Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dynamic cruise annoys me

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-24, 03:09 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 363 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Dynamic cruise annoys me

I'm defining "dynamic cruise" as cruise control that monitors the distance between your car and the one in front of it.

I don't use cruise control all that much, and neither of my prior vehicles (2010 LX and 2010 LS) had dynamic cruise. Now, I have a 2021 QX80 that I use on road trips and it has dynamic cruise. I understand the concept and think fundamentally it is good... except when people don't actively take over and drive and just leave the car on dynamic cruise.

I do a decent amount of highway driving (mostly on 95 in FL), and I've started to pay more attention as to what causes a lot of "bunching up" of traffic. And I'm convinced it's a lot of people keeping dynamic cruise on and just staying in their lane - instead of turning it off and finding a way to get around a vehicle that they need to/should pass. Even with my QX80 set to give me the "least" amount of distance between me and a car in front of me, I know it would be annoying to be behind me if I were to leave it on. And if you watch what happens if a car gets annoyed and gets in front of a car that is using dynamic cruise, that car is now forced to brake in order to create the appropriate amount of distance the driver has set. It's like an unnecessary brake-check which then causes a chain reaction of braking all through traffic.

When you have 4 or 5 lanes of traffic moving 75-90mph and lots of people clearly using dynamic cruise, I think it's highly problematic. Am I alone here?
Old 06-26-24, 04:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

i get where you're coming from but i'm a giant fan of adaptive cruise and use if every day. (my community exits onto a 4 lane highway into town.)

anyone using adaptive cruise on a 3 lane a side highway should NOT be in the left lane unless they've decided they alone will dictate what the fastest any traffic should go. if that's not 'fast' then as you say, people are going to tailgate, then go around, then go back in front, rinse, and repeat.

so i don't think it's the feature, but more unaware / uncaring drivers using it.

and a 'decent amount' of driving on i-95 in florida will drive anyone nuts.
Old 06-26-24, 05:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,176 Likes on 874 Posts

I use it as my limiter, I set it to 7.5 over limit so when I'm not "driving" or near other cars I don't have to manually mind my speed. Near other cars I take over as needed or if someone is in the correct lane and doing a good pace I tap up to 90 and follow them.
Old 06-26-24, 06:26 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i get where you're coming from but i'm a giant fan of adaptive cruise and use if every day. (my community exits onto a 4 lane highway into town.)

anyone using adaptive cruise on a 3 lane a side highway should NOT be in the left lane unless they've decided they alone will dictate what the fastest any traffic should go. if that's not 'fast' then as you say, people are going to tailgate, then go around, then go back in front, rinse, and repeat.

so i don't think it's the feature, but more unaware / uncaring drivers using it.

and a 'decent amount' of driving on i-95 in florida will drive anyone nuts.
I agree - I think fundamentally the tech does its job. The drivers who just leave it on and stay in their lane (even if it's the middle lane) are causing the issue, and then I think it compounds because those drivers refuse to turn off the dynamic cruise and someone jumps in front of them and their car slows down as a result of needing to keep proper distance behind that car.
Old 06-26-24, 08:44 PM
Logicallychallenged
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This dynamic cruise is a backwards feature that makes driving more frustrating for the person using it as well as all others around.

However, it is fun to play games with a new car and slow them down by pulling in front of them if they are messing up traffic.

I had a rental that had it, and after the first thirty minutes of using it I could not use it any longer as it is unnatural in its operation. You can not get close enough to the car or semi in front of you to pull out without the car slowing down for you unexpectedly.
Old 06-27-24, 05:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Logicallychallenged
This dynamic cruise is a backwards feature that makes driving more frustrating for the person using it as well as all others around.
ok then.

However, it is fun to play games with a new car and slow them down by pulling in front of them if they are messing up traffic.
why would you want to do this?

