Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dynamic cruise annoys me

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-24, 01:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
I would sometimes play around with the system in the city just to see how it would react and its fine if there is a car in front of me, but not recommended for obvious reasons. Its clearly not built for that.
Hahaha. There was some guy on the Hyundai forums a couple years ago griping about how bad the system was because how it would react to cars parked along the street....because he was using it on metro streets. Then he raged against all of the other people posting telling him you aren't supposed to use it for that.
Old 06-27-24, 04:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Where it annoys me is when I can be doing 75-80 but that involves moving around people some and it drags my speed down.
with my ioniq i just hit the turn signal and it changes lanes.
Old 06-27-24, 04:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Hahaha. There was some guy on the Hyundai forums a couple years ago griping about how bad the system was because how it would react to cars parked along the street....because he was using it on metro streets. Then he raged against all of the other people posting telling him you aren't supposed to use it for that.

Lmao! My goodness people are ridiculous!

It's funny, in city situations the car displays a warning that pretty much says pay attention and drive at own risk with a funny graphic of a car coming towards me with an arrow swerving directing me around the obstacle. Lol.
Old 06-27-24, 05:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's a neat feature. My X3 has it too. I was surprised/impressed when I first used it.
Old 06-27-24, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Mine does that too. It doesn’t let you get close enough to the car in front of you to make a move in a smooth and uninterrupted way.
Old 06-27-24, 06:38 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm actually sad I wasn't able to find a 540i with adaptive cruise, but it was either that OR ventilated seats and I live in Vegas.

I had a rental VW Atlas a few years ago with it and it was fantastic driving around Virginia and Maryland.

Also if you keep pulling out in front of faster traffic to force them to slow down, you're a terrible driver and should get off the roads.
Old 06-27-24, 06:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Mine does that too. It doesn’t let you get close enough to the car in front of you to make a move in a smooth and uninterrupted way.
Exactly why I mentioned I don't use mine when I get close to other cars, it's good but just not as good as me manually controlling closer distances and merges.
Old 06-27-24, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Also if you keep pulling out in front of faster traffic to force them to slow down, you're a terrible driver and should get off the roads.

amen to that.
Old 06-28-24, 05:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People's inattention on the road is really an issue. I don't know if many people actually do pull out in front of faster traffic to slow people down, or if they just legitimately don't register and recognize that the other drivers are even there. Every single day now I encounter people driving in the left lane constantly being passed on the right. I don't know if they are really so rude and self important that they don't care about that...or do they not even notice. You can pass them and glare at them and flip them off and flash your lights and honk and they don't even react...

I can't tell you the last time I came up on anybody and flashed my lights and they moved over. Its been a LONG time. They don't act weird or get aggressive back to me either its just like I'm not there.

I really think most people are just driving along in their own heads and not really paying attention on any level.
Old 06-28-24, 06:47 AM
Logicallychallenged
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you know you can adjust the distance between the car you're driving and the one in front. if shortest distance isn't close enough for you then you must like bad tailgating.
No, not bad tailgating at all. That is not the point. The car I drove, a new Maxima, when adjusted, would not allow close enough to move efficiently through traffic. Way too far from vehicle in front, probably ten plus car lengths. On the freeway, the idea is to glide through and with traffic seamlessly. This feature does not allow that. In essence, it forces one to move to the left lane way too early, which forces the drivers behind ALREADY in that lane to have their duper cruise slow them down or they RAM right up the backside as you pulled over trying to pass the semi that is way too far up the road...
Old 06-28-24, 07:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Logicallychallenged
No, not bad tailgating at all. That is not the point. The car I drove, a new Maxima, when adjusted, would not allow close enough to move efficiently through traffic. Way too far from vehicle in front, probably ten plus car lengths. On the freeway, the idea is to glide through and with traffic seamlessly. This feature does not allow that. In essence, it forces one to move to the left lane way too early, which forces the drivers behind ALREADY in that lane to have their duper cruise slow them down or they RAM right up the backside as you pulled over trying to pass the semi that is way too far up the road...
If you are passing that's a manual control situation for optimal results, not really the systems fault and in its defense most people are way way WAY too close to each other at interstate speeds
Old 06-28-24, 09:22 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

People's inattention on the road is really an issue. I don't know if many people actually do pull out in front of faster traffic to slow people down, or if they just legitimately don't register and recognize that the other drivers are even there.
In the case of @Logicallychallenged , he says he pulls out in front of people specifically to make them slow down.

He shouldn't be driving.
Old 06-28-24, 11:23 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I love dynamic/adaptive cruise. My GX had std and it felt much nicer on her (older) RX's adaptive cruise. It really takes some load off me while cruising. Still paying attention but much less involved. When I went to German, I thought they all were adaptive. My first German had std. It turned out it wasn't too bad because I can easily use the scroller on the steering wheel to go up or down. German's hand free is nice. Similarly Tesla's auto pilot is nice as well. In any case, I wouldn't cruise past 75 unless I'm out in an isolated freeway.
Old 06-28-24, 11:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
In the case of @Logicallychallenged , he says he pulls out in front of people specifically to make them slow down.

He shouldn't be driving.
110% agree. Thats illegal vigilante nonsense.
Old 06-28-24, 01:04 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I love dynamic/adaptive cruise. My GX had std and it felt much nicer on her (older) RX's adaptive cruise. It really takes some load off me while cruising. Still paying attention but much less involved. When I went to German, I thought they all were adaptive. My first German had std. It turned out it wasn't too bad because I can easily use the scroller on the steering wheel to go up or down. German's hand free is nice. Similarly Tesla's auto pilot is nice as well. In any case, I wouldn't cruise past 75 unless I'm out in an isolated freeway.
I'm just amazed the VW I drove had it but most G30 5 series don't. It was an option, but an exceedingly rare one. The few I found that had it did not option the ventilated seats. I wanted both, but was forced to choose.

Quick Reply: Dynamic cruise annoys me