrooms. If somebody told you there was a litterbox would you not want to see it?!? I would lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-27-24 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-27-24, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yup, total garbage.

This is a real problem everywhere in our society. Gullible people latch onto garbage like this that supports their worldview and their own personal agendas and extole it as fact. People create this content because it enriches them and people eat it up because they want it to be true. I had a whole argument just a couple weeks ago with someone I know to be an intelligent person that Loudoun County schools has litter boxes in their bathrooms for kids who thought they were cats. She had a video like this talking all about it, and didn't have an answer to my question as to why she didn't just show up at school and look in the bathrooms to see? Her response? "Did you watch the video? Why won't you watch the video?" Because its garbage. Why won't you go look for yourself? Because you know its not true and you know you would find there are no litterboxes lol. I can tell you for sure there are no litterboxes in my kids schools bathrooms. If somebody told you there was a litterbox would you not want to see it?!? I would lol

Just FYI, although a little off topic, the Loudoun County School Board has become famous all across the country for its incompetence.

Quick Reply: U.S. auto sales are expected to slow during the second half of 2024