You can not get close enough to the car or semi in front of you to pull out without the car slowing down for you unexpectedly.
you know you can adjust the distance between the car you're driving and the one in front. if shortest distance isn't close enough for you then you must like bad tailgating.
Old 06-27-24, 05:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't agree. I think adaptive cruise is far and away superior to standard cruise. Particularly when I'm traveling the I-95 corridor between Wash/Balt/Phila/NYC/Boston; typical cruise has to constantly be turned on and off.
Old 06-27-24, 05:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I can't agree. I think adaptive cruise is far and away superior to standard cruise. Particularly when I'm traveling the I-95 corridor between Wash/Balt/Phila/NYC/Boston; typical cruise has to constantly be turned on and off.
completely agree.

on major roads my hyundai also allows hands off wheel driving for minutes at a time (highway driving assist feature) and it steers perfectly. big help in making long drives less draining.

Old 06-27-24, 05:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

For me it depends on the road. On a road where there is a lot of traffic and you have to move around cars and change lanes then it annoys me. On a more sparsely populated road I absolutely love it.

For me adding lane centering to it made a huge difference in my appreciation of it. On a long trip having the car do the work of keeping the car in the center of the lane and minding your speed takes a lot of the stress of driving off of your shoulders.
Old 06-27-24, 06:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For me it depends on the road. On a road where there is a lot of traffic and you have to move around cars and change lanes then it annoys me. On a more sparsely populated road I absolutely love it.

For me adding lane centering to it made a huge difference in my appreciation of it. On a long trip having the car do the work of keeping the car in the center of the lane and minding your speed takes a lot of the stress of driving off of your shoulders.
On a sparsely populated road, what difference would it provide compared to traditional (old school) cruise control?
Old 06-27-24, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
On a sparsely populated road, what difference would it provide compared to traditional (old school) cruise control?
The difference is that you know when you do come up on somebody its going to react, it takes that level of attention off of your shoulders which reduces your fatigue. Plus in my car it does 80% of the driving in that situation

I also love it in very slow traffic because it just drives along by itself really. Where it annoys me is when I can be doing 75-80 but that involves moving around people some and it drags my speed down.
Old 06-27-24, 11:37 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The difference is that you know when you do come up on somebody its going to react, it takes that level of attention off of your shoulders which reduces your fatigue. Plus in my car it does 80% of the driving in that situation

I also love it in very slow traffic because it just drives along by itself really. Where it annoys me is when I can be doing 75-80 but that involves moving around people some and it drags my speed down.
Got it. Interesting a couple/few people have pointed out some level of driving fatigue. I don't experience that, and I've been a road warrior doing 50-60k miles/year (luckily not anymore). I hardly ever use cruise control of any sort. I can see how it helps, I just have always preferred to be in complete control. On my Tesla, I only use AutoPilot to show people, or to see how much it's improved after an update, or if I've had a couple of drinks.
Old 06-27-24, 11:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Honestly, I would never again purchase a car without it. All three of my vehicles have it, and I use it in all three.

I don't really like to use it in super busy traffic, but out in the open with just moderate to light traffic, I really love it. I love how it'll just adjust as you hit little pockets of cars or vehicles exiting or entering the freeway.

I don't get the impression that most of the cars around me are using it, especially in high traffic.
Old 06-27-24, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Got it. Interesting a couple/few people have pointed out some level of driving fatigue. I don't experience that, and I've been a road warrior doing 50-60k miles/year (luckily not anymore). I hardly ever use cruise control of any sort. I can see how it helps, I just have always preferred to be in complete control. On my Tesla, I only use AutoPilot to show people, or to see how much it's improved after an update, or if I've had a couple of drinks.
I never realized the impact it had until I had a car with it, and also have a car without it.
Old 06-27-24, 01:23 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I dont find DCC annoying at all. When I had to commute to my office I would use DCC daily. Kia/Hyundai/Genesis system is amazing in heavy stop and go highway traffic. Turn it on and let it do its thing. It even brakes and slows for sweeping turns to keep passengers comfortable. I love it on the highway in pretty much any rate of traffic.

I would sometimes play around with the system in the city just to see how it would react and its fine if there is a car in front of me, but not recommended for obvious reasons. Its clearly not built for that.

Quick Reply: Dynamic cruise annoys me